Finished my Lido refurb....picture heavy!

It may well be...

Pete, are you sure that's not a steering wheel from a Spider that was fitted to the X1/9? Looks an awful lot like the steering wheel I had in both of my previous Fiat Spiders.

Same wheel was in my 79 Spider

I still want it! :)

Pete

Truly a magnificent job. I really like the look of the black

piping on the white seats. Both Matt and Jim beat me to it, but I will never understand how y'all on the other side of the pond can't get the steering wheel on the "correct" side of the car.:) Maybe it has to do with a shared gene pool with folks from "down under".:devil:

Really, a stunning job you've done with the X. I hope it gives you many, many years of driving pleasure.

Mike

Looks amazing! Did you paint her in metallic black or flat black? It's hard to tell in the pics.

That's one hell of a refurb you have done there. And you struck gold with finding a Lido that was so straight and solid to begin with.

I'm in West Yorkshire. Hopefully I'll get to see your car in the flesh one day.

Regards,

Mickey

Hi Mickey

It's been done in metallic it really does look a great colour in the sunlight, now just got to sort out my fuel starvation problem I have tried taking off the fuel cap put on a new fuel pump and filter checked the filter in the tank...struggling at the moment! It keeps going to stall but if I pull the choke on it picks up again so has to be a fuel problem....:sigh:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe try remove the air filter, then remove the top of the carb to check the float level. If this is set oddly, it can cause what you're describing. Also pull the jets and blast em with carb cleaner and compressed air.

I once had so many odd carb issues that I just removed the whole thing, turned it upside down and blasted it with loads of carb cleaner for a day. That cured it!

Dodgy fuel pump could also do it. Might be good to just start at the tank, renewing the hoses to the pump, also fitting a glass in line filter so you can see what's been dredged up from the tank. Then replace the pump, then the lines to the carb, and back to the tank. That way, you know all those things are bang on.

Then start on any possible electrical woes. I cannot recommend the Lumenition electronic ignition kits enough. No more messing with points!

Also, how old is the coil?

You've done such an amazing job on the body work, you'll probably now have to deal with all the mechanical stuff to a similarly high standard! ;-)

Keep us posted!

Mickey

Before you go, could you post a link to here from the UK Owner's Club facebook etc? I remember they were discussing that car just before you bought it. I think they'll be blown away with how it all turned out!

Safe travels.

Mickey

VERY nice!!!
Will you feel comfortable driving it or will she be more of a museum piece/trailer queen?

Geekdaddy

Oh trust me it will be used!

Mickey

I have also run a similar thread on the UK X19 owners club.

Kev

Well done mate

It's as nice a resto mod as I've seen. Lots of good stuff comes from Manchester! :shock2::laugh:

Beautiful car!!! It makes me miss blackX.

Do you have more pictures of the custom glove box, inside and out? I might be interested in doing that mod to Il Mela Verde. I'm interested in how you did the hinge, and where you did the cutting of the late model glove box interior.

Here's my black car washing method from Xweb1 :)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1213893401

Last edited:
hmmm

I hate you ! .... in a very constructive and nice way .
damn, your car looks amazing ..... I am spechless .
congrats !

Not from a 124...

Pete, are you sure that's not a steering wheel from a Spider that was fitted to the X1/9? Looks an awful lot like the steering wheel I had in both of my previous Fiat Spiders.

The steering wheel shown on his Lido is most definitely NOT the same as used on the late 124 Spiders, it is likely an Abarth wheel for/from an Autobianchi A112 or 124 CSA Rally (or a copy of one, as the Abarth wheel normally has the name stamped on the center spoke). I used to have the Abarth version of this same wheel on my old 850 Spider:

old69stwhl.jpg

The late 124 steering wheel has a larger diameter, has thinner/more tapered spokes with larger cut-outs, a thinner grip (rim), a different hub & is made by Ferraro (signature is seen on lower part of right spoke). It was a "clone" of the Abarth steering wheel that came before it.

If you compare the two side-by-side, you can definitely tell the difference:

resized_IMG_0591_zpsb423d7db.jpg

DSCN0348.JPG

Back