Has anyone used a 124 instrument cluster in an X ?

etownsley

Streel Legal GP Race Car
I ditched my dash a year ago to loose the weight. What I am wondering is how did you re-mount your instrument cluster? Pictures would be great.

I kept the plastic surround/shroud but would like to eliminate it because it weighs about 5 pounds. I would like to fabricate something from aluminum but would like to see your approaches to this modification first.

The thought also occured to me.....Could a 124 instrument cluster be used? For the most part the 124 instruments could be removed from their faux wood dash and rearranged to make a custom cluster. They might even plug right into the X-1/9 wiring? Maybe someone can verify this if you have both an X-1/9 cluster and a 124 cluster.

Last edited:
dash delete

I did this to my track day X. I just mounted the instrument cluster box to the crossmember with a simple aluminum L bracket. The bracket was attached to the back of the cluster using existing mounting holes in the cluster and then the horizontal leg was screwded to the horizontal portion of the body crossmember. Very easy to do. I then had the wires reflecting off the windshield so made a flat black piece of sheet metal to bridge from the windshield to the forward top edge of the instrument cluster.

Sorry, no pics but I think when you play with it you will see how it works.

carl

Like This?

This is a street car, so I wanted to keep things relatively stock. I absolutely hated the original gauges... I could never see the tach.
All the gauges are visible in "real life"
1GB240-1.jpg

I ditched my dash a year ago to loose the weight. What I am wondering is how did you re-mount your instrument cluster? Pictures would be great.

I kept the plastic surround/shroud but would like to eliminate it because it weighs about 5 pounds. I would like to fabricate something from aluminum but would like to see your approaches to this modification first.

The thought also occured to me.....Could a 124 instrument cluster be used? For the most part the 124 instruments could be removed from their faux wood dash and rearranged to make a custom cluster. They might even plug right into the X-1/9 wiring? Maybe someone can verify this if you have both an X-1/9 cluster and a 124 cluster.

Yes!

Is it a plug and play with all the instruments? How dificult was it to wire into the X? Does the tach needle stop at 8000 rpm? Does it hurt anything to peg out the needle for long sustained times?

Thanks! It looks great!

Fiat cluster

Eric:
I have a spare cluster, if you want to use it to make a new one out of, and, I have some sheet aluminum. Let me know if you are interested in either or both.

Allen Mandlebaum

Hi Alan!

I appreciate the offer but I think I now have some direction on how to mount my instrument cluster. I sure do like Mark's gauges though.

I may make the 124 cluster mod if my eyes keep getting worse. I am wearing glasses now....growing old sucks!

We'll need to get together this spring. My cars in pieces now. I am right in the middle of all my winter modifications. Email me and I can tell you all about it!

Thanks again,
Eric

? Link to photo of X cluster

I like the idea of moving the tach and Speedo together. I think there was a guy in Germany that cut a new dash plate and did something like this with all X19 dials. Perhaps someone can find a link to this thread, I have looked to no avail. I too am unhappy with the counterclockwise tach that resides roo far to the right.
Bob Brown leds , an oil gauge and relocated tach and speedo would be ideal.
Bob T.

Last edited:
Those gauges are incredible.

I have bookmarked a number of your gauge creations but cannot find the one where a fella from the EU moved the fuel gauge from between the tach and speedo in order to tighten up these two gauges. The result was easier reading of the tach and speedo. I think I remember he made a template for the gauge face to be made of Aluminum. I have yet to open up my gauge cluster, is it difficult to relocate the gauges ?? Or should I just do the light and tach rotation mods? Thanks for your help.
Bob T.

Wow!

That IS incredible! I was hoping for something easier. Easier on the pocket book and easier to do. Thanks Bob!

I have documented his project

but I don't have the original post.
I can tell you that he did a LOT of cutting of the gauge cluster and PCB behind it.
This is not something that can be done easily, but it's doable if you're ready for
using a lot of epoxy and printed circuit board soldering.
Also, he had to make an entirely new bezel (black) to match the new arrangement.
He did it using a laser cutter....

Are you buying....

....BB 4RE? (Bob Browns's blue X)

If so, this is what she looked like with the rims I had on her:
BB4REs001-1.jpg

Yes, flying up to NH in Feb or March so there will be less salt on the road then driving back to NC. Might tow it behind the RV we're getting

Good for you...

...Of the seven I have owned, this one was my favorite. I went through several upholstery shops before I got those seats the way I envisioned them. Bob has this car both mechanically and electrically much better than it was under my guard.
Congrats!

Back