Interesting....... (new parts arrived)

Kevin B (Asheville NC)

Administrator
Ordered Vick Autosports sport springs for nice x..... but they ain't red.....

They are bright yellow?

Are these the same as IAP sport springs, or has Vick changed vendors?

:D

I was going to ask "Yellow? What are they afraid of?"

I figured someone would have something substantive to offer on the topic, so I decided not to post a lame joke. Obviously I was wrong. ;)

I think a picture of the Yellow Springs would have gotten a response. Let's give it a try!!

1776978483_8f01fba462.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benimoto/1776978483/

Sorry Kevin...

I was gonna do what Jimmy said... and say something like:

"OH NO... not the YELLOW ones!"

But alas, I decided not to.

Besides, everyone knows if they ain't RED they ain't worth crap!

HA!

But seriously, most SPRING FOLKS do paint their springs to designate SOMETHING... like a particular rate or something. I guess yur gonna haveta go back to Vicks and ask them, "What the Hell, over???"

Jim... not to provoke you and yur lame thoughts...

... too much more...

1. But do Yellow Springs come from the same place as Yellow Snow... and if so... would it not be wise to drink from it... unlike this Benimoto character?

2. Are "yellow" springs "afraid" of something... or do you think they are just plain "chicken"?

3. Lastly... what do you think is WRONG with you?

I guess yur gonna haveta go back to Vicks and ask them, "What the Hell, over???"

From Jerry Lee at Vick's

Hi, Kevin- You have the correct color. All of our performance spring are- and were- supposed to be powder coated Vick Racing Yellow. The previous management neglected to have one batch of springs powder coated in yellow, so some were dispatched in black.

VICK RACING YELLOW IS OUR COMPANY TRADITION

One of our earliest race cars was bright yellow. As the race program developed, a bright yellow, we call it Vick Racing Yellow, was used. (See X1/9 pictures below circa 1997)

Vick Racing Yellow appeared on various Vick Autosports race cars over the years. When Vick introduced it's line of performance springs, the decision was made to use yellow.

Yellow will be an option- as well as a few other colors- on our upcoming performance brakes. These brakes will be a world beater, but that's a story for another day.

Thanks to all X Enthusiasts!

-Jerry Lee Phillips, owner VAS

BTW, if X enthusiasts would like to see more of our racing pictures, go to vickauto.com and click on the "RACING" tab on the left side of the homepage.

RobertG.jpg

RobertF.jpg

Last edited:
So are you going to leave them yellow?

Or paint them red to go with your X? Just curious.

I will leave them as delivered. These will go on nice x with KYB GR2's (yellow / silver) and will be kept as "nice x"

My race x (SCCA DSP autocross car) has KYB GR2's on it now with Faza Stage 3 (white in color) springs. WAY too stiff with not near enough dampening. I have Koni reds (to be sent back to Lee Grimes at Koni for rebuilding / revalving / conversion to yellow specs ( and painted as such) + conversion to coilovers and red Eiback springs installed.

Got my BLUE springs today...

... Not from Vicks... but from Racer Bob Brown Automotive and LED Guru Incorporated, LLP of Keene New Hampshire, USA...

These are the 1 3/4" shortened, increased compression rate models specifically tuned to the individual driver/racer by the LED Guru Hisself under clinical conditions in his state of the art (basement) manufacturing facility in the Northeastern part of these United States!

015-1.jpg

When money and time are no object, like with my Romanian friend Ovi... you need to order a set of these for your X1/9. Once installed, you'll never go back stock, stock-cut, red, yellow, black or green springs that anyone else might offer!

OK... here is another shot that exposes a bit more of the truth...

Many of you know I cut my own springs about 13 years ago, removing about 1 1/4 coils and have been happy with the results, the LOOK, and the PERFORMANCE they offered with absolutely NO problems. Yes they fit loose, and they did not settle upright very well. I also used a set of Gabriel INSERTS in the struts at the same time.

I noted lately that both the FRONT and REAR strut support bushings are very worn and the struts are no longer centered in their upper mounts. Bob Brown had a few extra and also some stock front springs and some other things I needed... and sent them out, while I ordered a new set of KYB Struts from Summit to go all around. I also picked up a set of Plaia Pivots from Chris Obert... and thought its about time I do a more professional job. (BTW - I have NEVER replaced the rear struts in 167k miles!)

Here are the tools I used...

016-1.jpg

I first used a rotary tool and lopped off ONE coil... then (SURPRISE... SURPRISE!) I was able to heat the spring 180 degrees opposite from the newly cut end... with a PROPANE TORCH... and after about 3 minutes... turned the spring over and pressed the end down against a 2x4 and bent the end down about another inch... so the spring would now sit almost FLAT in its perch! I then used a bench grinder and flattened the end even more for an almost level seat. In fact, it now sits MORE level than the stock configuration.

From my experience... the removal of one coil takes a bit of softness out and provides a bit stiffer, but IMHO, a much firmer ride without being harsh. It will also lower the front end about 2 inches, and running 185x60s up front, clear just fine... with what I feel is a PERFECT rake. I will also probably modify the strut shafts to mount the springs snugly as per the Lesezig description in Best Of.

So... any of you who don't wanna spend much money but get a lower stance with improved braking and handling due to stiffer springs and better weight transfer... here is an alternative you might try!

Also... against the silver-gray of the new struts and blacked out wheelwell, you can paint these springs ANY COLOR you want! HA!

Last edited:
Whoa!

Well-well! Ain't those springs purrty! You better be careful Tony, that BLUE paint might be contagious! Haha! We're gonna have to call yer ride "Black'n Bluetooth" :shock: :jedi:

Nice job on the bend, BTW. Proud of the workmanship. You've still got it in ya and that's GOOD. Don't forget to put a little rust-o-lium coating on those strut tower mounts to keep them looking purrty too.

Also, your not going to believe the difference in steering when you put in those Plaia pivots... At first, I thought I forgot to tighten something because the steering was so smooth and easy. You'll love it, I guarantee. (and I didn't sell you those, Ha!)

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing... LOVE the photos.

HA... so you are up!

I'm still looking for a response from the RED and YELLOW spring crowd... HAHAHA! I also can't wait for the struts to arrive so's I can get started with the upgrade. (We had RAIN tonight... about 1 hour of drizzle... OH NOOOOO!)

As far as the BLUES goes... Yeah, I'll be using touches all over, like I said, with new pinstripes, seats and all... it oughtta POP!

And to my distress... this is the first time I have used a FORD BLUE color, or a FORD anything on one of my cars... not since I used a 'glas 23T Bucket on my first rod!

I had never heard of it before, just one of the top Google hits for "Yellow Springs"

I was looking for a non-automotive yellow springs picture to taunt Kevin with and "Yellow Springs" just sounded like a likely name for some town somewhere.

So probably not too widely known outside Ohio?? Maybe?? :)

Hey!
I live in Yellow Springs. How widely know is this place?

Well known within the State...

...Jim, you pass it every time you come to visit us. I-70, west of Columbus.

Back