headlight pods up and down problem

fiatboy

True Classic
I everyone
when i put light on 2 pods goes up but the passenger goes down and next return up
samething when i close the 2 goes down the passenger side return up then down

i think the problem was from diode but i test the diode with 12 volts and each let current goes for one side and stop the other
help please
thanks

H
I everyone
when i put light on 2 pods goes up but the passenger goes down and next return up

i think the problem was from diode but i test the diode with 12 volts and each let current goes for one side and stop the other
help please
thanks
Hi fiatboy, I had this issue earlier this year. I removed the relay and switch, cleaned all the contacts/pins and so far the pods are operating as they should. My X is an 1978 1300. Good luck.

I everyone

help please
thanks
There is a total of 4 diodes, two for each headlight motor. Did you check all 4? With your symptoms, the broken diode is usually on the side that is operating correctly, not on the side that is cycling.

good to know
i only check the side that is cycling
next check diode on the other side let's go

Where is the diode on that kind of motor

Attachments

• headlight motor2.JPG
    headlight motor2.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 270
  • headlight motor1.JPG
    headlight motor1.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 329
You can always swap the diodes - if the problem moves to the other side - you have your answer.

Ed

1srt
when i first unbolt the motor to check the diode i replace it by a spare i have
with visible diode on and the same up and down occur
Bjorn tell me to check the diode on the other side because when we got this trouble
sometime the burned diode is on the side that is correct for mouvement
unbolt driver side but no diode on the motor see photo before

I'm in trouble
the first one a remove on passenger side no diode to?????

You may be able to test the diodes without disassembling the motor. The green/black wire is connected to the anode on one of the diodes. The gray wire is connected to the anode of the other diode. If you turn the knob on the back of the motor so the bell crank is between the "up" and "down" position, the black wire will be connected to the cathode of both diodes.

ok i'm gonna try
did you tell me the diode are inside the motor for this type
because my spare motor have diode outside the cap

ok i'm gonna try
did you tell me the diode are inside the motor for this type
because my spare motor have diode outside the cap
I have not seen that type of motor, but I suspect the diodes as well as the position switches are in the piece were the three wires (gray, black and green/black) are soldered on.

surprice no diode?
Interesting. Do you know the history of this motor? Any chance the diodes have been removed? Could the diodes be mounted externally further back in the wiring harness? The diodes are definitely required, so you could try to get a pair of 1N4004 rectifier diodes (very common and not expensive). 1N4003 will work also. Solder them to the back of the worm gear unit in your photo, one in series with the green/black wire, and one in series with the gray wire. Silver cathode marking towards the solder pins:

headlight motor2.png

Last edited:
I Bjorn
after some research in france and italy this type of motor work with no diode fiat x19 72-75
that was confirm by a club fiat in italy

I Bjorn
after some research in france and italy this type of motor work with no diode fiat x19 72-75
that was confirm by a club fiat in italy
I am somewhat skeptical (understatement) of that. All the wiring diagrams I have looked at, including both US and European versions of the 1300, show diodes in series with the up / down position switches. Whether or not you need diodes is not a function of the motor, but the circuit it is connected to. I suspect the diodes in your car were either removed (or the car received a replacement motor where the diodes were removed), or they are mounted somewhere in the wiring harness away from the motor.

Incidentally, if the motor with the shorted (or missing) diodes is running faster than the other side (or more to the point, stops before the other side), you will not see any bad behavior.

you are right rx1900
the diode are in the black shield just before the plug
imposible to see it unless you cut the shield
tanks for info

Back