gumby's '79 X-1/9

gumby23

Daily Driver
I finally took delivery today. This car was listed in the Grassroots Motorsports Forum classifieds, and I traced the internet crumbs back to this board where the PO had it listed as well. A small, light, low powered car is quite a change of pace for me, but I was looking for something new to experience.

IMG_1040.JPG

Got the car unloaded and moved into my shop

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

These cars are all new to me and I only had a few minutes to poke around today. I had never owned, or even sat in, a Fiat before this afternoon! The body and chassis appear to be very solid; no major rust that I have seen thus far. The wiring does not seem to be as finished as advertised(one headlight dim vs. other, one turn signal inop, only one brake light on one side, etc.), but I will chase out these little gremlins as I go along. We had a bit of a rough introduction that involved me almost breaking the only key in the sticky ignition lock cylinder, and a broken frunk release cable. We are learning each other.

There is a list of goodies on the 1500 in the engine bay. Unfortunately the engine is currently locked up. The purchased package includes many spares and I hope to put the car back on the road without too much cash outlay, but I need to determine the failure first. No.1 spark plug is smashed and I cannot leak the cylinders down since the engine is locked, so I guess I will just pull the head. Is this easier in the car or with the drivetrain removed?

Now the key situation. I only received one, and it does not fit the doors. Were these cars all on one key, or should there be a different door key vs. ignition key? Seems to me that I may be in the market for a set of keys and locks...

Last edited:
The ignition and door lock use different keys.

The smashed plug is alarming. The head can be removed with the engine in the car, but there is a very good chance you will need to remove the entire engine anyway.

Brian

Congrats on the purchase. X1/9s used 2 different keys for ignition & doors. I'm not sure why the engine would be locked. Maybe a bad head gasket, lead to coolant into the cylinders, causing the pistons to rust-weld to the cylinder walls?? Is the sparkplugs ceramic broken or is the threaded portion broken into the combustion chamber?

BTW that used to be Mike Gold's car, and The exhaust used to be mine ;)
If you plan to sell the exhaust, I want first dibs.

Congratulations & good luck with it. Several of us slightly east in Knoxville had seen that one listed for sale locally and it sounded like it had a number of things that would be promising. On the keys, I believe all Fiats of this general era (late 60s-late 80s) had a separate ignition & door keys, different key blanks. This would also have a matched lock for the rear trunk & engine cover releases, I think. It is usually pretty simple to change the lock cylinders on these door handles, and it's possible (someone correct me please) the lock cylinders from other models will also work.

Separate keys for ign and doors, got it, but I didn't...that will be pretty high on the priority list since my 11yo son has decided this is the mode of transport we will be using on HRPT in June!
I should have snagged a pic of the broken spark plug. It looks like some chunk of something crashed into it inside the combustion chamber. 800miles on the rebuild and was idling in the driveway when it locked, as I am told. Agreed that I will likely be pulling the engine for a full inspection and repair or replace out of the spares pile. Maybe I can get my buddy's bore scope over here and have a look-see in the no.1 cylinder.

Wait just a dang minute. Is that your F500 in the background of the photo in the shop? I am 99% sure I know that car!
The Fmod belongs to a local autoX friend. I am reworking the rear frame section.
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

Last edited:
yeah, sorry for the double, triple reply there...looks like a whole bunch of us dove in at once to help! Locks will be easy. Good luck with all the rest and I hope you'll keep us posted on it's resurrection!

...The exhaust used to be mine ;)
If you plan to sell the exhaust, I want first dibs.

What's the skinny on this exhaust, Eastep?
I took a peak at it tonight and it appears very DIY. I am curious how it sounds. If it has significant history, that may sway my decisions down the road.

What's the skinny on this exhaust, Eastep?
I took a peak at it tonight and it appears very DIY. I am curious how it sounds. If it has significant history, that may sway my decisions down the road.
It was pretty loud and raspy IIRCC. I had it on a hot 1300, so I'm not sure how it would sound on a 1500. It's nothing really special; just special to me.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the locks and keys, take a look at this discussion...it should help, especially page 2: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/keys.32812/

Sounds like you are getting a quick introduction to the "interesting" relationship owners of Italian vehicles have with their cars. :)

I am curious about the taillights on your new X1/9. Do you (or anyone here) know what lights those are? Perhaps when you have an opportunity you can post a close-up picture of them? Thanks.

Let us know if we can be of assistance. There are lots of very experienced X1/9 owners here that have provided me with tons of info that could never be found in a manual.

Enjoy.

I have gotten back into the x1/9 after find thing this support forum!! This is a GREAT bunch of people that have (and freely) share their information!

I am curious about the taillights on your new X1/9. Do you (or anyone here) know what lights those are? Perhaps when you have an opportunity you can post a close-up picture of them? Thanks.
They appear to be standard truck stop LEDs from my quick inspection. When I get into sorting them out I will let ya know if I find otherwise.

Separate keys for ign and doors, got it, but I didn't...that will be pretty high on the priority list since my 11yo son has decided this is the mode of transport we will be using on HRPT in June!
I should have snagged a pic of the broken spark plug. It looks like some chunk of something crashed into it inside the combustion chamber. 800miles on the rebuild and was idling in the driveway when it locked, as I am told. Agreed that I will likely be pulling the engine for a full inspection and repair or replace out of the spares pile. Maybe I can get my buddy's bore scope over here and have a look-see in the no.1 cylinder.

The Fmod belongs to a local autoX friend. I am reworking the rear frame section.
View attachment 8797 View attachment 8798
View attachment 8799

OK. Not your F Mod. And yes, I do know that car.

Welcome to the forum. What are your plans for the X?

OK. Not your F Mod. And yes, I do know that car.

Welcome to the forum. What are your plans for the X?
I wish my Fmod was this nice! Mine is 10yrs older and currently not running. Do you know the car with the current owner or a previous owner?

My autoXer is an Emod
IMG_0654.JPG

As for the X, firstly I need to get it back on the road. The motivation for purchasing the car was to broaden my automotive horizons. I have never owned anything that fit the definition of a sports car, mostly mid-size cars and compact trucks. I wanted a change and to experience a different type of vehicle.
Once it is running again, the goal is HRPT in June. That should give me plenty of seat time with the car to solidify plans moving forward.

Unless the car has changed owners in the last year, know the current owner. I see him at National Tours.

That's certainly a different take on E Mod.

My current autocross car is a D Prepared MR2:

shoelscher-2.jpg

I also own this car. I ran it Nationally before it was retired and replaced by the MR2.

PeruTour3.jpg

Hope you enjoy the X1/9. They are great cars and great fun to drive.

Well, if there are a lot of goodies in the engine bay, there are chances the engine was modified and be no longer an interference free engine (the 1300 cc weren't but the stock 1500 cc are interference free). So valves may have collided for multiple reasons. Just a little slip on the timing belt could be the cause.

I would say, if you are hoping for a quick fix to drive the car asap, you may try to remove the head in the car ane you maybe lucky. But it is not much more trouble to completely remove the engine/transmission assembly and do a complete exam/rebuild. You may found the pistons could get some TLC, maybe even some new rings This will not cost you much more (dépends on what you found) but will involve some more time. It is also a great way to learn about the car.

It is looking like a nice early 1979 project car. Body seems straight. The front bumper was probably put back for the sale, but was out before, hence the front flasher lenses hidden by the bumpers. Racing seats. Custom muffler and tailight. You will discover these car handle like karts but in stock forms are really underpowered.

Have fun!

Gee! I just noticed I'm right behind MNCSx6 Steve Hoelscher! Not something I could expect on a racetrack!!! Nice to see you still got interest into the X even if you betrayed us with a Toyota! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee! I just noticed I'm right behind MNCSx6 Steve Hoelscher! Not something I could expect on a racetrack!!! Nice to see you still got interest into the X even if you betrayed us with a Toyota! :D

Hi Daniel, good to hear from you again! I never strayed far. Have kept at least one X in the stable. Glad to have my Championship car back again. I last competed Nationally with an X1/9 in 2003. It wasn't that I went to a Toyota racecar that has kept me away from the forums. Life and career took me in a new direction and there just wasn't time. I was able to run my own racecars only occasionally, sometimes only a half-dozen times per year. Last year I more than doubled that number of events. I am hoping that I will be able to do more this year. And it would be good to get back in the DSP car again this year. :)

Back