Knock-Off wheels?

TonyBiondi

Low Mileage
Would it be possible to convert my 85‘s 13”-4 bolt wheels to knock offs, I think It would look nice but I’m wondering if it’s worth it or if there‘s something I should know about that before I commit to it.

Welcome to Xweb Tony!

I assume (always dangerous) you would need some type of adapter the fit the Fiat hub and provided a knock off connection?? Maybe? I have never seen one discussed, but I was looking at this Dallara replica a couple years ago and it "seems" to have knock off wheels. It could just be a fancy hub cap, I never got that far into my investigation before the car was sold.
s-l1600 (10).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Welcome to Xweb Tony!

I assume (always dangerous) you would need some type of adapter the fit the Fiat hub and provided a knock off connection?? Maybe? I have never seen one discussed, but I was looking at this Dallara replica a couple years ago and it "seems" to have knock off wheels. It could just be a fancy hub cap, I never got that far into my investigation before the car was sold.
View attachment 58766View attachment 58767
If it happened to be a fancy hubcap, then that could be a safer, cheaper option, because I‘m kind of shooting for “the look” more than the functionality. But I‘m grateful for your feedback! You’ve answered my question pretty well, thank you for your help.

There is a company that specializes in making knockoff wheels with adapters and could likely build you a custom application for the X. But it would cost you several times the total value of your car. Furthermore they would be heavy and not very wide. Really wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

I'm with you, for just the look see if you can find a fake knockoff wheel cover.

Now that I'm back home and on my computer I am able to look closer at the pics in post #2. I'm sure those are not real knockoffs, but aftermarket wheel covers.

Here is an idea of how they work. The first pic shows a mounting base that bolts in between the wheel and hub. Then the three spoke "spinners" attach to that mount over the wheel. This one has the "spinners" but not the "lug covers" (see pic 2 for that):
57_0905b1cd-a738-44e7-911a-606d6be9aa86_grande.jpg

This pic shows the three spike spinners with the lug covers, but the mounting base that goes behind them isn't well seen (see pic 1). The cover dish and spinner go over the wheels:
4-Towers-Spinners-Lug-Cover-Chrome.jpg

I believe these are what you see on the car in post #2.

I don't believe you can can convert a wheel from bolt on to knock off. The ones I have seen have a big hole in the middle to take the.. I guess it's basically the axel, and the spinner threads onto that. You would need wheels made for the application and hubs made for it as well.
Knock.jpg

Looking at this however, looks like it may be doable with some modification and the right wheels.
knock2.jpg

Also, something to be VERY careful about. you have fittings for the right side of the car and fitting that are for the left side (if you swap them you will have a tire off fail.

Also, don't allow the car to be towed backward, again you WILL have a tire off fail!!!

Have heard of this when tow trucks towing Mg's backwards. very expensive Mistake.

(not that an X1/9 can do this) But don't do burn out in reverse. as again. Yes, you guessed it,,, a tire off fail.

I don't believe you can can convert a wheel from bolt on to knock off. The ones I have seen have a big hole in the middle to take the.. I guess it's basically the axel, and the spinner threads onto that. You would need wheels made for the application and hubs made for it as well.View attachment 59328
Looking at this however, looks like it may be doable with some modification and the right wheels.
View attachment 59329
That is the method for the custom applications I referred to previously. The company can design a adapter hub (like your second pic) for most vehicles. And they make wheels designed to work with those hubs (similar to your first pic). But it is VERY costly to have done. And it moves the hubs' mounting surface out further, so the offset is like on a front wheel drive car. That limits the size of wheel that can be used. Not to mention the whole thing is heavy; it's definitely only for the look.

I think most cars that have wire wheels that didn't come that way merely have bolt on hubs and fake spinners.

Babcock, that's funny. I still have Thor, the knockoff hammer from my dad's XKE. It's brass on one side and leather on the other. It's in a keepsake cabinet in our living room.

Would it be possible to convert my 85‘s 13”-4 bolt wheels to knock offs, I think It would look nice but I’m wondering if it’s worth it or if there‘s something I should know about that before I commit to it.
Find a Dallara 'Indy car' and adapt the hubs and brakes from it. Then get some Formula 3 wheels from a Dallara F3 car (8' front, 10" rear).
easy peasy....

Not one of those, you need a soft metal so as not to damage the spinner. This was my father's from when he had knock off wire wheels on a Ferrari he use to race in the 50's. I still have it today copper core banded with steel.
View attachment 59333View attachment 59334
My dad made a lead hammer years ago, lent it to a guy before he even used it and of course never got it back.
That's what the one pictured by @dnudelman is, a lead hammer made specifically for use on knockoffs. I believe that is the most common material used for this?

Lead melts easily, he stuck a handle in a soup can then filled it with lead. I have almost enough lead, I just need to take the time to make one. Not that I have knockoff wheels.

Any hub can be converted to Knock-Off center wheel & nut, question is why?

Knock-Offs have a long list of problems such as knock-off retainer removal (they get stuck easy causing remarkable grief), very limited wheel choice adding to the limited tire choice, hub adapter issues, possible wheel balance issues due to the way the old knock off system works, IMO, not safe, Install requires a LOT more force than can be achieved with a hammer. Until one has struggled to deal with a stuck knock off, the appreciation of why these became history will not be appreciated. Knock off wrenches have become common due to the difficulties "hammering" on the knock off.

Only reason why these were used back in them days was much about "faster wheel" change during a race. Air impact wrenched completely altered all that for ever in the real race car world.

Paoli 1" drive air impact gun for race car center nut. About 2,500 ft/lb center nut on in less than one second, more than 2,500 ft/lb off in once second. This is the modern version of a "knock-off".

Bernice

Back