Heater Core for 86 X1/9 with A/C

MikeTDI1986

Daily Driver
I placed an ad in the for sale/wanted section and haven't gotten an answer. My heater core went bad in my car and I took it to a guy that is supposed to be fixing it but in case he runs into problems I was wondering if there is some way to get a replacement or an after market solution to this problem. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem. Thanks.

Hi Mike, I saw your prior post.

I also have a couple of factory AC equipped X's. So far my cores are ok, but I'm sure one day I'll be in the same boat as you. Unfortunately I do not know anything about replacements, and I don't recall anyone ever asking the question before (although I'm sure it has come up at some point).

The AC version is different so thoughts like using a 124 core don't help (that seems to be a good alternative for the non-AC X1/9 cores). While it would not surprise me that no one makes one specifically for the AC equipped X, there must be something that can be substituted - even if it requires some mods to get it in.

I'll be watching to see if you have any luck. Please post what happens.

Have you checked with Chris Obert at Fiat Plus? He has a significant store of unusual parts.

If that is a no go, I would remove it and take its measurements, post the info up here and see if we can google our way to an existing core which could be adapted. I would be happy to spend some idle time trying to find a cross reference. The OE part number is 4349504. It is clearly narrower than a non AC unit. Image below courtesy of MWB.

A6C48B98-1988-41CB-BB62-A7337D0A61D5.jpeg

The next step is finding a place to rebuild yours, they are high quality parts and can be rebuilt unlike most modern cores which are throw always.

I have two now. The problem is actually more likely the seals on the I/O pipes. Have you confirmed that it is the core that is leaking?

You will need the two gaskets for the pipes either way. MWB has them, cheap.

If you have confirmed the core is the problem & not the pipe seals, I can seal one of mine after I pressure test the one I removed to confirm the core is good. I have soaked them with vinegar to remove the inner scaling that builds up from using water/AF mix

Where are you located? As long as you are in the US, it's shouldn't be more than $15-17 for priority flat rate shipping. Assuming it passes the pressure test, I'd sell it for $60

I have two now. The problem is actually more likely the seals on the I/O pipes. Have you confirmed that it is the core that is leaking?

You will need the two gaskets for the pipes either way. MWB has them, cheap.

If you have confirmed the core is the problem & not the pipe seals, I can seal one of mine after I pressure test the one I removed to confirm the core is good. I have soaked them with vinegar to remove the inner scaling that builds up from using water/AF mix

Where are you located? As long as you are in the US, it's shouldn't be more than $15-17 for priority flat rate shipping. Assuming it passes the pressure test, I'd sell it for $60
Hi, I am from southern New Jersey. I ended up taking mine to a shop and I thought the guy would laugh at me but says he can get a new core for it and reuse the tanks. We will see but now my problem is I realise I need the middle section of the heater box because mine has a large chunk missing out of it. I may have to buy your heater core if this guy can't fix mine. Thank you for your help.

Have you checked with Chris Obert at Fiat Plus? He has a significant store of unusual parts.

If that is a no go, I would remove it and take its measurements, post the info up here and see if we can google our way to an existing core which could be adapted. I would be happy to spend some idle time trying to find a cross reference. The OE part number is 4349504. It is clearly narrower than a non AC unit. Image below courtesy of MWB.

View attachment 42067

The next step is finding a place to rebuild yours, they are high quality parts and can be rebuilt unlike most modern cores which are throw always.
I will have to check with this Chris Obert and see if he happens to have a new one. Thank you.

Hi, I am from southern New Jersey. I ended up taking mine to a shop and I thought the guy would laugh at me but says he can get a new core for it and reuse the tanks. We will see but now my problem is I realise I need the middle section of the heater box because mine has a large chunk missing out of it. I may have to buy your heater core if this guy can't fix mine. Thank you for your help.

I have spares of the heater box sections -which one is broken, the base or the center section?

I have spares of the heater box sections -which one is broken, the base or the center section?
The center section is broken. I still haven't removed the rest of it from the car so I'm wondering what shape the fresh air door is in and if I'll be able to get it freed up because I don't think it is closing. Midwest sent me the upper section which I did order not realizing that there was a center section however they accidentally sent me one that has two cables coming off of it which I assume is for a car without air conditioning. I called and told them about it then called again telling them I need a center section and the guy said he would make a note of it. There is no center section listed on their site unfortunately. I just may end up having to buy one of your spares. My car is pretty rusty and I don't know what has once again sparked my interest in it. I have been gambling a lot since I lost my parents and with all the other nonsense going on right now it has been an escape but I'm tired of it and I feel it's better to put money into this car than to have nothing to show for it. I have always been fascinated with air conditioning and would like to try to get it working. I even have an older A/C machine with a couple pounds of R-12 left in one of the cylinders. Wish there was more info available on these car's a/c systems. Thank you again for reaching out to me.

The center section is broken. I still haven't removed the rest of it from the car so I'm wondering what shape the fresh air door is in and if I'll be able to get it freed up because I don't think it is closing. Midwest sent me the upper section which I did order not realizing that there was a center section however they accidentally sent me one that has two cables coming off of it which I assume is for a car without air conditioning. I called and told them about it then called again telling them I need a center section and the guy said he would make a note of it. There is no center section listed on their site unfortunately. I just may end up having to buy one of your spares. My car is pretty rusty and I don't know what has once again sparked my interest in it. I have been gambling a lot since I lost my parents and with all the other nonsense going on right now it has been an escape but I'm tired of it and I feel it's better to put money into this car than to have nothing to show for it. I have always been fascinated with air conditioning and would like to try to get it working. I even have an older A/C machine with a couple pounds of R-12 left in one of the cylinders. Wish there was more info available on these car's a/c systems. Thank you again for reaching out to me.

Sorry to hear of your losses. This past year or so has been an absolute ****-show

The fresh air door will be frozen, guaranteed. It can be freed, but you have to remove it & soak with oil/lube & work it free.

Look at this thread: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/ac_heater-box-rebuild.20043/post-161908

He also has a complete AC rebuild thread

Come to think of it I believe I saw that thread a while back when messing with my car. I did just finish doing intake/exhaust gaskets and water pump and that is when I decided to tackle the heater core and now basically the whole box. I was actually just looking at your thread where you are doing all that wiring and body work which amazes me because I can not do nice body work! I saw where you had modified an expansion valve and wanted to ask you if it will work correctly that way? Also, have you had the A/C working in your car before and how effective was it? I'm not so sure I can rebuild my A/C box as nicely as you did either. Like making up the seals and that kind of stuff.

Come to think of it I believe I saw that thread a while back when messing with my car. I did just finish doing intake/exhaust gaskets and water pump and that is when I decided to tackle the heater core and now basically the whole box. I was actually just looking at your thread where you are doing all that wiring and body work which amazes me because I can not do nice body work! I saw where you had modified an expansion valve and wanted to ask you if it will work correctly that way? Also, have you had the A/C working in your car before and how effective was it? I'm not so sure I can rebuild my A/C box as nicely as you did either. Like making up the seals and that kind of stuff.

The expansion valve is gutted - so it's just a union elbow for me. I converted the system to orifice tube/accumulator & got rid of the receiver/dryer. The "newer" (GM style) setup is much more efficient & not subject to the issues the expansion valve creates. The AC did work with the original setup, just never very well.

IMG-20191123-135854.jpg

IMG-20191125-175034.jpg

That's really neat man. So cool how you figured all of that out! I charged mine with R-134 years ago and it would work until the car warmed up and then it was worthless. I went to a place in NJ that was able to find a drier that fit and a new expansion valve. Whether or not it's the correct valve I'm not sure. What issues are you speaking of that an expansion valve causes? I'd like to replace the drier again and charge it back up with R-12 and add a better fan to the condenser and see what happens. Also, is there some way I can get a higher amp alternator for this factory setup? Radio is always cutting out and I think I did the brown wire mod. Sorry for all the questions. How far into NY are you because I wouldn't mind meeting to get those parts if you were comfortable doing so and I decide to go that route. I should know next week. I'd rather help out someone on here that has helped me than to keep ordering from elsewhere.

Also wondering if the blower motor is supposed to make that sort of high pitched whining noise on all speeds. It has always done it since I got the car 18 years ago when I was 16.

That's a good option if a shop can rebuild it with a new core. ;)

That's really neat man. So cool how you figured all of that out! I charged mine with R-134 years ago and it would work until the car warmed up and then it was worthless. I went to a place in NJ that was able to find a drier that fit and a new expansion valve. Whether or not it's the correct valve I'm not sure. What issues are you speaking of that an expansion valve causes? I'd like to replace the drier again and charge it back up with R-12 and add a better fan to the condenser and see what happens. Also, is there some way I can get a higher amp alternator for this factory setup? Radio is always cutting out and I think I did the brown wire mod. Sorry for all the questions. How far into NY are you because I wouldn't mind meeting to get those parts if you were comfortable doing so and I decide to go that route. I should know next week. I'd rather help out someone on here that has helped me than to keep ordering from elsewhere.

Also wondering if the blower motor is supposed to make that sort of high pitched whining noise on all speeds. It has always done it since I got the car 18 years ago when I was 16.

The old setup used on the X1/9 just doesn't cool as effectively as orifice tube/Accumulator system. Not directly related to R12 vs R134a, since this design pre-dates the switch. Updating the AC condenser with a better/newer construction unit as shown in LarryC's AC thread would make a difference in your case.

You can fit a GM or other higher output alternator - I don't have details on that, but there are many threads around

I'm in Nyack, NY - next to the TZ bridge.
The blower should not be making a whining noise. That would indicate an issue. I would try soaking the bearings & armature with penetrating oil or even WD40 to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then likely the bearings are not great. I have a spare motor, but I have not checked or tested it in any way.

Regarding the case section - the mid section has the control diaphragm riveted to it - you would need to transfer that as the spare I have has a dead diaphragm. If we do this, you could bring yours & I'll remove e & transfer it for you. I made mine removable. Depending on how & where your section is cracked/broken I may be able to repair it - I'm thinking I would want to do this as a 'core' - so I still have the option of putting a spare casing back together.

dead one:
IMG-20201216-173137.jpg

IMG-20210114-111338.jpg

Last edited:
I will try to get out to my garage hopefully later today or tomorrow and get the rest of box out of the car and get a picture of where it is broken. I thought about trying to fiberglass it or something but I'm not too great at that stuff. I have a spare X that I bought from Bruce of Bruce's Parts Bin when he was on RT. 40. back in '03 or '04. I was within walking distance of the guy and still only live about a mile or two from where he was. I wonder what happened to him. Unfortunately the interior is stripped out of it and it's very rusty. Still have some usable parts on it though. Your idea is fine with me about using my piece as a core if you can. I checked and I'm only 2 hours and 15 minutes from you. I was a truck driver so that's not a bad drive for me.

I will try to get out to my garage hopefully later today or tomorrow and get the rest of box out of the car and get a picture of where it is broken. I thought about trying to fiberglass it or something but I'm not too great at that stuff. I have a spare X that I bought from Bruce of Bruce's Parts Bin when he was on RT. 40. back in '03 or '04. I was within walking distance of the guy and still only live about a mile or two from where he was. I wonder what happened to him. Unfortunately the interior is stripped out of it and it's very rusty. Still have some usable parts on it though. Your idea is fine with me about using my piece as a core if you can. I checked and I'm only 2 hours and 15 minutes from you. I was a truck driver so that's not a bad drive for me.

Yeah - that's not so bad - that would put you down around where my Mum lived until a few years ago - Exit 2 or 1 off the GSPKY? Woodstown was where she lived with my father for a number of years.

I finally got the rest of the box out of the car today. What a pain. Unfortunately the upper part is also cracked. Here is a picture of the middle section. I'm thinking the upper box MWB sent me might work. I'm guessing maybe the older A/C cars used cables and I can make that one fit this by changing a couple parts over. Haven't looked yet. There's also some green corrosion on the evaporator tubes. Not sure if that should be reused.
IMG_20210131_172244398.jpg

Back