Heater Core for 86 X1/9 with A/C

Sorry but I want to repeat my earlier question (I wasn't able to find an answer by searching online).
Is the same gasket used on the AC core as the non-AC one? And if so, is 4176872 the most current part number?
Thanks

Sorry but I want to repeat my earlier question (I wasn't able to find an answer by searching online).
Is the same gasket used on the AC core as the non-AC one? And if so, is 4176872 the most current part number?
Thanks

My understanding is that many Fiats use this same gasket - a wide range of designs of elbows & valves - but same rubber gasket.

Last time I checked mine, it was about 75 psi. Great for installing sprinklers but might be a bit much for pressurizing an X cooling system.

Doesn't matter - one is only running the tap at a low flow, just has to be enough that one can feel the pressure build under one's thumb, that's it. If the core is bad, it will leak at very low pressure.

This discussion reminds me. Over on a VW forum there's a guy that is currently going through a heater core issue. His old one leaked so he needs to replace it. For those cars there are lots of choices for new cores available from lots of sources, and they are not expensive. But for some reason he refuses to buy a new one...something about replacement parts not being the same quality as original ones. So he has collected some used ones and is pressure testing them, then cleaning them, then retesting them, to try and find one good enough to reuse. Thing is, the used cores he has collected are likely replacements themselves. But typical of that forum, it has turned into a long debate about the "correct" way to pressure test a heater core. :rolleyes:

However what I found funny is the comments about replacement part quality. Statements like "ten years ago they were great, now the current stuff is garbage". What's funny about that is I remember 40 years ago the same was said. Then again about 10 years later. Then again another 10 years, etc. The younger members weren't around to know about those prior sentiments and feel like today's supply is the only "bad" stuff.

This discussion reminds me. Over on a VW forum there's a guy that is currently going through a heater core issue. His old one leaked so he needs to replace it. For those cars there are lots of choices for new cores available from lots of sources, and they are not expensive. But for some reason he refuses to buy a new one...something about replacement parts not being the same quality as original ones. So he has collected some used ones and is pressure testing them, then cleaning them, then retesting them, to try and find one good enough to reuse. Thing is, the used cores he has collected are likely replacements themselves. But typical of that forum, it has turned into a long debate about the "correct" way to pressure test a heater core. :rolleyes:

However what I found funny is the comments about replacement part quality. Statements like "ten years ago they were great, now the current stuff is garbage". What's funny about that is I remember 40 years ago the same was said. Then again about 10 years later. Then again another 10 years, etc. The younger members weren't around to know about those prior sentiments and feel like today's supply is the only "bad" stuff.
I would NEVER put a used core into a VW! I have replaced three of them in 95-97 Passats and you have to remove the entire dash along with the steering wheel and airbags. The newer they are the worse they get. I imagine a lot of cars made in the last 30 years require this. Even the '80s Jettas and Rabbits were a pain I think. So whoever is putting in a used core must have a lot of spare time. I used original Valeo heater cores in each car I replaced them in.

I would NEVER put a used core into a VW! I have replaced three of them in 95-97 Passats and you have to remove the entire dash along with the steering wheel and airbags. The newer they are the worse they get. I imagine a lot of cars made in the last 30 years require this. Even the '80s Jettas and Rabbits were a pain I think. So whoever is putting in a used core must have a lot of spare time. I used original Valeo heater cores in each car I replaced them in.
Agreed, but I'm sure you know how Vortex members are, so it really shouldn't be all that surprising. :rolleyes: :)

Looking to update this thread.

@MikeTDI1986 what heater core did you end up using, the rebuilt one or the used one?

I am rebuilding my AC heater box and discovered the heater core now has a leak from the core portion. It did not leak before I began stripping the car apart a couple years ago, but I guess time does its damage. So now I need to either find a suitable replacement core or see about possibly getting my old one rebuilt. I searched for any info on AC style heater core replacements and came up empty so far.

It sounds like your rebuilt unit wasn't great, but might have worked? Also, do you mind telling me what it cost to have it recored?

Thanks, Jeff

Back