Fiat X1/9 and Lancia Scorpion suspension re-fresh kits available again !

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Note this may be considered a commercial post.

Hi Folks. Good news. Yup...as the title suggests....my famous suspension re-fresh kits are available again. What with world-wide supply chain issues...it has been a struggle to accumulate all the bits needed for these kits. Some of the components have been on order for a year and a half !! This time I have "decent" supply.

And even better news. I was finally able to obtain some unobtanium X1/9 1300 and Lancia Scorpion rear ball joint boots. So can offer complete kits for those models now !!

So yes - suspension re-fresh kits. Typically one of the most neglected aspects of our cars. After 40 or so years, most of us still have all the original and tired suspension bushings and boots. This should be addressed as part of a restoration - or as a simple re-fresh project. Many of you have been investing in fancy coil-overs and zoomy wheels and tires...without addressing the basics.

The job is fairly easy as the X1/9/Scorpion has a very simple suspension system. But the parts required are now very tough - if not impossible - to obtain. Until now....

So...I obtained - or re-produced - all the parts that are likely to be required. And am offering them in complete kits. Ready now in limited quantities.

The front kit contains the following :
x19 front kit a.jpg

4 x radius rod bushings. These are found at the front of the radius arm, and are usually the most worn bushing. The ones on your X are likely quite worn, leading to shaking and slop. These are very high quality Italian made rubber bushings. Recent production.

2 x radius rod grommets. The blue things shown. They are found inside the radius rod bracket at the front of the car. And isolate the steel bushing. Not visible until you dismantle. And are quite often deteriorated to the point of being actually quite often missing entirely !! Leading to rattles and slop. You may not even realize they are supposed to be there. These were re-designed and produced right here in Canada to my specs. From a form of polyurethane. Just pliable enough to be able to be installed easily by hand. No boiling water needed.... Durable and compliant.

2 x front control arm inner bushings. High quality Italian rubber. Recent production. The ones on your X are likely cracked and hardened by now. They are indeed a bit of a bear to install, but well worth the effort.

10 x new nyloc nuts. All the ones you need to disturb. Some are a very odd sized special "high type". They should be replaced instead of re-using the old original ones. I could not find these anywhere in North America. So imported them from Europe. All are to OE spec. Grade 8 zinc plated. With the proper OE wrench size.

And then.....the boots.... Ahhh...the boots. They were by far the most challenging items to source. None of the usual vendors offer these.

For the front ball joints.....there were actually 2 different types of boots ( and control arms ) supplied during the long X1/9 production run. Look closely at the pic below. It seems...the 1500 models came with a control arm and boot like the one on the left. With a boot that was held on by 2 funky wire clips. While the 1300 models and Scorpions had a control arm with a boot that had an integral steel ring that pressed onto the control arm. The boots are NOT interchangeable !!

x19 front control arms.jpg
x19 front control arms.jpg

note the control arm IS different in the spot the pencil point to. And thus requires the proper type boot.

For the 1500 style boots....I was finally able to order custom boots from Europe. To the exact size and shape of the OE boots. They fit perfectly. Requires you to re-use the original clips. And...I was able to spec them in an upgraded polyurethane material. Nothing better !!

For the 1300 style boots, I was able to find high quality Italian rubber reproductions. With the integral steel ring as shown.

The kit is supplied with your choice of boot types. Two of each of course. You must specify which type you need. It should - in theory - be a 1300 vs 1500 thing - but perhaps your X had new control arms ( the whole arms are interchangeable between any year ) installed in the past. It does seem most of the replacement arms that have been available over the years - and even currently - are actually the 1300 type. Please look carefully at the pics and order the type you need. My boots "should" fit aftermarket replacement arms of each type.....but I cannot guarantee that.

The kit also contains 2 x front outer tie rod end boots. Yeah...I know that is actually part of the steering - not suspension - but those cracked boots on my car were crying out......and I was sourcing all the other boots...so why not. From all my research..it seems ALL X1/9s came with tie rod boots of the "press-on" type with integral steel ring. They look just like the 1300 ball joint boots - only smaller in size. For these I was able to source quality Italian replacement rubber boots. These are likely the type you need...however...it seems most replacement tie rod ends for the X1/9 are actually the type that require the"clip-on" style boot.

Again.....that type I was able to custom order - in an upgraded poly boot - the perfect size for any of the replacement style tie rod ends I found.

And again...you must check your car and specify what type you would like included in your kit.

And finally.....the kit contains a tube of high end special moly grease. So you can clean out all the old hardened and cruddy grease from the joints before replacing the boots. Research indicated this is the best grease to use. In a handy squeeze tube with lid.

So there you have it. Everything in one handy kit from one source.

Just specify :

Kit A - In theory for most 1500 X1/9s. Includes clip-on style ball joint boots and press-on style tie rod end boots

Kit B - in theory for most 1300 X1/9s and Scorpions. Includes press-on style ball joint boots and press-on style tie rod end boots

Kit C - Includes clip-on style ball joint boots and clip-on style tie rod end boots

Kit D - includes press-on style ball joint boots and clip-on style tie rod end boots.

As I had great difficulty in obtaining some of the components, for now I will only be offering the kits, and not individual bits. Although I do have lots of the radius rod grommets if you want to just order some of them. Depending on the take of the boot types, I may well have some of the boots left over when the dust settles.

Kit pricing: ( the same for any variant )

Only $87 Canadian plus shipping. Contact me for a shipping quote.

As I anticipate most of the orders will be coming from our USA members..I will offer a very special deal for you folks

Only $79 US complete with air mail shipping. But...this offer is only available under 1 condition...Payment to ME in US funds ( Paypal recognizes that I am in Canada and defaults to converting it to Canadian funds at my end ). You can change that part way through the process to specify that I receive US funds. It makes NO difference to the amount you pay - still $79 US -just how I get it.. If...you are are unable - or unwilling - to pay me in this manner - that is okay by me. Just pay in Canadian $$ and contact me for a shipping quote. If you cant figure out that US $ Paypal thing...I can simply send you a Paypal request that you just click on.

Moving on....of course I am also offering a REAR suspension re-fresh kit.
x19 kit rear.jpg

This includes:

4 x rear A arm bushings. High quality Italian bushings. Recent production.

8 x special nyloc nuts. Grade 8 zinc plated. Proper OE wrench size.

2 x wheel bearing v ring seal. This may seem like an odd item to include...but you will sadly discover that to remove the A arm from the car ( to change the bushings or to replace the ball joint boot ).......you must first disconnect the driveshaft and remove the stub axle on the 1500 X and Scorpion ( no big deal ) - or remove the driveshaft on the 1300 X at which point this seal ( or the remnants of it ) is now exposed and begging to be changed. Might as well...

2 x ball joint boots. Yes...like the fronts... there were two different types of joints and boots supplied from the factory. And yes....the 1300 models and Scorpions again came with a press-on type boot with integral metal retaining ring. This type I have recently been able to supply . Again...the 1500 models came with a "clip-on" style boot. These I was finally able to special order - a perfect replacement fit. Again in an upgraded poly material. I even upgraded to a double bellows design for more flexibility. Re-use your existing clips for a secure and perfect fit. This is NOT a generic universal slip-over boot that others provide.

2 x outer rear toe link boots. Again, a custom upgraded OE style boot in poly. A perfect fit.

2 x cotter pins for the outer toe link castle nut. An oddball metric size. 18-8 stainless.

1 x tube of special moly grease for re-greasing the ball joints.

Edit - full disclosure here - there is another steel/rubber bushing in the rear suspension - at the inner end of each rear toe link - that is NOT included in this kit. But....there is so little rubber in these bushings ( well under 1/8" ) and there is so little motion at this bushing....and these are 99% of the time still in decent condition...and they are very difficult to source....and expensive if you can find them.... I felt it is usually not needed to be changed...and would have substantially increased the costs of the kits. So i drew a line there. If you are really keen to change them while you are in there...contact me and I will try to guide you to a source for them.....

Complete kit - note you must specify the ball joint boot type needed. The boots are NOT interchangeable. See the pic below. The old rusty arm is from a 1300 - Scorpions look the same. The nicely painted arm is from my 1500. Note the difference.

x19 rear arms.jpg

Kit F - in theory for all 1500 X1/9s. Contains clip-on type ball joint boots

Kit G - in theory for all 1300 X1/9s. Contains press-on type ball joint boots and 1300 type bearing seal

Kit H - in theory for all Scorpions. Contains press-on type ball joint boots and 1500 type bearing seal.

Note: As far as I have seen, ALL X1/9s and Scorpions had a rear toe link end with clip-on type boots.

Rear kit pricing: $145 Canadian plus shipping

Again....a special deal for USA Xweb folks. Only $125 US including air mail shipping. but same conditions as above.

Or.....a special mombo-combo deal for both kits: Includes only one tube of grease ( more than enough )
$217 Canadian plus shipping
$189 US including shipping ( above conditions )

Last time I felt bad that I disappointed some folks with my limited stock. This time I think I have enough for a short while to satisfy anyone who wants a kit. When these are gone...not sure how long it would take for another offering....or if I have the energy and patience to go through this again !!

I think....last time I was able to help out eventually those who requested as stock trickled in. If anyone out there asked to go on a waiting list...and I have not yet fulfilled them...i'd be happy to sell them kits at the old original price. If anyone bought a partial kit off me last year.....contact me and I will do my best to supply you the missing bits.

Or if anyone requires some type of odd mix and match kit due to a mix of year or model component on their car.....just contact me for a custom kit !!

For info and hints on installing these kits..just read here:

And a link to other cool bits I have available:

Thanks for looking. Thanks for your support. Doug

Last edited:
Hi folks. Thanks for all the interest here and via PM.

As I dont want anyone to be disappointed in what they get.....I want you all to make 100 % sure you are ordering the proper boots !!!

Yes...I do know what SHOULD be on your particular X or Scorpion.....but....although I am confident...there is always the chance..this is Italian coachbuilt autos we are dealing with....and it is certainly possible that batches of cars have parts that were installed at the factory in which the production guys didn't bother to tell the spare parts guys. The worst for this is the '78 X1/9s as I have seen some 1500 parts on them. Maybe lost in the transition....

And...after 40-50 years of multiple owners...or poor memory of the existing owner....it is certainly possible that different replacement parts have been installed over time.

I'm sorry to say that the only sure way of getting the correct boots in your kits is to check on the car itself !!!

Boots will be one of two types.

The first type - mostly found on the 1300 cars and Scorpions - are what I call "press-on" type boots. These boots have an integral steel ring bonded into them at the big end. And no clip on the small end. Here are some examples:press-on boot 2.jpgpress-on boot 3.jpgpress-on boot.jpgpress-on tom.jpg

Most 1500 X1/9s have what I call "clip-on" type boots. These boots are pure rubber and have funky wire-wound clips at each end of the boot. You can see the boots has a recess where clip sits in. Some examples are:

clip-on boot.jpgclip-on boot 2.jpgclip-on boot 3.jpgclip-on bj.jpeg

Below are some typical Fiat ball joints that shows were the arms are indeed different where the boots lands. The boot types are NOT interchangeable. Note the landing area where the boots joins the arm. The press-on type has a straight shank there where the steel integral ring presses onto. The clip-on type has a recessed groove for the end of the boot to set into.

clip-on vs press-on 2.jpgclip-on vs press-on.jpg

Generally speaking....the 1300 X1/9s and Scorpions should have press-on type boots on both front and rear lower ball joints. And the same type boots on the front outer tie rod ends.

The 1500 X1/9s should have clip-on type boots on both front and rear lower ball joints. But with press-on boots on the front outer tie rod ends.

All X1/9s and Scorpions should have clip-on type boots on the rear outer toe link joints.

Note that all X1/9s and Scorpions should have come from the factory with press-on type boots on the front outer tie rod ends. BUT..it seems most replacement outer tie rod ends came with clip-on type boots. I have those as well and they seem to fit on any replacement tie rod ends I have come across.

So please folks....before ordering please try to check on your particular car for the proper boot types you need. Hint - even check both sides as I have seen different type boots on the other side of the car !!!

If you still are not sure...just take some pics of your boots and post them here or PM them to me.

This is all pretty easy. I want you to get the proper parts in your kits.

Attachments

• clip-on vs press-on 2.jpg
    clip-on vs press-on 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 8
  • clip-on vs press-on 2.jpg
    clip-on vs press-on 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6
Kits still available? Want to order for a 76 scorpion

Yes...i still have stock of all kits at this time. No problem...just PM me for Paypal address....

And yes....I know exactly what boot types SHOULD be on your Scorpion....but.....after 46 years some things might have been changed/updated by a previous owner !! So I would urge you to check the boot types on your car as described above to be sure. If you have any doubts at all...just snap some pics and post them here or PM them to me.

Thanks, Doug

I'll have to wait until I can look under the car, I'll get back to you shortly!

no problem. The front is easy. No need to even jack the car up or take a wheel off. Just crank the steering over to full lock and take a pic like this:
clip-on bj.jpeg

Try to get a similar pic of the rear ball joint.

Or.....a special mombo-combo deal for both kits: Includes only one tube of grease ( more than enough )

Kit B and G? Available at the above price?

Kit B and G? Available at the above price?

Yes, I have stock. And yes, still at above prices. Just send me a PM for Paypal info.

Thanks, Doug

I have an ‘86 X1/9, what is the kit(s) that match up to your offering(s)?

If...your X is as it left the factory.....you would need a kit A for the front...and a kit F for the rear.

However.....if in its 37 years somebody had installed new - or different - ball joints or tie rods...you may require different boots. The only way to know for sure is to look. If you cant figure it out...just crank the front wheels over to full lock and snap a pic like the one 4 posts ago.

Last edited:
I’m going to have to jack it up to get enough light to take the pictures. It looks like your #8 post to me.
It seems to me that your kit replaces more items than I was able to locate.

I’ll follow up this evening or Thursday.

I’m going to have to jack it up to get enough light to take the pictures. It looks like your #8 post to me.

That would be ideal...but not really needed. Just crank the steering to full lock and stick your phone camera in there to get a pic like in post #8. It is really only the front where you might find any changes. Unless someone had put older 1300 rear A arms on your car - not likely....Oh...and do check both front sides...as I have seen X's with different boot types from side to side......

It seems to me that your kit replaces more items than I was able to locate.

Yes...there are a lot of parts in my kits. some you wont even see until you dismantle everything. But dont worry...all the bushings and grommets are the same throughout the years...there are no variations there. The only differences you might find are different boot types if someone had changed something over the years...

The photos still didn’t turn out well, even with a work light, but I think these are what you need.

1 each front driver and passenger side.

Let me know if that doesn’t make sense.

Attachments

• 170CC78C-4447-4BC7-BD0E-F173F3A072FD.jpeg
    170CC78C-4447-4BC7-BD0E-F173F3A072FD.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 21
  • 07B31478-5A2A-41DC-BF93-78E8695ACA01.jpeg
    07B31478-5A2A-41DC-BF93-78E8695ACA01.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 21
The photos still didn’t turn out well

Geez.....those are excellent pics !!! Far better than ones I take....

I can easily see what boots you need there. Those are just what an '86 would have come with from the factory. No problem there....

But...can you also take a couple of quick pics of your front outer tie rod ends ? Real easy, just crank the wheels and take pics like this of each side

tie rod end.jpeg

And hey......where is all the rust ?? Seems to be missing in your pics......

Thanks, this car has enjoyed an easy life. Bought it in 1998, it’s been rained on twice since then.

More photos Thursday PM.

These turned out better

Attachments

• 3748F446-EDC8-49D4-B865-D86FC22C80F6.jpeg
    3748F446-EDC8-49D4-B865-D86FC22C80F6.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 46FCCEBC-3F79-4871-8D29-4D1318093183.jpeg
    46FCCEBC-3F79-4871-8D29-4D1318093183.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
These turned out better

Great pics !! if your day job doesn't work out I think you have potential for a photography career.....

But aha...it is good we checked !!! Those are NOT the tie rod end boots I would have expected to see. Either the tie rod ends have been changed over the years...or Bertone got a batch of slightly different tie rod ends in for the production line....and the production guys never talked to the guys doing the spare parts listings....I have seen lots of strange things from the Italian coachbuilders of that era.....

Whatever..no worries...I have the proper boots for those tie rod ends.

You will be needing a kit C for the front. And I'm confident you will need a kit F for the rear.

Sorry to have made you take those pics...but in this case it was worthwhile. I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted to have gotten wrong bits....

Just PM me if you want to order . Thanks, Doug

Back