Fixing up a 1971 Fiat 850 Spyder

Pat

True Classic
I purchased a 1971 Fiat 850 Sport on Craig's list and safely towed it home from Salem to Vancouver using a U-Haul Tow Dolly. The 850 is wide enough to barely fit, but it is so small and low you may have to slightly lift up on the body when you pull out the ramps. Only had to do this on one side. I'm in the process now of getting back on the road, but now I need some help, especially in missing parts. The story is that the owner was restoring the car, but didn't finish it where it passed on to a young man who got it for doing work, and then decided to sell it. Somehow during the moves, some of parts went missing. The car was painted, seats recovered, head rebuilt and then was partially re-assembled and that is where I come in.

I would like to know where to get the following parts that I need. I'll start out with a list and hopefully someone can help out.

1. Piece that goes from the throttle linkage plate to a ball joint on the carb
2. Air cleaner top
3. All the hardware to attach the folding top to the body
4. Both outside door chrome pieces along the windows - Someone called these window scrapers
5. Drivers side inside door window chrome piece - Another window scraper
6. Locking door knobs - Pull these up or down to lock or unlock the door from the inside
7. Plastic clam shell that goes around the steering wheel to cover the turn signal and other thing
8. Interior light that goes behind and between the two seats - I assume it is a light
9. Battery cover
10. Left front side marker light with gasket
11. Door key - is the glove box the same pattern? - I have that taken out

Thanks,
Pat

You can look at our usual vendor's websites. Midwest-Bayless, C. Obert and Vicks. You will find a lot of your needed items at those sites. I am sure anyone with spares to offer will be along shortly.

I would like to know where to get the following parts that I need. I'll start out with a list and hopefully someone can help out.

1. Piece that goes from the throttle linkage plate to a ball joint on the carb
2. Air cleaner top
3. All the hardware to attach the folding top to the body
4. Both outside door chrome pieces along the windows - Someone called these window scrapers
5. Drivers side inside door window chrome piece - Another window scraper
6. Locking door knobs - Pull these up or down to lock or unlock the door from the inside
7. Plastic clam shell that goes around the steering wheel to cover the turn signal and other thing
8. Interior light that goes behind and between the two seats - I assume it is a light
9. Battery cover
10. Left front side marker light with gasket
11. Door key - is the glove box the same pattern? - I have that taken out

I can probably help you out with items #1-#7, #9 & maybe #10.

#3: I'm pretty sure I have the 4 bolts (2 types), might also have at least some (if not all) of the special washers (3 types), might also have the 2 oval-shaped steel plates for the bolt/frame-pivot mounting area (1 plate per side).

#8: There is no light behind/between the seats.

#10: I'll have to check with which corner/side I may have.

#11: Originally the door locks & glovebox may have been keyed together, but they're often not found that way on a 45+ year old car (1 or more of the locks may have been replaced at some point in the cars history). A competent locksmith can easily cut a key for you if you provide them with the lock & a replacement key blank (available through or vendors or eBay, or the locksmith might have one).

I can check my parts storage for what you need while I'm there tomorrow (Sunday). ;)

I can probably help you out with items #1-#7, #9 & maybe #10.

UPDATE:

I have the following items available:

1. Throttle linkage connector rod with plastic ball-socket end. Metal linkage rod-to-valve cover pivot retainer clip included. I've also included a metal ball-socket end with its slip-on type retainer clip, which can be used to replace the plastic socket, if desired. (The plastic ones can become brittle with age & crack or fall apart - the metal type is an "upgrade").

3. Convertible top frame pivot bolts/washers; 2 long bolts with 2 thin washers & 2 serrated washers (missing the 2 thick intermediary washers), 2 short bolts with 2 thick washers.

3.1 Convertible top frame pivot oval-shaped metal scuff plates (pair). (You had asked about these earlier?).

4/5. Door top stainless-steel trim pieces (window scrapers). 3 total: 1 left/1 right outer trim + 1 left inner trim, all mounting clips included. You will need to replace the window-scraper "fuzzy strips".

6. Locking door knobs (black plastic), 1 pair.

9. Battery tray cover/lid. Needs media-blasting & repaint (surface -rusty), perimeter rubber seal & battery Ground post rubber pad included (seal will need to be re-glued onto underside of cover).

The extra air cleaner top I thought I had has gone AWOL, sorry. The 2-piece steering column cover I have is for the wrong year (1973 which is different), & the top half of it must've eloped with the air cleaner top? Front left sidemarker light assembly - still checking on it (not sure if the ones I have are for 850, 124 or 128).

I'll have to pack these items up in order to get an accurate shipping cost & total amount due for parts + shipping. Give me a day or two... ;)

Jeff,
Thanks, let me know the cost for all above except for 4/5 as Mike had those available.
Thanks,
Pat
PS Do you have the Oval inspection plate for the trunk area? Mine for the left side is missing. This one covers the hole used to get behind the headlight bucket.

Sorry, got busy moving a few cars from Point A to Point B, & then vice-versa. ;)

I don't have the oval plate for the front trunk wall, but if you find any they're the same left vs. right (the left rear one has hooks on it for the windshield washer fluid bag, otherwise it fits the front).

I boxed up the rest of the parts earlier today, & am heading over to the Post Office right now, so I'll get the shipping cost figured out (postal code V5K?) & PM you that info when I get home later this evening.

Jeff,
My zip code is 98661 for Vancouver WA.
Do you know where to get the clips for the chrome strips? Mike sent me some pieces, but most of the clips are missing. I can't really use them with out those.

Pat

My zip code is 98661 for Vancouver WA.

Ah, good! Shipping should be much cheaper to 98661, for some reason I was thinking "Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)".

Do you know where to get the clips for the chrome strips? Mike sent me some pieces, but most of the clips are missing. I can't really use them with out those.

Mine have all of the clips. :)

How many do you need?

Ah, good! Shipping should be much cheaper to 98661, for some reason I was thinking "Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)".

Mine have all of the clips. :)

How many do you need?
Jeff,
I need a total of eight clips. Would it be cheaper to purchase the chrome strip and clips from you rather than just the clips?
Pat

Looks like I have a corner marker for you. It's faded pretty badly and the chrome on the bezel is flaking off. It's probably only just better than nothing, and nothing is exactly what it's worth to me (or as a sign of good faith, beer is always welcome ;) ). Luckily I'm also in 98661, so it should cost nothing to get it to you.

Shoot me a PM if you want it and we can set up a time to meet.

Attachments

• 20170822_194937.jpg
    20170822_194937.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 8
Looks like I have a corner marker for you. It's faded pretty badly and the chrome on the bezel is flaking off. It's probably only just better than nothing...

I might have a less-faded orange reflector part from a 124 Spider, I'll check tomorrow.

Jeff,
I need a total of eight clips. Would it be cheaper to purchase the chrome strip and clips from you rather than just the clips?
Pat
No, because then I'd have to go find a larger/longer box & repack everything! :(

I'll stop by my shop in the morning, grab some of the clips off of the extra chrome strips I have & toss the clips into the box with the other parts.

I might have a less-faded orange reflector part from a 124 Spider, I'll check tomorrow.

Found it! I'll throw it in the box. If it works on the 850, great. If not...it was a freebie anyway. :)

Check your PM for details on the parts & payment info.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have the following items available:

3. Convertible top frame pivot bolts/washers; 2 long bolts with 2 thin washers & 2 serrated washers (missing the 2 thick intermediary washers), 2 short bolts with 2 thick washers.

Just an info-update concerning the 2 thick washers that were missing (because I didn't have any extras); you might be able to find some of these washers at a hardware store (or fabricate something to use). The dimensions of the washer are:

26.1mm outer diameter
14.05mm center (hole) diameter
2.9mm thick

The proper fitment of washers on the long (thick shaft) pivot bolt is in this order:

Long bolt - thin/semi-wavy washer - large thick washer - serrated washer.

850convtoppivotbolt1.jpg
850convtoppivotbolt2.jpg

The short pivot bolt has a thick washer with a smaller center hole (this washer is comparable in size to the serrated washer shown above). I'm pretty sure I included 2 of these smaller thick washers, but may have put them on the longer bolts before I tossed them all into the ziploc bag I sent to you...

Last edited:
Jeff,
I got the package a few days ago and still have not open it yet. Too many things going on. I will have free time tomorrow I hope, and will let you know.

Pat

Looks like I have a corner marker for you. It's faded pretty badly and the chrome on the bezel is flaking off. It's probably only just better than nothing, and nothing is exactly what it's worth to me (or as a sign of good faith, beer is always welcome ;) ). Luckily I'm also in 98661, so it should cost nothing to get it to you.

Shoot me a PM if you want it and we can set up a time to meet.
Part is on and it fits perfectly.
Many thanks and good luck with your coupe, unless you want to sell it to me. That would make me very happy and very broke.
Pat

Back