Finally! I got to drive my b16 x!

autox19

True Classic
Finally, after 7, yes 7 years I finally got to drive my car. Good news? Yes. But a little anticlimatic. I have a list of to-dos now. 1. We discovered while trying to start it the intake cam is off a tooth. Going to attempt to fix it in the car but might need to pull the engine again :( . 2. I hacked up throttle linkage which was good for testing but not good for driving. Won't reach WOT so vtec won't kick in (no vtec yo). Still hate the linkage. I have to adjust it because I dont have 5th or reverse. I had those a few weeks ago when the engine with the spun bearing was in it. Thinking of moving to using the k series cable. Some mid engine subaru people use a cable for custom push pull and like it. Are the k series people using the stock shifter and cables? Are they long enough to reach?

Anyway pretty geeked. It was dark so I didn't get a vid other than "live" on Facebook when we started it. My buddy got a short vid of me pulling away and back in. I will post it when I get it from him.

Odie

Congrats Odie. I think my 78 has been sitting unfinished for at least 7 years, probably more.

Video/pics or it didn't happen..

Odie
After seven years I would think you could at least wait till morning to take pictures. How ever it does sound great and the headlights coming around in the dark with a flash of the car as it goes by is kind of artsy.

From the dark of night the Red Shadow strikes again!

I wouldn't have been able to wait til it was light out to drive it either. Congrats on getting it going!

Are the k series people using the stock shifter and cables? Are they long enough to reach?

Congratulations, it's a huge step. I can't wait to get the engine fired on my project. Realistically a year away though.

My K20 X uses the stock shifter cables, they reach just fine. But with the B engine being swapped side for side I'm not sure if that proves anything. The shifter itself is a custom piece based on the Honda unit, but is not "stock". Built by MWB.

Hope this helps.

Pete

ahhh I might have to rethink it. here is the vid of what I am thinking of.

so the stock K shifter doesnt really fit in the "tunnel"? I was thinking about A VW shifter as well. there are cable shifters for about $100 rather than the K series which is about $200. The big thing is I would love to not have to have custom length cables made.

Odie

Not sure about the stock shifter fitting in the tunnel. Since I didn't do that engineering work, I'm not certain why a non-stock solution had to be created. But since the stock shifter routes the cables forward and we need them to go back, it seems like the stock shifter would provide an inverted shifting pattern. Possibly could be overcome with clever linkage at the other end, but I don't really have any knowledge of the stock Honda shifter.

On my 037 project, I made use of a Boxster shifter. That was the logical choice since I was using a Boxster transaxle, but I think it could be adapted easily enough. But since that went in a Scorpion tunnel I can't say for sure it would fit in an X1/9. Cables are plenty long, since the Boxster is a longitudinal application. The Boxster/Caymen guys like to swap out their shifters and cables for aftermarket, so you can pick them up on eBay for fairly cheap.

Back