Fuel injected Lancia Scorpion at no reserve auction (not mine)

Oh My God. The dash is truly an eyesore! Is this for real, or someones abortion? The ad for this one didn't say custom dash....

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.02.49 PM.png

Looks like the same floor pan - & suspension - but the car is larger, no?

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.06.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 8.08.50 PM.png

Like the X1/9 is the mid-engined 128 derivative, the Scorpion could be considered the mid-engined 124, a successor to the 124 sport coupe line.

It was considered to replace the 124 Spider. More like the Lancia Beta Coupe derivative.

Like the X1/9 is the mid-engined 128 derivative, the Scorpion could be considered the mid-engined 124, a successor to the 124 sport coupe line.

For such a little car the interior seems quite "roomy" and you could fit two loaves of bread in that glovebox, it's huge.

Different floor pan; 6” wider. Essentially the same front and rear suspension pieces. First production car Pininfarina designed and built from the ground up.

Is the red leather one yours? Looks so much better with this dash trim

index.php

Very similar and at the same time very different.

Some added weight, much wider, the view forward is along the plane of the hood versus the X where you look out and look down the hood.

The 124 engine has a different but very Fiat character relative the X SOHC, it is a nice engine and can be breathed on to make good power, just not K power. My Sport Coupe has a 1438 version of it which is a very sweet engine just not particularly torquey.

My hankering was to acquire a Mazda KL series V6 (2l from the Lantos with the 6 speed), dump the OE intake and go with ITB’s. They make very nice sounds and can rev to 7K plus so they would be in character with the engine originally intended without raising the weight much if any over the Lampredi twin cam.

I have posted this before but could easily enjoy this sound right behind me:

I know sacrilege...

That sounds pretty nice, usually V6s don't have a great exhaust note.
The ultimate, of course, is a V8 powered Miata.

Am I missing something? What is making this non-running Scorpion so desirable? Even if the pictures were current, the car still looks like it would needs a lot of work.

I guess I'm glad I bought mine when I did. The first picture was when I arrived at a storage locker in Ohio to look at the car. The second picture is the car today. Basically the only thing the car needed was a brake overall since all 4 wheels were locked up from sitting.

IMG00032.jpg DSCN0262.JPG

Basically the only thing the car needed was a brake overall since all 4 wheels were locked up from sitting.
Well Bob, I am thinking you might have had to wash it too. Just comparing the photos. :D:p:cool:

I did ask the seller if the images were recent and he stated they were taken two weeks ago.

Sure.

Am I missing something? What is making this non-running Scorpion so desirable? Even if the pictures were current, the car still looks like it would needs a lot of work.

I guess I'm glad I bought mine when I did. The first picture was when I arrived at a storage locker in Ohio to look at the car. The second picture is the car today. Basically the only thing the car needed was a brake overall since all 4 wheels were locked up from sitting.

View attachment 31291 View attachment 31292

Envious

When I had my Scorpion my dream was to use a Volkswagen VR6....after all it was Lancia who pioneered the narrow angle vee topped with a single cylinder head anyway. Plus a 12v VR6 with a proper exhaust on it sounds wonderful.

Mine too..I still think about it.. heavy motor though.

When I had my Scorpion my dream was to use a Volkswagen VR6....after all it was Lancia who pioneered the narrow angle vee topped with a single cylinder head anyway. Plus a 12v VR6 with a proper exhaust on it sounds wonderful.

These cars were originally designed with the intent to use the V6 out of the Fiat 130. Fuel crisis put paid to that one and they went with the Lampredi twin cam four. But a huge engine bay means many things are possible.

Argh, I forgot about the Busso, which is odd since I had a Milano for awhile. The three cylinder motor on my Yamaha 750 with Kirker would make the hair stand up on the back of my neck on heavy throttle.

Back