guy croft website

hi i have over the last few weeks tried to join the guy croft forum,i have done as he asked and given my address details etc,he emailed me back a couple of times but as soon as i had mentioned i am a regional officer for the x1/9 ownersclub in the uk he declined my membership which is a shame,i respect he is the master of italian engines especially supercharged ones and thats why i wanted to join his forum especially as i have a supercharged x1/9 and he rebuilds the volumex superchargers and one day i may have needed his expertise to rebuild mine,such a shame :(

Last edited:
Bad blood?

Is there any history between your club an Mr. Croft? Copyright issues? Odd that you would be rejected without good reason.

i really dont know but he is well respected by members of our club as he is all over the world as a master of italian engines

I'd ask...

Both Mr. Croft and others on your club forum, there may be some history there you're not aware of.

He's pretty much the expert on DOHC engines, but his work has been illegally copied and so forth so he's very careful anymore.

i understand that but its shame,i was hoping for advise about my supercharged x1/9,i have sent pottsy a message to see if he knows anything

Last edited:
It's not paranoia...

Mr. Croft's DOHC book has been scanned to websites and that sort of thing, it's very difficult in this digital age to protect one's work.

Yes, if memory serves me well, there is a very long and public history detailing his distaste for the UK site..:hmm:.. maybe it was Steve C's distste for Guy Croft:huh:. Regardless he is a very quirky guy. Very knowledgeable but kind of a dick. <I don't say this out of disrespect, just matter of fact. If you want to know anything about machine work or performance or just general knowledge on Fiat products, Guy is the guy.

BTW I think an international X1/9 build off should take place with all the best or the best's submitting a car. Entrants could be (forgive if I forget someone obvious) Guy Croft, Steve C, Chris O, Matt B, Bernice, Guy M and "Jimbro" (seems like I'm forgetting a couple:huh:) Anyway I think it'd be awesome to have all of these builders cars lined up for a "shoot-out" style test. Maybe have GRM cover it?? :nod: Would be the best article EVER !!:nod:

Last edited:
the word was used loosely hence the comma's,i have seen his books my friend owns everyone he has produced,awesome books

A good friend of mine corresponded in detail with Guy when building his DOHC supercharged 2000 Fiat engine. It went into a Abarth 131. I sent your link/pics to him (my friend) hope that was ok. He might have some feedback and some things to say. He also knows the X19 VERY well so his knowledge might be helpful.

As far as Guy goes; I never talked to him or really corresponded with him ever. If he is an eccentric and often times that larger than life atttitude can appear (real or not). That said, must be some history your not aware of between your club and him?

You never know...

well i sent him an email saying if its not to be its not meant to be and wished him luck,lifes to short to worry about it,this site is far better than anything i have been on so not too bothered,great friendly people with loads of advice all with one thing in common the love of x1/9s

try Turbo124

you could also try the Turbo124 forum, there are some guys on there who know a fair amount of stuff about fiat engines and boosting, also has a X1/9 section... but this forum is still the best!

you could also try the Turbo124 forum, there are some guys on there who know a fair amount of stuff about fiat engines and boosting, also has a X1/9 section... but this forum is still the best!

That's where I read something of an anti-Croft thread, so I think he's antagonised some other people, too. Or vice-versa. Hard to know from a distance.

I read the thread on GC's site about machining the 1500 SOHC head for better flow, and it might be something I end up doing on mine. So it'd be a pain if GC's dislike of the UK X1/9 club rules that out...

Id have to agree with Potsey. Eastep, you say you dont want to be disrespectful, yet you call him a dick. I would say that is disrespectful. it should be edited out. Ive dealt with him enough times, through personal emails and he has always been very helpful and respectful. As far as being kicked off his site, maybe you should reread his rules for joining it, they are more complex then most, but it is his site. And he has been screwed over before. He has done wonders for my car and I am very grateful.

i just received a reply from him,i failed because i didnt write my message to him completely in 'lower case'

Last edited:
i just received a reply from him,i failed because i didnt write my message to him completely in 'lower case' lol thats so funny and ridiculous

Well, you've definitely got the hang of lower case now. ;)

I'll prise off a [Shift] key from my old PC and send it over. :p

Guy is a stickler for proper grammer and punctuation and I can appreciate that. Some threads are nearly impossible to read when a paragraph is one sentence without caps or punctuation.

Back