M. Lawson

True Classic
So I have replaced the turn, brake, reverse and marker lights with LED.....and I cannot get the turn signals to work....

I have tried various LED Flasher relays and none have fixed the issue.

I got the bulbs from SuperbrightLED. I have not installed resistors in the lines... But I was under the impression that would not be required if the stock flasher relay was replaced with an appropriate LED compatible electronic flasher....I have gone thru 4 different Flasher relays and none have worked.
The lights come on and either do nothing when turn signals used (same with hazards) or the lights simply get brighter...no flashing.

I have searched tons of posts about the LED swap...and have become somewhat frustrated. So many people say to replace the flasher relay....nobody seems to ever answer with a specific relay to use that will work.....I usually find a "looks like this" comment with a photo that is no longer viewable.

Can anyone give me a solid answer on what flasher relay to use to get my signals working properly in my 1981 X?

Are you using a EFL 3 LED relay? Did you buy it from SuperBright?

There are a wide variety of these, some are adjustable for blink rate.

These are their choices, however you should be able to find similar items most anywhere such as Amazon or even most of the automotive stores:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor.../fl3-red-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/780/834/

If you are already using the above, then it seems the fault lies in something else. Perhaps one or more of the bulbs are incorrect, installed incorrectly or some other wiring defect. I assume the system worked fine before you made any changes?

(This post has been edited to reflect information which came along later in the thread. The FL 3 or EFL 3 have a “P” post which goes to ground. The edit was made to minimize incorrect information being spread in the forum)

Last edited:
LED's are polarity sensitive. The bulbs with 1157 an 1156 fittings should be no problem but the dash lights can be installed either way so you might check polarity on those. When I changed over to LED's the blinkers wouldn't work so I put the incandescent bulb for signals back in the dash and the flashers worked albeit faster than normal. I read that DOT sets the rate of flashes at 60 to 160 flashes per minute. My signals go at about 140 FPM. I never put in a resister because I like the fast flash.

I haven't changed the dash lights, only the exterior lights listed in my original post.

LED's are polarity sensitive. The bulbs with 1157 an 1156 fittings should be no problem but the dash lights can be installed either way so you might check polarity on those. When I changed over to LED's the blinkers wouldn't work so I put the incandescent bulb for signals back in the dash and the flashers worked albeit faster than normal. I read that DOT sets the rate of flashes at 60 to 160 flashes per minute. My signals go at about 140 FPM. I never put in a resister because I like the fast flash.

Is there a relay like this available anywhere outside of ordering it online? Getting a little pricey paying all the shipping on stuff lately....? Is FL-3 a standard designation for this relay or is it specific to Superbright?

I believe THIS is the one you want ...

I believe THIS is the one you want ...
Have the same prob....front blinkers already converted, and got a solid state flasher already, worked fine until I put LED in the rear lights. Question I have....are the early model X's Flasher circuits the same, and do they make this in a round, barrel shaped version?
Do you know Bob?

I bought a universal from Summit Racing and it worked fine. It has an extra ground wire you must hook up.

Could you provide the part number or a photo of the stamping on it? I am really trying to cut down on my shipping costs right now, so I am trying to find something local. I don't understand how something so seemingly simple is giving me such a headache.
I bought a universal from Summit Racing and it worked fine. It has an extra ground wire you must hook up.

I've not seen a round barrel version but I've used the one I noted and it looks quite good beside the white delay relay.
Why do you need a round one? (It's hip to be square ... :) )

Maybe you broke the ground pin in the socket when you pulled the stock unit? It took a lot to remove it. If its lost its ground reference it wouldn't flash. The ground pin appears to be the one of the three that isn't parallel.

I've not seen a round barrel version but I've used the one I noted and it looks quite good beside the white delay relay.
Same flasher we suggested in the original thread weeks back.
I believe Steven nailed it finally.

my older X has a round clip holder....I now see this flasher with the ground wire will probably work...altho, I'm betting that having the extra ground wire mean it's just got a built in resistance circuit, which kinda defeats the reason for having Leds, as the flasher is putting that power somewhere, but at least the LED bulbs work longer, and are brighter

I tried using the round barrel version with the separate ground wire. I didn't like it (but can't recall WHY I didn't like it :p)
I've been using this one instead. It works really well. The only downside is it doesn't have a "clicker" when the turn signals are blinking.
Can't recall where I purchased it but looks like these guys have it: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tors/fl3-red-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/780/

Attachments

• 20170329_154917.jpg
    20170329_154917.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 186
Yeah, I noticed it was silent, so I put a clicking relay on the back side of my gauge cluster in parallel with the Green Signal Lamp.
The relay was just for the clicking noise. :)

Back