Ignition key question

jasco

True Classic
Two weeks ago, I managed to lose my one and only ignition key for my '82 X :dead: On an archived thread, I read that any good locksmith could make a key from the lock. Armed with such good news I hacked the old ignition switch off the steering column and delivered it to our local locksmith who has been in business for a million years. After a week of repeated calls badgering him about it, the switch was returned to me with the verdict that it couldn't be done. :mad: Then I talked to a very nice fellow at Midwest Bayless and became convinced that my chances were non-existent of getting a key made so I ordered an after-market ignition switch. But the thought of losing my lovely ignition switch with the Italian words on it is killing me. is it really hopeless?? Can I really NOT get a key made from the existing cylinder?? Someone say it ain't so!:cry:

Try another locksmith

I have had keys made for two cars, the first time I took in the entire upper column and he made the key while I waited for $12.

Another option would be to buy a lock with keys from someone parting a car - I don't have one left in my parts pile or I would offer it to you.

Good luck!

Did your locksmith tell you what the problem was?

If the guys Robert suggested can't help you (don't see why they wouldn't), perhaps you can by a key blank from them and bring to a local locksmith.

Another option is to get any odd X1/9 ignition key and have a locksmith rebuild the lock to fit. I can't think of a reason why this would be easier for the locksmith than cutting a new key to match the lock you have though.

If you run into a snag putting the lock / switch / re-start interlock back together let me know. I have some photos of my ignition switch in various states of disassembly.

Last edited:
The locksmith I went to said he "went to his site" and learned that the lock could be taken apart, but not put back together. That really does smack of not knowing what he's doing, doesn't it? BTW, he did suggest I go to a FIAT dealer:lol:. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to use the aftermarket switch to get me driving again, but now I'm on a Mission from God!
ng_randolph, any pix you have would be a great help I think. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I thought that the lock cylinders had the key codes on them so if you had the code you merely had to cut the key accordingly? My locksmith said they could do this (I have an ignition key but no door keys on my X) but wouldn't guarantee it if I only brought the code in. The codes are supposed to be written into the owners manual (mine wasn't). I had only one ignition key, and had them make two copies using blanks they had on hand. I couldn't get the keys into the recessed key hole because the keys were large and square, so they reground the edges to match the original key which now sits safely somewhere. I still haven't pulled off a door lock to look for the code though. This is a locksmith that's been there for many years, and I still think his old man is in the back room somewhere. Actually they did pull out a chart with Fiat blanks and show me how they cut them per the codes.

I brought in the trunk lock cylinder off an old '69 Datsun (many years ago) because I only had ignition keys and they had no problems makig a key for it, don't know if the codes were on it or how they did it.

call Chris at Fiat Plus

In the archives he said:

"If I had your ignition switch in hand I could make it a key. You need to visit a better locksmith."

1-831-423-0218

Agreed

When I worked at a dealership, if we had a car with lost keys and no codes, we would use a "sift key" and a file and create it from scratch . pretty easy to do, but time consuming. (about an hour or so)

Odie

Fiat Plus was somewhat less confident than the archived post led me to believe. He did suggest I try a better locksmith. I contacted another locksmith. I suppose if he is able to make a key I'll consider him "better""! :worship: I ran out of patience, though and bought an aftermarket switch from Matt. I can't say enough about how friendly and incredibly prompt they are! I had my part in 2 days with only el-cheapo USPS shipping. I'm terrorizing the town again in my X! :dance2:

More ignition woes

I broke down and bought the aftermarket switch offered by Matt just to get myself driving again and drove for a week. Now this morning I drove to Wal-mart and when I returned to my car, the ignition switch did not activate the ignition circuit. :wall::( No idiot lights, head lights, radio, etc. No click of the starter. The ignition is simply not turned on. I have emergency flashers and the dome light when I open the door. Good battery, good connections. I opened up the steering column and rechecked the connections to the switch, and they seem OK. I took out the ignition switch again and get continuity across two of the four contacts when the switch is on. I don't see any burned out fuses, and in fact the Haynes manual (or the Fiat workshop manual) identify the ignition circuit as being "unprotected." The only symptom that doesn't point to a faulty ignition switch is that the horn doesn't work, either. But then I don't really know if it worked without the car being turned on before this little fiasco. I've never had a car that the horn didn't work all of the time, but I've also never had one that the headlights go out when you turn the car off. What have I done to the Fiat gods to have deserved this? Any and all ideas will be much appreciated.:help:

Look Here

In your fuse panel you will see a connector that looks like this:

DSC_2701.jpg

It is a connector tha joins the 2 main power supply wires for the fuse panel and the ignition switch to the battery. One wire goes to the battery post. one wire goes over to the ignition switch. one wire goes to fuse 10. One wire goes to fuse 12.
IIRC the horn is fuse 12. Check fuse 12 for voltage

Thank you, Robert, for the info. I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight to try it. (But I think I'll go take a quick look before I leave this morning) By the way, is that the infamous "brown wire" that I need to double up on?
Ken

Yes it is

What I did is aquire another connector, add another 10 gauge wire from the battery and separate the circuits.

Connector One
1. Battery
2. Wire to fuse 12

Connector Two
1. Battery
2. Ignition switch
3. Wire to fuse 10

This doubles the capacity of the fuse panel. If you do this with the insertable headlight mod the electrical system works MUCH better.

I see you work night shift too?

I USED to work nights. Now that I have a "normal" life (except for being addicted to Fiats) I still get up at 3:30 AM. I went out and jiggled the connector and my horn miraculously worked, so I dropped the steering column again ( had to put it back up to get towed home last night) and plugged in the switch. Still nothing, but the horn wasn't working again. Hmmmmmm. Now I have a starting point. Thanks for the direction!
:hmm2:

I checked the connector, but I admit I don't have a clue what to look for. I have 12 V coming down the brown wire into the connector, and I have 12 V on both sides of fuse 10. The horn still doesn't work and the ignition won't come on. I also think I found the brown wire that goes into the ignition switch connector and it tests 12V there, also.
I had just driven the car in the rain with headlights, blower, and wipers on. Shut it off normally when I parked it and it never came on again. Any more good ideas?

Last edited:
Back to the horn...

...horn should always work, even with the ignition key in your pocket, so I doubt that runs power through the ignition switch. If you want us to send you out another ignition switch to try, I can get one shipped out tomorrow. If that isn't the issue, just mail it back? Want to see you back on the road!
Thomas from Midwest-Bayless

That would be great, but if the ignition switch is at fault, why doesn't the horn work??? Does the steering column have to be bolted in it's normal position for there to be a complete circuit? I suppose there's only one way to find out.
BTW, are you the fellow that answers the phone?

that.....

....Would be me. I doubt it is the switch, but it would at least allow you to rule that out. Call me tomorrow if you like.

I held the steering column up in its normal position over the studs, and the horn tootled just fine...eliminating that red herring. Like I said, I see 12 V at the connector, so I'll be calling you in the am for a new ignition switch.
I bet mine's an uglier brown than yours.

I got my new ignition switch today and installed it. Magnifico! :love:the car fired right up! Oddly, the clock went back to 0:00 as if all power had been off. Also the headlights popped up and now won't go back down, but at least I can drive it again! Thanks for all of your help. I'll ship the old one back to you Monday. (I gotta use UPS though):dance2:

Back