Let's go snorkeling

From what I've noticed, yes there appears to be a couple (few?) designs of them floating around. Plus I've seen pictures of various "one off" versions. We discussed snorkels a little in the 'custom X designs' thread, but it did not get to in depth on the various existing ones - more just about the idea of them in general. It would be great to see a comparison of the styles that have been produced.

Well that and checking the oil
I've always thought the best solution would be to make the snorkel part of the engine lid, and make all of it as a removable (one piece) unit - held on with hood pins or such. If the snorkel design incorporated the engine lid (I think some do and some don't), then that would be easier. Or the snorkel itself could be made removable with Dzus fasteners, making the engine lid function like stock. Others have also made the whole affair hinge to the side (like a Scorpion lid) to allow it to swing out of the way.

I've always thought the best solution would be to make the snorkel part of the engine lid, and make all of it as a removable (one piece) unit - held on with hood pins or such. If the snorkel design incorporated the engine lid (I think some do and some don't), then that would be easier. Or the snorkel itself could be made removable with Dzus fasteners, making the engine lid function like stock. Others have also made the whole affair hinge to the side (like a Scorpion lid) to allow it to swing out of the way.

Or make the lid and snorkel one piece with no hinges and hold the whole thing down with four hood pins. This actually make access to engine much easier.

I find working on the X with both the engine lid and rear trunk lid (if you have the access door between the trunk and bay) removed is MUCH easier. That way you can reach around things without constantly hitting the lids. Just wish I could remove the targa bar as well so I could reach the dizzy access door while standing by the engine bay. ;)

Interesting....I have a wood/fiberglass snorkel that appeared in a pile of random X1/9 parts I got. It’s set up to use fasteners on the engine lid top. I would be far less self-conscious driving the car with it than I am with the ridiculous glitter paint on my 85, and already drive the 85, so there is that. At some point in the future once 1 million other things or more resolved I plan on exploring the snorkel further so this is an interesting thread to follow.

It seems that there are more than one style of snorkel. I've got one that has a different base than the ones pictured above. It's very heavy and does have FAZA cast in.
There may be other designs, but there are 2 popular variant. The original one, that was make for the twincam engine, with breathing in front.
snorkel front breathing.jpg

while the other, the Faza one, was for "regular" x1/9s with carb(s) at the "rear".
snorkel rear breathing.png

Also, there are various solutions for opening the engine cover (the snorkel will hit the targa bar otherwise):
-as suggested by Cosentino, "sliding" the snorkel from the back in "rails"
-making the snorkel removeable with quick fasteners (like Dzus)
-having the engine cover removeable with Hood pins
-modifying the opening of the engine cover to open to the side (like Scorpions)

On my 87 i fitted hood pins on the engine lid hinges. For the back i use the original locking lid mechanism. Please note i retrofitted my 87 with an earlier engine lid and side grilles. The earlier flat lid suits the Faza snorkel much better. So to access the engine i undo the pins and unlock the lid. Then i take the whole thing out in just one unit
received_10157241649810012.jpeg
FB_IMG_1473578604623.jpg

Just went to the garage and took more pics. And its just a one man operation taking it out and putting it back. Please also note i took the raintray out plus drilled holes on it for more flow and less weight.

Attachments

• 20190324_233851.jpg
    20190324_233851.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190324_233910.jpg
    20190324_233910.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190324_233801.jpg
    20190324_233801.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190324_233756.jpg
    20190324_233756.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 92
On my 87 i fitted hood pins on the engine lid hinges. For the back i use the original locking lid mechanism. Please note i retrofitted my 87 with an earlier engine lid and side grilles. The earlier flat lid suits the Faza snorkel much better. So to access the engine i undo the pins and unlock the lid. Then i take the whole thing out in just one unit
View attachment 20739 View attachment 20738
Wow what nice example of X
What type are fender flares, Faza?

Beautiful car and I like the way the rub strips on the door integrate with the flares, much better looking than the stock configuration with the side strips.

There are some neat hood pin type latches that are compact and almost flush with the surface. Not sure how they would work in this case, but they are very clean looking.

Back