I need to change my fluids, any brand preference?

Chris is right. It is very difficult to get good advice on oil. The average auto mechanic will give you some of the worst advice. Many of the new car dealers in my area are servicing their customer's cars with oil that is inappropriate and the nobody working there, not the managment, techs or anyone else, has the slightest clue that what they are doing is wrong.

ATE "Super Blue" is marked as a DOT4+, Not silicon based at all.

The same brake fluid comes in Blue, Red, Amber.. why?
Some folks alternate the brake fluid colors when it is flushed from the system. If Blue is initially installed, then Red or Amber could be used next time brake fluid is changed. Once the fluid being flushed changes color enough, it is an indicator that most of the old brake fluid has been flushed.

It's rather cleaver German thinking..

There are higher temp rated brake fluids available today, but the ATE offers good value. I started using this years ago when it was the standard fill in Mercedes, got it from the local Mercedes dealer, then it became widely available.

Bernice

No, its a DOT4 fluid. I think it's the same as Ate TYP 200 except with blue dye. I personally hate the blue dye because it turns the whole system blue and makes the fluid look funny when you put non dyed fluid in. I really don't see the point of the blue.

That's the theory but usually when you go from blue to amber you end up with green unless you flush an enormous amount through the system.

What do you guys think of Valvoline, synthetic or otherwise? I haven’t seen anything about it on this thread yet.

It does work.

Keep in mind I have no problems with flushing over 2 liters of brake fluid into a brake system. I will say this pratice has kept most the brake and clutch systems in the fleet well and mostly problem free over the years. Brake fluid flush cost less and is less work to deal with than replacing every seal, hose, cylinder or caliper in a brake system.

Kinda extreme for some, but it is my way of keeping stuff out of trouble.

Bernice

That's the theory but usually when you go from blue to amber you end up with green unless you flush an enormous amount through the system.

Not extreme

A liter of good brake fluid costs about 6 bucks.
It takes AT LEAST a liter to get the fluid running clear in my experience.
Spending (say) 12 bucks on a thorough brake flush is good insurance IMHO.

Back