Let's go snorkeling

There are some neat hood pin type latches that are compact and almost flush with the surface. Not sure how they would work in this case, but they are very clean looking.
They wont work with this setup. Not much flat surfaces to fit them right. Instead of re-inventing the wheel i worked with what i have.

On my 87 i fitted hood pins on the engine lid hinges. For the back i use the original locking lid mechanism. Please note i retrofitted my 87 with an earlier engine lid and side grilles. The earlier flat lid suits the Faza snorkel much better. So to access the engine i undo the pins and unlock the lid. Then i take the whole thing out in just one unit
View attachment 20739 View attachment 20738

Hi Albert,

What you did to your car is what I had in mind. I got a 74 lid (like you said, look better with the snorkel than the 1500 lids). It was on a race car (no rain tray and even the place where you drilled holes are removed) and already got a hole for a hood pin near the original locking mechanism. So I could but back a hook to use the original opening cable or put a hood pin there.

I had the same tought than you about the hinges with hood pins. Less fabrication and the possibility of putting a stock lid back in (I'm not sure I want to run the snorkel all the time). Did you make something to prevent the hinge to be rotating?

I was under the impression there was enough place to put flush mount hood pins just over the hinges (placed sideway). Maybe I didn't checked correctly. I will look again.

Jokes aside, I tend to disagree.

I rarely see questionable practices here. The work done tends to be solid and not compromised.

Chops busting is understood, you guys are amateurs compared to my buddies on MIRA. Safety and mechanical aspects never compromised. Just meant that I tend to get used parts in good shape over new, listen to old wives tales with a grain of salt and trick stuff like coil overs come once in a lifetime.

It’s true, busting Carl’s chops is a sideline business over at Mira. It’s all in good humor though & god knows I am a fan of his work as a senior member of the Friedman Fiat of the Year club (president, 2016 & 2017).

Now I need to dig out my old wood snorkel & see if I can make it do anything helpful for my 85. That car is silly enough looking so why not?

Yea, sorry Chris but I lost my 2018 inventory rather dramatically, otherwise you would have a Carl based X too.

Chris, that wood snorkel would look totally proper on some cars.

China-wooden-electric-car-cd4.jpg

hey, it is painted....okay, you're gonna get me to dig it out & get a photo....

and, yes, Carl, I know. Like a bad drought on the 2018 crops that was quite a hit for the X1/9 inventory. But for the rest of you on the sidelines here, I have to tell you that my wife's favorite Fiats in the family are the Carl cars. Go figure!

Yes, of course, we had over twenty years of Dodge Caravans (2) and the first one was a turbo!
As empty nesters, finally, we were sad to see the second one puke up it's trans and we sold it for $400 to recoup the cost of the brand new tires.

IMG_0889[1].JPG

My "Hey Look At Me" FAZA snorkel arrived today. I feel so immature and happily excited at the same time.

I could mount it backwards and run the exhaust up through it like modern sports bikes that have the exhaust running just under the seat.

Back