I stumbled on a Lancia Beta for sale (not mine)

Dave Bassett

True Classic
I stumbled on a Lancia Beta for sale at a salvage yard near Orland California (90 miles north of Sacramento). It looks remarkably intact, has a title, and could be had for "...less than $1000." I have photos if anyone is intereted.

Well, my neighbor has a running 500e, I've seen running Betas, but the only BiTurbos I have seen are in junk yards (stole the horn off one for my Mk1 GTI back in '88) or with their engine internals laid out on the workbench.

My foray into V6 Alfas was driven by the question if I would be able to keep them running as a daily driver. Did I have the chops. After 20 years the answer is "no problem". What could be the next daily challenge? Citroen SM? BiTurbo? The world may never know!

Once upon a time, Sam (former American Lancia Club president) advised me of a rust free 1975 Beta Coupe that should be saved.
I paid $1 for it, spent 8k restoring the paint, shocks, etc and sold it for $3500. It is a hobby, not an investment....
That sounds like the story about how to have a million dollar restoration business. Start with $2M and within a year, it'll be worth $1M.

Think about a non-abarth 500 and that dies at 87 miles. Pathetic. Sergio slapped it together because Obummer said no small car or no bailout.
The 500e was built for California as a 'compliance' car. Their gas powered models didn't meet the emissions standards for California so they had to offer an all electric model for offset. It was only available here in CA ( and Oregon because they asked for it). Sergio hated it because they were forced to make it, and they lost somewhere around $18,000 on each one ... We love ours though!😁 We'll be sad when the battery dies 😭

Think about a non-abarth 500 and that dies at 87 miles. Pathetic. Sergio slapped it together because Obummer said no small car or no bailout.
This sounds like you have never driven one. If you are out in Denver, come drive mine. It's astounding and will greatly alter your opinion of this tiny city car. And it is bone stock.

I read that a lot of good engineering went into the 500e and it was much more balanced than a regular 500. Its only downfall was a banker for a CEO.

This sounds like you have never driven one. If you are out in Denver, come drive mine. It's astounding and will greatly alter your opinion of this tiny city car. And it is bone stock.
No I have not driven the 500e, but have driven the pop, sport and Abarth. The Abarth was much fun, except difficult egress in the back for our dog. The dash gauges are horrific. Would you all lay praise on a Nissan Leaf if it had a FIAT badge?

BTW I recall Sergio was an accountant, not a banker (a distinction without a difference).

Back