For those who wish to aspire to a Scorpion...

If you read through the narrative by the seller, she (I think) says "The interior was completely redone, new old stock aviation upholstery in the same color and pattern was sourced". I read that as this was the same as the original fabric from the factory. I know that some of the later Bertones had some pretty wild upholstery colors, but I am not really familiar with what the Scorpions came with.

From the second paragraph:
The interior was also modified by covering the seats in checkered cloth from the aviation industry.
Fourth paragraph:
The interior was completely redone, new old stock aviation upholstery in the same color and pattern was sourced, new carpets fitted, the floors were sanded and treated with POR 15.

I took that to mean Mr. Keppleman had the interior done with aviation upholstery and the interior was redone in the aviation covering as originally done by Mr. Keppleman.

I saw this car at the LA Auto Show probably 15 years ago.

I don't know if you noticed, but the driver actually sits in the MIDDLE of the car... surrounded by speakers, gauges and mirrors and the like.

Its all about ME, ME, ME!

I believe my jaw fell to the floor and I stared at this car for what seemed like an eternity. Definitely was, and is a SHOWPIECE, and an extremely well done piece of art.

index.php

From the second paragraph:
The interior was also modified by covering the seats in checkered cloth from the aviation industry.
Fourth paragraph:
The interior was completely redone, new old stock aviation upholstery in the same color and pattern was sourced, new carpets fitted, the floors were sanded and treated with POR 15.

I took that to mean Mr. Keppleman had the interior done with aviation upholstery and the interior was redone in the aviation covering as originally done by Mr. Keppleman.
Ahh, I missed that first part about the aviation fabric. Definitely a unique look.

I saw this car at the LA Auto Show probably 15 years ago.
It's been at SEMA and many other shows as well. It was done by a sound/entertainment company (ie. stereo, video, electronics...what has been referred to as "ICE") purely as a show piece. There have been several others created
that are very similar to this for the same purpose. Definitely a LOT of custom work. And you have to admire the craftsmanship skills, even if the result isn't to your liking.

Greg, the fact some cars of the past came with ugly upholstery does not make it right, nor desirable to have now. :D

Actually there were a lot of wild interiors in that era. Remember some of the Porsches?
DSC00699.JPG

Ford Pinto:
309591-582-0.jpg

VW Rabbit:
scirocco-interior.jpg

Cadillac:
The-Hog-Ring-Auto-Upholstery-News-1969-Cadillac-Sedan-DeVille-Interior-2.jpg

Buick:
02272b42be36f3a8200fdae22437ab2d.jpg

And so many more. It would be fun to start a thread on odd interiors.

Before I looked over all the pics I was reading the ad copy. This Scorpion was sounding better and better...until I got to the part about the seats being "recovered in checkered cloth from the aviation industry". I immediately thought, "uh-oh." But it's still a fine car with many tasteful upgrades that I'd be proud to own. Stock Scorpions don't do much for me but when I see one like this with all the well-done performance mods I take notice.

Some Montecarlo headlights would really finish it off, but I know they're hard to find and installing them might require some bodywork. The Cromodoras look good but I think there are some better wheel choices. And then there's the interior which would have to be redone...

At a $30K purchase price plus the cost of these changes this would really be a purchase of pure passion. But nobody buys these cars as investments anyway.

Back