guy croft website

Hi guys, I'm back

Guy is an engineer, through and through. I work with and know plenty of others just like him, also sticklers for proper grammar, punctuation and etiquette in general (not me, I'm the black sheep). They're all brilliant guys, highly focused with their work, with almost no room for any shenanigans of any kind. Swallow the pride and play by his rules. The knowledge base he can provide is just too good to let slip between your fingers.

Hey Cesare... welcome back to "our world"...

That was a rather long hiatus... I dunno if I could survive that long any more without internet access...

But hey... you do live out in the wilds of Simi far from civilization...

As for Guy and his ethics... I know not the man, nor this newbie that had a problem with him...

I do know that especially when I first "meet" someone, I generally give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope they will do the same for me.

Hopefully we all can be a bit more generous and forgiving until one proves themselves undeserving!

Again, welcome back... looking forward to seeing an hearing from you more!

Tony,

Not too far out, general suburbia. The renovations forced us to place many items in boxes. As you can see, the computer is now out and has power to it.

Cesare

Guy Croft

I have corresponded with Guy several times over the years. I always found him to be perfectly cordial.

He has expressed frustration over the violation of his intellectual property rights. I can't blame him for that. The internet has produced an entire generation that thinks nothing of it. Very sad.

I was astonished at the attack directed at Guy from one member of the community. Its one thing to disagree with someone, or doubt their claims but this was waaaay over the top. It happened a few years ago and is likely long forgotten by most. Sad, but its no surprise we don't see him here.

Guy's great!

It would be well worth your time and effort to suck it up and play by Guy's forum rules. I don't blame him for trying to keep his website free of opinions, bickering and general bad behavior. If you read his site, you know people reference their findings very well so you know you're not just reading conjecture. That should make his site and his advice all the more valuable. How many of us actually test our theories? He forces the best out of his members to benefit others.
As for Guy as a person, he is great. I have had many dealings with him and he has always been cordial and professional. He has taken the time to answer my questions, as stupid as they are, and I am forever grateful for his contributions to our Fiat community.

i agree he is the master of italian engines and to be honest he has answered my questions through emails so i will not join his forum as a most of it can viewed by non members i find this site more than sufficient for my needs i am no mechanic but i like to find the solutions to any problem i may have with my x1/9 and peoples views/opinions on mods done to my x1/9 i agree to call guy names is pointless not what i was encouraging ...pete

Guy..

He is serious about his work and does not tolerate BS. I have corresponded with Guy via email. always answers, always honest and no BS.

One of the problems with some car folks..is the amount of hype and BS that offers no burden of proof. Then there are antique car myth-lore that refuses to die or takes on a life of it's own... which serious, knowledgeable car folks will not tolerate much.

Here is the Lotus-Lada from Top Gear with a Guy (note the total no BS expression) in the last part of this video.

Bernice

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAusVsL7xUY"]YouTube - Top Gear - Lotus Lada (Legendado)[/ame]

Perhaps my comment was mildly curt, but as stated it was not my intention to be an outward personal insult against Guy, but I stand behind my words. Guy has my utmost respect and gratitude from past help given and for the wealth of engineering knowledge provided to the car hobby. However; the fact of the matter is that it is his website and ultimately he can do with it as he see's fit. I understand & agree with the bases of his choice and methods set forth. My only objection is that on the same token "hand picking" which Fiat enthusiast's to help based on the amount of proper punctuation and grammar present in an application email can be precised as being a dick by the masses.

You just dont get it. Lets move on.
Seen that vid before. What a car. How did they get the 180 horses out , what path did they take? Just curious...

My only objection is that on the same token "hand picking" which Fiat enthusiast's to help based on the amount of proper punctuation and grammar present in an application email can be precised as being a dick by the masses.

I run an educational performance space, a theater, and I have a set of rules which are posted. One rule I even have posted on a separate sign of it's own: no open toed shoes allowed on stage at any time.

Now, some little girls probably think I'm an ogre when I turn them away. Really, what's the big deal? The deal is when someone's kid cuts their foot open on my stage, I have a kid to give first aid to, parents to call, literally everything stops for me while i care for this injured kid, sometimes I've even had to go to the hospital and meet the parents there. Not to be unkind, but the shoe sign isn't about the safety of some stupid kid's feet, it's that I've learned the hard way how much of my time can be wasted, time taken away from other kids I'm actually working with, by someone else's inconsideration.

You don't know the crap someone has had to go through to invent a rule you might think is frivolous or capricious.

I'll also add that all of my dealings with Guy have been first rate.

Done with the soap box. Anyone else need it?

John O.

The issue is hardly over something as serious as bodily injury. I'm not trying to make you or anyone else here change their opinion of the man, nor am I seeking approval or agreement from anyone. I simply don't care if you agree or not. All I'm saying is there's a greater underlying issue to the matter. As Ive said already, I understand his implementation of what he considers to be to be important in running his site & more power to him. On the flip side the fact that he is willing to withhold knowledge and judge someone he's never met based solely on the ability to type in perfect punctuation is not "to better the community" but merely an exercise in a holy-er the thou ego type thinking and that is beyond my scope of reason. If you have the ability to help others through a gift (learned or not its still a gift) and you choose to turn those seeking that knowledge away simply because "you can"; then that person is messing with something on a much greater and deeper scale then you or I. That's all.

And what makes it funnier is the "not on my forum" attitude, and he does precisely the opposite on other forums...that's why he's been banned from Turbo124.

Maybe he has so much work on that he can turn away potential clients based on their grammatical prowess... if he thinks that's good business, good luck to him.

SteveC

I don't know Guy, but I know other 'cantankerous' experts/suppliers in other technical hobbies. Putting up with their foibles is the price of admission, and sometimes it's well worth paying.

On the whole, I think the world is a better place with such eccentrics.

The issue is hardly over something as serious as bodily injury.

Nope. You missed my point entirely. I make rules which are intended to be followed and you don't have to know why it's important. This is a trust issue; trust that it is important to the person making the rules rather than insisting it's silliness. In this case, what looks to you like a "bodily harm" thing is actually a "how my time is wasted" thing in the same way Guy's "grammar and spelling" thing is likely TO HIM a "how his time gets wasted" thing.

I promise, I've kicked plenty of people out of my theater who were arguing with me all the way to the door. Some came back the next day with proper footware, some have even learned to pack shoes in their book bags. (Honestly, I don't like to see people get hurt, but they can do it on their own time.)

John O.

sorry i dont see a health and safety issue and someones grammar having anything in common,my spelling is excellent i use full stops/question marks and comma's etc, where i need to, guy has made his rules and thats fair enough,end of story

Mac put this site together for his love of the car. He did not put this together so people could use it as a place to bash others publicly. He didnt set it up for religion or politics. Its supposed to be about the x. This site has gone so far off track that it is now just a so so site, used to be a great place. I feel MAC would be upset about the direction we are taking things. I truly feel he would have ended the thread a long time ago. So sad.

As I recall there was many a time on the old site where debates and such were the center of a topic. This site is still the best site on the web and is far more then "so-so" and is more of a family then anything else. If family members cant have differing views and the occasional disagreement and then move forward then its not a very healthy family at all. If anyone reading this thread is going to have any lasting hard feelings or stay butt hurt and offended then I suggest regroup and keep it in prospective. We are the best group of enthusiast's on the net and dare I say the best in the world. That's what Mac had envisioned and he was just as proud of us in our lows as he was in our highs. That's just how family works. Now lets drop this thread and grab some beers and fix our cars :thumbsup:

ok lets call it a day on this subject but just one more thing this site is easily the best i have been on and there is nothing wrong with giving your opinion and having a bit of banter but i agree no abuse to others or abusive language is needed or is acceptable thanks to all for input :)

Back