Keeping the Faith....

This Mazda engine is delivered rather "tweaked" and most bolt on, go fast bits don't make too much difference. As noted, this engine does not feel revy, and had reasonable torque at lower RPM's... Given it's specifications, twin cam, 16V and etc.. it simply does not feel willing to be driven hard the way a properly set up FIAT sohc engine does.

But this Mazda engine is strong and durable.. Proven in 24 hours of LeMons racing.

As for the chassis, I still perfer the x1/9 for it's dynamics.. The Miata feels like a front engine/rear drive car under every condition and the ride is better in the X1/9.. Much like a Lotus Elan saanitized for mass consumption.... comments based on the 97' Miata we have in the fleet.

160 to the wheels is doable when keeping a Miata NA, but I wouldn't expect any NA 4 banger to gain 30hp with only minor mods. I don't know of a NA 4 cylinder that will gain 30 hp off of any bolt on parts, not to the wheels at least. You will have to crack open the motor and put on cams and/or have head work done before you see 30hp to the wheels.

But your right, they gain less from NA builds then other motors. Throw a turbo on one and you can make as much power as you want. 800+ hp has been done using a 1.8 as a starting block.

So if a motor doesn't respond to NA tuning, but responds very well to a turbo... I don't see the issue at all. Building a turbo car tends to be much cheaper then building an NA.

As far as Miata VS X1/9, I still prefer the X1/9. But it has nothing to do with its engine and everything to do with where the engine is located.

Back