First So Cal FLU event, March 20th

OH BOB!!! Yur kidding!!!

Al Gore, my brother and I, STARTED Cruise Nites back in '63 or so...

The former Bob's Big Boy, just south of Burbank, was where we enlisted the Van Nuys Division of the LAPD to conduct FREE Vehicle Inspections... and issue us Equipment Violations for those of us that did not conform to local laws and ordinances!

They also helped us to maintain speed limits and I believe, although something I cannot prove... it was US that helped to append the laws with "EXHIBITION OF SPEED" sub articles...

HAHAHAH...

I had heard something about this... but no, haven't given it a thought. Back in about '68 or so they installed TRIPLE overhead street lights that lit up VNB like a used car lot. It was so bright that most folks FORGOT to turn on their headlights! Didn't last long... and they extinguished 2 of the 3... I haven't looked up, much less even driven on VNB in about 100 years...

We oughtta get together and check it out.. Wednesdays, huh? I've got a local meeting NEXT Wednesday the 17th... but the following might be open... YOU?

Noooo...

My brother and I built a '46 Chevy P/U with a split manifold and tri-power on a 230 CI six banger... Metallic Bronze... and then built a BIG WINDOW '55 Chevy with a 283 and 4 speed... again, Metallic Bronze.

We did most of our Cruisin' on VNB and raced a bit along Forest Lawn Drive (known locally as River Road Raceway...)

This would been around 65 - 67... had lots of RICH friends with now GOATS and Chevelles and Buicks... MY brother even went over to the dark side and bought a NEW '67 SS396 for about $3200... I later bought a Duster 340 in 1970 for about $2600 cash... but this became our family car... HA!

Talk about WANTING to have those cars again... Didn't really appreciate them as much I would NOW! HA!

Here's an unfinshed foto of the '55.. I don't believe we ever had a shot in its paint with Chrome reversed wheels and Cheater Slicks...

55Pickup.jpg

The backdrop... Hollywood Freeway 170, Southbound Victory Blvd offramp... before it was completed!

Tony are U sure ok..?

just noticed the time of your post and I am concerned that you may be turning into a vampire...

Hell no, I'm NOT OK...

... and I have a host of PROFESSIONALS that will testify to that...

Posting at all hours of the night is just ONE symptom... When ya have a few hours some day, I'll be happy to explain all the CAUSES...

Maybe....

It's between this event and a friend's little girl's birthday party--with one of those huge jumpy things! I don't know, it's a tough call.

I think I'll be bringing my dad, the day out could do him well.

Started the day out in the Scorpion, but sadly it blew a radiator hose.

I left the Scorpion in a parking lot and continued on in a LE Spider. While driving on the 101 I caught up to a yellow 72.

I followed him to where his GPS had prompted him to go with the address provided. When we got there, we met with two other X1/9s, but my GPS said that we were still a block away.

After following my GPS, we met up with the rest of the group. I guess it was a good thing that I was late, otherwise, those three would have been left behind, as the group was waiting on me.

Someone hand Denise a California Driver's handbook.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bocci Ball Anyone?

These are from the drive back on Malibu Canyon.

There were a FEW cops around
icon_eek.gif

Back on the Freeway on the way home.

Then we sat in traffic for a while.

Got home after 9:00pm after going to rescue the Scorpion. I would have taken a lot more pictures, but my camera was off the whole time we were on Mulholand, I didn't realize it was off until we got to PCH. I did take Video with my other camera, but haven't got around to looking at it yet.

Wow. Sounds like you guys had a blast... I have a lot of work to do to make my cars run again... Soooooooooooonnnnnn

Nice drive

It was nice seeing you guys it was a great drive and Tony thank you for waiting for me, I really enjoyed watching your X going through the twisties..!

I am also glad that I meet Denise she is a great lady, hopefully her husband will finish her race 'X on time for me to drive it at VIR as I had always wanted to drive that track :)

What a great weekend!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their hospitality. My sister and I had a great time checking out the tourist attractions, the beautiful scenery and meeting you all. I especially want to thank Alvon and Maureen for putting up with us for an entire weekend and keeping us busy and Gary Poage for trusting us with his beautiful 69 Spider. That was a treat in itself!

Our trip started off with Alvon picking us up from the LAX airport. We then drove to Gary's house to pick up the 69 Spider he so graciously offered us. Driving in LA is a bit different from what we're used to. People seem in a bit of a hurry, but there were several of them saying hello by tooting their horns. Here I am following Alvon in his Honda.
Amber_s+project+066.jpg

And Kimberly enjoying a little leisure time in the Spider:
Amber_s+project+065.jpg

Our next stop was to pick up Alvon's daughter, Ashley for a bit of sightseeing. We went to the famous sites, such as the sidewalk where all the famous people wrote in the cement. It was fun to see who all had been there. I especially like Johnny Depp:
Amber_s+project+073.jpg

We also were able to dance with the Stars themselves:
Amber_s+project+079.jpg

The next day was the most anticipated. I was excited to meet many people I only get to communicate with via this and other forums. Here, we meet up with the group and have a few moments to check out all the cool rides:
Amber_s+project+006.jpg

The scenery was absolutely beautiful. Although the mountains in SoCal have no trees, they were magnificient! The roads were fun and twisty, not unlike the mountains of NC, and we had a great time. I do think my sister would have liked to see guardrails a bit taller than the one in this picture, especially with Alvon driving, but all in all, the slap she gave me for sticking her in the car with him didn't hurt that bad.
Amber_s+project+010.jpg

Amber_s+project+119.jpg

We ended our drive at a beautiful park where we were able to play a few games:
Amber_s+project+012.jpg

The food was great and I want to thank Ron for bringing his World famous potato salad to the picnic. I believe there will be a potato salad cook off at the Freakout this year, so you won't want to miss that, Ron!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Sunday, we went sightseeing again. Alvon and Maureen took us to the beach for a little sunbathing:
Amber_s+project+018.jpg

And we went tree climbing:
Amber_s+project+021.jpg

Then, we went hiking through a wilderness in Ojai. The path went through several creeks. Here's one I believe was called Sh*t creek, cuz I went up it without a paddle:
Amber_s+project+055.jpg

Here, I was second guessing our plan to go hiking:
Amber_s+project+025.jpg

We then took a drive to the Ventura Harbour to see the sailboats and do a little window shopping. I didn't buy any windows, but we enjoyed walking around:
Amber_s+project+064.jpg

We swam with the dolphins:
Amber_s+project+033.jpg

Alvon proved he could be a real animal. Here he is as an octopus:
Amber_s+project+035.jpg

Kim and I tried our hand at being Pirate rappers:
Amber_s+project+036.jpg

And here, Alvon shows off his curves as I show off my muscle:
Amber_s+project+037.jpg

As you can see, we had an eventful weeekend!

Last edited:
It was a great time...

My thanks also go out to the Elrods and Ron and Mark and all those who hosted this event.

And thanks to you two ladies as the probable catalyst for this event.

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon...

Back