K20/24, why not move the gas tank?

Mechanogeek

True Classic
When I see the K20/K24 swaps being done, I always see all of the compromises to accommodate the limited space available.

And I wonder: Why not put an 8 or 10gal fuel cell in the front, remove the gas tank behind the driver, and cut out all of that excess sheet metal that hides the gas tank? Wouldn't that make it immensely easier to fit everything in the engine bay?

I am contemplating a swap next year, and unless I find a valid reason not to, that WILL be one of my modifications.

So, before I make a massive design error, I am just curious why it is not done currently.

watching this thread as I have been thinking of the frunk mounted cell for awhile. I will need the room if I go turbo. the biggest issue I have so far is the price of a cell that would work. plenty of inexpensive ones that have the lower back pickups, but dont know how well that will work with the hard corning the X can do. had several suggestions of the holly mat, or a duck foot pickup, but those dont work in the inexpensive rear pickup cells.

Odie

When I see the K20/K24 swaps being done, I always see all of the compromises to accommodate the limited space available.

And I wonder: Why not put an 8 or 10gal fuel cell in the front, remove the gas tank behind the driver, and cut out all of that excess sheet metal that hides the gas tank? Wouldn't that make it immensely easier to fit everything in the engine bay?

I am contemplating a swap next year, and unless I find a valid reason not to, that WILL be one of my modifications.

So, before I make a massive design error, I am just curious why it is not done currently.
I've had the same question. Answer from someone who did the swap, but did not want to move the tank, was he wanted to retain the frunk to put stuff in. Makes sense to me.
But, as far as weight distribution goes the stock location for the gas tank is very bad. And with a heavier Honda engine and trans in the car moving the tank to the frunk helps weight distribution a lot. But if you're only going to cruise the car you really need the room the frunk allows to put stuff in. On a racecar - not so much.

My father is doing a ecotec swap and has the tank in the stock location, he said it’s right above the cg so it doesn’t affect handling too much, also it allows for more weight on the drive tires.

I think he also wanted some storage in the front as well since there will be no trunk.

remove the gas tank behind the driver, and cut out all of that excess sheet metal that hides the gas tank
Purely based on what I've read on the forum from the guys who have done the Honda swap. I believe it isn't so much the sheet metal panel, but the main frame rail that is directly below that panel (from side to side) that needs to be clearanced. So removing the flat panel is one thing, but you will still have to do something about the frame rail (particularly on the passengers side). That seems to be the bigger cutting/welding job.

Of course you are also referring to the similar panel behind the spare tire well. I believe that entire panel (behind the tank and behind the spare tire) is rather structural. That combined with the parallel interior one forms a large bulkhead that acts to prevent the "box" from collapsing. So something should replace it structurally if the panel is removed?

As for the shift in weight (moving the fuel tank from the center of the car to the front trunk), I believe it is changing the polar moment. The more the car's mass is contained in the very center, the less polar moment, and handling is greatly improved. But someone with a much better understanding of this needs to expound on it.

However I'm with you. If you are going to cut up the car (and I hope you do) then don't be shy. Make all the changes necessary to accomplish the task with as little compromise as possible.

There’s much more space on the DS, relatively speaking. It’s more the center area which is exactly where the tunnel comes up & ties into the crossmember and bulkhead.

Unless you have a drivetrain which has much stuff hanging out over the trans, it’s really just the center area. Modifying the gas tank and revising (see Tony’s 500 Abarth swap) rather than removing the center area makes more practical sense, IMO

Back