Ignition key question

Glad the new switch worked...

...now you can enjoy the beautiful weekend we have ahead of us!

Locks

Hi, i am a Locksmith and have been for the last 9 years been with Fiats for the last 15 and there are always codes on all Fiat locks i have ever seen sometimes you have to disassemble them a little to find the codes mainly in the ignition.
also in Australia it is quite a common problem for the electronics on the back of the ignition to burn out.
Sorry i didnt catch this thread earlier otherwise i would have been more than happy try and help.
Maybe i should do up a thing on the locks for all X web people if you having trouble with them and were the codes are on the locks.
Let me know if anyone needs any more info.

I'm still insisting on getting a new key made for the old ignition switch. Locksmith 1 said they could be taken apart, but not put back together, and I haven't had the switch to locksmith 2. Any info would be appreciated. In fact, another locksmith I talked to said he could make a key with just the code...Where is it?

Several weeks have passed, and I'm on my 3rd ignition switch. Midwest was kind enough to send me a Yugo switch and...well, the record week's worth of service has not elapsed yet. The jury is still out but hopes are high! Thanks Matt and bb4re for all of your help and :Dpatience!

I confess I didn't read the whole thread but why not keys for classics website? The codes are on the car. I ordered a door key from them and it works fine. They can cut to the code. If the switch is burned(ing) up that's another issue I know but for $16 you can have a key that should work in a few days.

Last edited:
I do want a new key for the old ignition. I admit I have only taken it to one locksmith who failed. Where exactly, pray tell, are the "key codes" on the car? I believe they are on the side of the lock cylinder which (according to locksmith 1) can't be taken out without a key! Catch-22!

Back