Hello! First Post

welcome Jim

You'll find this a great place to hang out, with a wide spectrum of owners...from guys like me who love the cars but are mechanically challenged to experts like Tony, Mac, JJ and Mike.

I'd strongly suggest checking the archive because they'd pretty much covered every question either here or on the old Xweb 1.0 site, but they are such great guys they will still answer anything, even if asked a million times.

Just dont ask about Duplicolor :) (sorry papa)

BTW, I have a tremendous car of barn envy too :)

Welcome Jim!

Hello Jim,

Welcome to the Italian X family and sharing a few images of your new X. I'm sure there will be many questions that come up, answers can be found in the archives or simply post them and it will recive the attention required.

I'm curious, coming from a Detroit muscle car history, why got you interested in the X and eventually caused you to become an owner?

Bernice

Hello All!

My father and I picked up an x1/9 over the winter and I’ve been lurking on this site for the past couple months gathering info while we work on it. I finally decided to make an account and introduce myself.

Best Regards,
Jim

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and information, and "Hello!" right back at ya!

halojm: Thank you for the offer! I think we'll be able to get it running, especially with all this advice, but I'll definitely keep you in mind. I appreciate it!

Black-Tooth: Thank you very much for the information and the link! Looks like some great info and that's likely the next direction we'll explore. Regarding MOPARs - my dad bought a 70 Cuda new back in the day as well, hence the one in the barn. It's the same setup as what he had, but his original was red as opposed to purple. He has a long history with those era cars and I've been brainwashed from an early age to like them.

Rupunzell: Hi and thanks for the questions! Autocross is really what got us interested in the x1/9. My dad and I got into AX last year and we didn't want to put the abuse on our regular vehicles any more. We saw an X run and he sort of searched one out. He proposed going halves on everything and co-driving and I couldn't say no. In general, we're both big car guys and are interested in different kinds of things. While he's still more attracted to the muscle cars, I tend to gravitate to more modern sports cars. I actually had to sell what I had been running so the X came along at a good time... having it to fall back on for fun makes driving a more boring car daily more palatable.

I know you didn't ask for my life story, but hopefully that gives a better picture of where we're coming from.

Also, looking back at my first post and some of the responses, I wanted to let you all know that I'm 29... I can see how it might have looked like I was teen and just getting into cars in general and wanted to be clear. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Alright, thanks again. I'll do my best to utilize the archive before asking stupid questions, and I do really appreciate all of this feedback.

And for the record, my dad is named Jim too. I'll keep him from setting up his own account so the site doesn't exceed the "Jim" limit.:D

Hello Jim,

Rupunzell = Bernice, the name Rupunzell comes from my long hair..

Auto x... You realize ya picked on of the most ideal Auto X cars every built?

There are a number of Auto X'ers here including Steve Hoelscher who is a National Auto X champ 5x..

Me, we race LeMons...... and have never looked back.

The X can really grow on you if given the chance for appreciation. For me, the X has been a passionate affair for close to 30 years now.

Ask lots of question, no question will ever be consider a "dumb" one. The only dumb question is the question that is not asked that resulted in something bad.

There are a lot of "Jim's" here, it does not matter as long as we can tell which "Jim" here.

Bernice

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and information, and "Hello!" right back at ya!

Rupunzell: Hi and thanks for the questions! Autocross is really what got us interested in the x1/9. My dad and I got into AX last year and we didn't want to put the abuse on our regular vehicles any more. We saw an X run and he sort of searched one out. He proposed going halves on everything and co-driving and I couldn't say no. In general, we're both big car guys and are interested in different kinds of things. While he's still more attracted to the muscle cars, I tend to gravitate to more modern sports cars. I actually had to sell what I had been running so the X came along at a good time... having it to fall back on for fun makes driving a more boring car daily more palatable.

I know you didn't ask for my life story, but hopefully that gives a better picture of where we're coming from.

Also, looking back at my first post and some of the responses, I wanted to let you all know that I'm 29... I can see how it might have looked like I was teen and just getting into cars in general and wanted to be clear. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Alright, thanks again. I'll do my best to utilize the archive before asking stupid questions, and I do really appreciate all of this feedback.

And for the record, my dad is named Jim too. I'll keep him from setting up his own account so the site doesn't exceed the "Jim" limit.:D

Jims, Jims, everywhere there are Jims...

In my family... it was Joes...

HAHAHAHA!

Yur most welcome for the info... I await what you find... hopefully I have NOT caused you trouble, but saved you a lot of trouble.

Welcome to the club, it seems like the X family grows constantly, the more members the stronger the knowledge base. Unless your like me and all you do is absorb.

Anyways, I was thinking BWM for the starter, Tony suggested this to me and it solved all kinds of electrical woes, for me it was my lighting, but I've read about other folks having trouble cranking it over and solved it with the BWM. I also have to say the car cranks so much faster with the BWM. The difference is really surprising. Coming form other vehicles you'd never think something so simple would make such a big difference.

With the carb, I'd have to be curious about heat soak, but this is just the Californian in me. We don't have to deal with rust, but everything here runs hot. If your car has the sputtering symtoms while cold ignore my rookie guess and follow the advice of the pros who posted previously.

Love the garage too, especially when you work out of an apartment complex one car half filled with baby stuff.

Back