Firewall insulation

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Hi folks. Need to replace the firewall insulation panel on my '81. I know that the NOS part is no longer available - in fact I don't think it ever was.

I know that Henk sells a replacement, but it comes in three pieces and does not look like the original. Used ones are usually pretty ratty so I am going to try to make my own.

I have been looking for suitable material for quite a while now. The closest I can find is:

http://www.designengineering.com/ca...l-products/under-hood-thermal-acoustic-lining

It seems to have a pattern quite similar to the original and seems to be about the right thickness.

So...

1) Has anyone out there used this stuff ?

2) Got a better alternative ?

3) Note that it comes 32" wide. Is this enough for 2 pieces ? My old piece disintegrated and came out in several pieces. Anyone out there able to measure the width needed ? I think the length is okay ?

4) Anyone have a somewhat intact panel that we could use as a pattern?

5) Any interest out there in making up a few sets ? I can buy this product wholesale through my work and if we can get 2 cars from one piece I think it would be viable ?

Thanks, Doug

This product looks very much like one I have used before. I found that the aluminum coating is not very durable.
When I re did mine I used fiberglass Matt and covered that with a thin aluminum sheeting. I used rivets to Hold the whole lot on. It looks far from stock but is very effective and durable. Have a look in my build thread for a better idea of what I am talking about.
showthread.php?p=52932&page=4

Last edited:
Not enough for 2 pieces

You'll need the whole thing to make up the firewall.
Looks interesting though. I wonder how the foam backing will hold up (over time) to the engine heat?

I have a good, complete original firewall insulation from a donor X that I'll try and make a pattern for. (It's slated for use in Mac-X)

Passed it On

Hi Roger,
I had provided the pattern to another X head that was working on a similar project about a few weeks after I got the pattern (wanted to continue the chain). I tried contacting him when I saw the post but no response (number has been changed). Will try to drive there today or tomorrow to see whats going on.

Please make the template available. If you can give me the dimensions I would be happy to create a DXF, DWG or most any other file that could be used to cut the part on a waterjet cutting machine or similar.

As a digital file it could have a life across continents and not be lost in a move...not that it has, just sayin'

Karl

Calmotion:
Sorry I was responding to Bob, I didn't mean anything by my quip, nor asking that you bear any responsibility. If you do get it back, please trace it and let me know and I will paypal the cash to have you snail mail it to me. Thanks!
Karl

Last edited:
Pattern

The template was a pattern of the firewall insulation that you can fold and mail (was mailed to me). I was hoping he would have said that he was done and give it back (so I can continue the chain as I had done with him). I did try to call and the number has change. Will see if he is still there if not I guess its lost.

I have a good, complete original firewall insulation from a donor X that I'll try and make a pattern for. (It's slated for use in Mac-X)

Please make the template available. If you can give me the dimensions I would be happy to create a DXF, DWG or most any other file that could be used to cut the part on a waterjet cutting machine or similar.

As a digital file it could have a life across continents and not be lost in a move...not that it has, just sayin'

Karl

Firewall image revised

This image is 2 megs. (D/L warn)

Those of you with CAD or the likes can make an image from this.
Do note the firewall pattern is 48 in. long. Length and width can be determined from the rulers. (which weren't placed as good as I thought!)

Let me know how you all make out, and please share this. Thanks...

Image here:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6671/firewallinsulation1.jpg

Last edited:
Those of you with CAD or the likes can make an image from this.
Do note the firewall pattern is 48 in. long. Length and width can be determined from the rulers. (which weren't placed as good as I thought!)

Let me know how you all make out, and please share this. Thanks...

Thanks!
This is the way I have interpreted this image:
Files removed, please see this post: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/119112/

I am a bit concerned about the opening on the left, I adjusted it as it looked like it would have been a bit more regular and joined versus broken/ripped. If you have access to a large format printer you could print it and verify my drawing over the photo.

Is the opening on the far right a tilted obround as I have shown it?

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great Karl,

I've made some changes marked in RED.
Overall looks really good but I've adjusted the bitmap and marked the adjustments so you can correct the Cad file.

Take note the angled hole is good.
The left side needs to be closed.
A hole needs to be increased to another you have.
Other minor changes noted.

The notches to the latches (distance) has not been measured to an actual cover. One of us has to do that to insure the center of the notches labeled "Cover Latch" lines up.

This will be the most accurate firewall insulation picture to date!
Thanks for your contribution. Please make your CAD changes and email me the dxf file and big jpg to: bbrown03431 at gmail.com. My regular mail addy can't handle it.

I'll print it out and do an overlay on top of the original and test it to the back side of Mac-X.

Thanks man! :clap:

My photo changes here:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8092/fwinsulation.jpg

I will get back to you with a revised version tomorrow night. If you see anything else that needs adjusting let me know.

It may take a few tries. I tried to adjust for variations in the image relative to the embossed grid on the insulation.

Karl

I am new to this forum and I’m astonished when I read this thread and how the individuals that make up this community have collaborated on this one issue. You guys have taken a rough template and converted it to a CAD file in a matter of days.

All I can say is …… WOW……

Great job…..

Thanks Alex, Karl this is good

Good enough to print a life-size template and see how it fits.
Give me at least a day to make any further adjustments.
What you've got here looks really good. Stay tuned...

BTW Alex, this was put together in an evening. :) Karl gets the credit for his speedy CAD skills. :clap: All I did was take a picture. :pimp:

Thanks gents. Glad to give a little back.

Let me know what is needed. I can do the jpg at a higher resolution if you desire.

You might consider getting eDrawings which will allow you open, view print and so on DXF and DWG files. Draftsight is another solution which is Autocad like and is also free and will allow you to also draw, modify etc a DXF/DWG.

I can also do a full size PDF if needed.

Karl

All set for now...

I have AutoCAD, but I'm a rookie. :read:
Too busy drawing schematics I guess...
I've made an image at real size but the biggest I can print is in 11 x 17 increments. Better than nothing I suppose. :huh2:

I'll put this together this evening and report back. :woot:

Thanks

Thanks Bob. It looks like the guy had move two months ago per the new family living in the house. Sorry guys.

No worries. People move and life takes its toll.

We will parse this out, it may take a few tries but we'll get there. With it digital you can take the file to a printer and make one as needed.

With a PDF one can print out individual pages and paste them together or get a single large print done on a plotter/large format printer.

As a DXF file you could take it to a shop and have an insulation mat or aluminum part waterjet cut to get a complete part done in one go.

Great Files Karl

The jpg worked out great. I converted the file to a pdf and plotted it at work on 36" paper. The dimensions were on the money. This information definitely needs to be put in an archive for future reference. Let us know if you find any changes that need to be made.
Thanks again,
Randy

Back