fitment of early engine cover to FI X

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

I want to fit my early engine cover (75-78 model type) to my 86. The cover itself looks to be a simple fit. However the side moldings that run parallel; what modifications do you need to be able to attach these? I understand from another thread a while back you need to replace/mod the fuel cap to tank neck so it fits and allows the left cover to allign but that is all I recall. My 75 is about 100 miles away right now at my brother shop so can't compare.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Tim

I haven't done this Tim...

... and frankly, I prefer the late model cover for its simplicity...

But over the years there have been a lot of Xheads that think just like you and have done the mod. I don't recally any of them saying they needed to relocate the gas filler, but they did need to fab, or modify some brackets to mount the side panels.

Hopefully some will chime in with FOTOS!

Forgot to add the prop spring attachment -

I used one of those plates that come with light fixtures for securing fixture into outlet ran a m6 bolt from the back, and just used a nut to secure the plastic slide. You have to pull the spring loop over to the left somewhat to get it on the pin - the rail is not centered in the lid as with the later style.

Velcro along the bottom edge - the spring will rub against the lower cover

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7770a.jpg

I haven't gotten around to the prop spring but I did get the engine cover and side panels installed. Sorry about the bad quality phone pics; my wife is out of town and took the camera.

Image014.jpg

Image015.jpg

I sold my only decent rear cover shield (the long thingy that runs across the back of the engine cover). So I Came up with an alternative; this is a semi-stiff material made for garage doors.
Image016.jpg

I also did something different for my engine cover-screen mod. I attached a strip for each slot and formed it with a slight ovally tube shape. Not sure if it turned out all that well but here is some more detail.

Image017.jpg

Looks good! Are you going to paint the side panels body color or leave as is?

Still haven't put any screen in mine yet, probably do the single sheet, it's just easier to accomplish.

Did I buy your one good shield? - I don't recall :rolleyes:

Looks good! Are you going to paint the side panels body color or leave as is?

Still haven't put any screen in mine yet, probably do the single sheet, it's just easier to accomplish.

Did I buy your one good shield? - I don't recall :rolleyes:

Not sure about painting the side panels - Did you paint yours? If so I need to see em' :)

...and YES - you got my only decent shield :(

Back