How do I remove the speedo cable.

TomasL

True Classic
As the title.
On the gearbox side.
Have losing the al-nut, but it seems like the cable is locked with something.
I can move it upp and down a mm or so, but it feels like it's locked in place.
20220704_114344.jpg

There is no "lock" on the inner cable - it is a push fit into the drive unit for about 25mm. It is likely rusted in place, so perhaps some penetrating release fluid is the way to go. Be wary of breaking the cable off in the drive unit as it will then be impossible to remove the piece inside so requiring another unit :(

Last edited:
Perhaps try removing the whole drive mechanism with the cable first. To do that, remove this retainer bolt:
20220704_114344.jpg

They you can deal with the inner cable on the workbench. Perhaps soak it in solvent, rust dissolver, lube, whatever.

So, if I remove this bolt, I can get the whole thing out, including the threaded part?

Yes. However the whole drive may also be stuck in the case. And I don't recall but there might be a hole in the end of the drive where you could use a punch to drive out the end of the cable? Here is what the drive assembly looks like:

drive.jpg

So, if I remove this bolt, I can get the whole thing out, including the threaded part?
In case it doesn't come out first go, see this thread:

And I don't recall but there might be a hole in the end of the drive where you could use a punch to drive out the end of the cable?
No, unfortunately there's internal access, it's a blind hole that the cable goes into.

I got the cable out, however I do not know if it is broken or not, there is a metal tube coming out approximately 10mm above the tread.
Is that part of the cable or the drive?

Anyway, now I need to get the drive-part out, is it easier with a dismanteled gearbox?
I will dismantle the box anyway, for a thorough clean out and inspection, and changing the seals as well.

I do not like things that is seized.

The gearbox does not need to come apart to remove the speedo drive, and it doesn't make it any less stuck. So either way is the same. :) I agree about seized parts. And there are certainly a lot of them on these cars. :D

@TomasL You will have a look at my gearbox in the next few days and you'll see what it should look like.
I am looking forward to using your load cell and pushing/seating the diff bearing.

however I do not know if it is broken or not, there is a metal tube coming out approximately 10mm above the tread.
The 10mm tube sticking out is correct, see Dr Jeff's picture above:

Push a piece of wire or 2.5mm drill piece etc into the hole to measure the depth - the depth should be 25mm or so - if it is much less, then there is broken cable piece inside.

Back