Green fiat 128 1100 1976

T.G

Daily Driver
Hi i made this thread for when i have some questions that dont fit on my other threads

Does anyone know how these vents are called ? Or where i can findt them because this is the only one that is broken so it would be nice to replace it
Also yes it is back on the original suspension for now (its just for examination to get it on the road again) after that it will get slammed again with the front end on the modifyd golf/rabbit mk1 adjustable coilovers

Attachments

• 20230219_180656.jpg
    20230219_180656.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20230221_104746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230221_104746_Gallery.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 105
These are called "cowl vents" as the bodywork below the windscreen is known as the cowl... odd name but that's what it is.

and the clips to hold them in place

SteveC

Hmmm... Mine don't use those clips... There's tabs on the back/windscreen side, and a small screw in each front corner...

AFAIK all 128's have a squared hole at both front corners of the vent opening in the bodywork, there are two squared off openings in the cowl vent, and all 128's use the same clip as shown to hold the vent in place.

SteveC

Hi everyone just a update on the 128
I had it ready for the state to check it (i dont know how you call that in englisch) but last sunday the lovely sound of rodnocking started (really bad🥲)
I now have found a 1500cc race engine with lightend rods bigger pistons lightend flywheel etc and it made 100hp to the wheels back then when that racecar was driving (15 years ago) and also a 5 speed trans to put on the 1500 and im gonna do even bigger pistons and duel webers on it so i hope its gonna make around 120 hp because that would be pretty damn fast in this car i believe
I am probably gonna pick the engine out of the racecar this month and take it compleetly apart and put al new bearings etc in it and paint the engine bay etc so when you open up the hood you will think damn😍

Hi everyone back with an update on the 128
I have started taking the engine apart and its looking in really good condition (especially for a race engine that has been raced for 3 years)
I also have bought a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
I have a lot of other things going on right now so im doing my best to work on it when i can
Here are a some foto's of the engine and ill soon have a few questions about what carb i can use the best with the inlet manifold that i have
Questions or tips and tricks are always welcome!!

Attachments

• 20230525_215303.jpg
    20230525_215303.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230526_000607.jpg
    20230526_000607.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20230525_222113.jpg
    20230525_222113.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20230525_222059.jpg
    20230525_222059.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230525_215818.jpg
    20230525_215818.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230525_215253.jpg
    20230525_215253.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230525_212353.jpg
    20230525_212353.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230525_212403.jpg
    20230525_212403.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20230525_212409.jpg
    20230525_212409.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230525_212359.jpg
    20230525_212359.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20230430_154635.jpg
    20230430_154635.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 118
the head definitely looks like it has larger valves, that's a good thing.

It also looks like it's had the combustion chambers re-shaped, also a good thing.

but from the picture I can see that too much material has been removed from around the spark plug area, and this has left some spark plug threads exposed, definitely on cylinders 2/3/4 ... this is not a good thing
20230525_222059.jpg

the five speed transmission is a bonus, but you'll need the matching sway bar to make it fit (from a yugo / zastava)

the gas ports around the periphery of the piston are interesting, which means the pistons are probably forged items.

SteveC

the head definitely looks like it has larger valves, that's a good thing.

It also looks like it's had the combustion chambers re-shaped, also a good thing.

but from the picture I can see that too much material has been removed from around the spark plug area, and this has left some spark plug threads exposed, definitely on cylinders 2/3/4 ... this is not a good thing
View attachment 73845

the five speed transmission is a bonus, but you'll need the matching sway bar to make it fit (from a yugo / zastava)

the gas ports around the periphery of the piston are interesting, which means the pistons are probably forged items.

SteveC
The spark plug area is indeed a good spot i did not see that my self yet thanks for that!
Its going to the machine shop for even bigger pistons so i was planning on decking the head if necessary as you suggested
As for the five speed the race car this combo came out of was also a 128 1976 1100 just like mine is so i have al those modifyd parts to drop it right in and also have upgraded driveshafts with bigger connection joints (i dont know how you call those in english)

Rectifying the issue of exposed plug threads is a simple fix, you can buy spark plug washers that will keep the exposed threads out of the combustion chamber, the exposed threads are bad because they can very easily become a hot spot / incandesce and promote detonation. the exposed threads also get full of combustion carbon, and can make a mess of the threads in the alloy as you wind the plug out too

I'd hold off on the idea of "bigger pistons" until you determine the finish on the bores. Because the pistons have that little ring of holes around the periphery (gas ports) probably means they are quite high quality forged pistons, which will be light... replacing them with another piston of similar quality will probably be quite expensive. Gaining additional static compression by overboring or thinking you're going to gain any meaningful capacity by overboring isn't a good way to approach this.

The head may need a light skim to ensure it's all good, that head gasket has definitely let go and it looks like it's been pumping compression into the cooling system, it may have been from not being properly retorqued too, an engineer's straight edge and feeler gauges will confirm if it does

If you have all the bits to go with the five speed then the transmission alone is probably worth the price of admission (what you paid for the whole lot) if you didn't grab the shifter from inside the car then go back and get that too, as the four and five speed shifters are a little different.

If it's been converted to the later front uprights and later (larger) wheel bearings / larger flanges / larger CV joints etc etc, even better still as to find that "kit of parts" these days isn't easy as late 128's / early Ritmo's are fewer and further between.

SteveC

Looks like good parts overall 😁, but why does it look like it's been sitting at the bottom of a lake? Has it been sitting outside all this time? It's cleaner inside than outside, that's unusual...

Rectifying the issue of exposed plug threads is a simple fix, you can buy spark plug washers that will keep the exposed threads out of the combustion chamber, the exposed threads are bad because they can very easily become a hot spot / incandesce and promote detonation. the exposed threads also get full of combustion carbon, and can make a mess of the threads in the alloy as you wind the plug out too

I'd hold off on the idea of "bigger pistons" until you determine the finish on the bores. Because the pistons have that little ring of holes around the periphery (gas ports) probably means they are quite high quality forged pistons, which will be light... replacing them with another piston of similar quality will probably be quite expensive. Gaining additional static compression by overboring or thinking you're going to gain any meaningful capacity by overboring isn't a good way to approach this.

The head may need a light skim to ensure it's all good, that head gasket has definitely let go and it looks like it's been pumping compression into the cooling system, it may have been from not being properly retorqued too, an engineer's straight edge and feeler gauges will confirm if it does

If you have all the bits to go with the five speed then the transmission alone is probably worth the price of admission (what you paid for the whole lot) if you didn't grab the shifter from inside the car then go back and get that too, as the four and five speed shifters are a little different.

If it's been converted to the later front uprights and later (larger) wheel bearings / larger flanges / larger CV joints etc etc, even better still as to find that "kit of parts" these days isn't easy as late 128's / early Ritmo's are fewer and further
I already have the bigger pistons and as you said wheel bearings etc are bigger (i have those laying around now) so i think i am gonna do the bigger pistons as those are also forged and then the Block is nice and fresh from inside
Also fun fact maybe i paid €1000 euros for the 5 speed transmission and the engine and a intake manifold for a dual barrel carb and those upgraded driveshafts and shifter etc so i think i have a really good deal

Looks like good parts overall 😁, but why does it look like it's been sitting at the bottom of a lake? Has it been sitting outside all this time? It's cleaner inside than outside, that's unusual...
It has been sitting in that red 128 for 15 years while standing outside so thats why it looks like that it was plugged up so everything is still nice on the inside but im gonna make it look very nice again

Does anyone know which carb fits on this?

Attachments

• 20230530_214258.jpg
    20230530_214258.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 89
any dual throat progressive carb from the DMTR/DATR/DAT/DATRA series of carburettors, either 32 , 32/34 or 34

Best of the bunch would probably be a 34DMTR/21, that's from an early 1800/2000 Lancia Beta and has the largest venturi sizes at 25/27, and is a manual choke

SteveC

I have seen those filters that get old and the foam dries up and blows away leaving just the screen.

Back