Mac's X...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Apologies, I've been busy with work etc.

I have his car here with a tarp over it, it's doing fine.

I've been thinking about this among other things. The idea of restoring the car is noble, but impractical in my opinion. It would be hard to recoup the investment.

I think a good solution would be an Xweb auction to sell his car to the highest bidder, proceeds to benefit the Pancreatic Cancer center Rose suggested. Any parts not needed could also be sold for that cause. If one person owned it, they could restore it or whatever they see fit, and the car could live on in that way. I can think of several people who could do this.

I also have several boxes of parts, memorabilia and the like. I will photograph and inventory them. Perhaps this weekend? This stuff might be best "auctioned" to Xweb members to similarly support the Cancer research cause.

And there are several hundred dollars left that were donated to help with the memorial, which could either be used for the car, or donated. I'd like folks who contributed to chime in with their thoughts.

This are my best ideas. I'm hoping others will chime in. What are your suggestions? I would prefer to reach a consensus than decide via a majority vote.

Thanks!

Possible combination of ideas - with the donations going to the Research Center, but also a plaque there (or another location) to commerate Mac with the SeaX, Xweb, or another fitting logo. We might even be able to organize an "event" of some kind, with web conferencing so those that are too far away could participate live with those of us that can be there in person. Might be reaching too far with that one. It's just that with something like this are so many ideas running through my head...

I think your idea about what to do with his car is a good one. Whatever the consensus is, I'll back it with you 100%. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of money, but I can (and will) make time...

YES, YES, YES... and what Dave said also...

I know the car a bit and I agree 100%. If it was restored, then what? The money to restore it and then sell it would net a loss... Better to just sell it and forward the money to the cause first.

I'm sure the Pancreatic Cancer Research Center would be happy to find a place for a plaque commemorating our donation in Mac's name.

Secondly, do inventory all the stuff and post it and lets see if there is interest in any of us wanting a piece, or needing a piece of something that was once Mac's... Let's try and keep the things that would contribute to making the car whole... with the car, though.

Thanks again for doing this Greg... and for your trouble... you will have the HONOR and PRIVILEGE of making the FINAL determination (as long as Rose and Leslie agree) YOURSELF, regardless of our input.

I really want the decision (if not the process too) to be a group effort. And to help.

Yes, parts that go with the car will stay with it unless the buyer doesn't want or need them.

But there is a lot more than car parts here. Pics, manuals, tools even.

I never knew Mac, so please tell me if I am out of line. I thought the Idea of this project was to see Mac's dream realised. I am sure that he, like almost all people who embark on car restorations like these, would not have cared for the fact it would never be a money maker.
We are enthusiasts and we do it for the love of the car.
Now if the main objective is to make money for the family/ charity then you are right to sell it now. whatever you decide, congrats and well done on your assistance to rose and family in their time of need.

I never knew Mac, so please tell me if I am out of line. I thought the Idea of this project was to see Mac's dream realised. I am sure that he, like almost all people who embark on car restorations like these, would not have cared for the fact it would never be a money maker.
We are enthusiasts and we do it for the love of the car.
Now if the main objective is to make money for the family/ charity then you are right to sell it now. whatever you decide, congrats and well done on your assistance to rose and family in their time of need.

I have to agree here.....

I am interested in the car

and I would like to make this car my next project.

I'm throwing this idea out there in hopes of a positive response and 'stepping up to the plate'
so to speak with regard to making it happen.

If given the opportunity, I would restore it in the same color and make it what Mac had envisioned,
based on his past posts. But to be clear, I would have to own this car in order to do it. I have the
resources to pull this off and progress would be shared with the XWeb community. Unlike my "trailer
queen" this car would be rebuilt to be driven and shared with the XWeb community.

Regarding the money... (my opinion)
All donations and efforts put forth to date should go to Mac's Mom and Rose's wishes. Nothing should be donated toward the car.
This does not discount what people have done toward that effort, but directs those efforts to a more appropriate place.

Regarding the car... (my thoughts again...)
All parts that were with the car should go with the car and the new owner should decide what to do with them.
The car is "over the edge" so to speak with regard to what most people would consider
a salvageable X, so this effort is without a doubt a labor of love.
Mac's car doesn't have nearly the physical value as it does sentimental. This is the primary reason for my interest in it.

A bold step. If I am able to buy it, I will have it shipped from Seattle to NH.

Thoughts?

Bravo Bob!

I guarantee Mac would want Bob to have MacX.
And I'm sure Mac's Mom Leslie will agree.
After all, the goal is to turn Mac's dream into reality.

Bob brings rare combination of skill, resources,
and most of all, desire to take on the project.
Mac tried to give the car away for a long time.
In fact, he'd done so twice, and only retrived it
when neither recipient was able to follow through.

Bob's offer to ship it east is exceedingly generous,
as is his designating existing funds to be used as Leslie & Rose wish.

Probably the single most generous offer I've ever seen.

For Pete's Sake!

If Bob wants to pay to ship Mac's "X" (shell) all the way to the East Coast and then restore it with his own funds, I'd say that makes him automatically the "high bidder". That's my opinion, anyway. -Doug

I agree too

and support Bob's offer.
Shipping the car is a few hundred Dollars by itself.
If Bob wishes to Buy the car on top of that, it's fine but not quite necessary.
My deepest appreciation to Bob.
Enjoy-

Throwing in the other of the two cents here...

I'm in support of Bob's proposal. I think a good read for anyone wondering what Mac may have been wanting with this car might be the post about it, it's history, Mac's thoughts, etc, in his own words...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/1215...ive+down+memory+lane+(long+with+lots+of+pics)---
The pics haven't worked in a long time, but I'm sure the spirit will shine through.

As I stated before, whatever the consensus turns out to be, I'll back it 100%!

Great!

Throughout this discussion, my fear was that after the initial "wouldn't it be great if...", reality would set in and nothing would ever happen with Mac's car.
So I am very happy that Bob is stepping up and is showing interest in owning and restoring the car.

My proposal is:
1) see if anyone else expresses interest
2a) if so, let the interested parties bid on the car
2b) if not, let Bob buy the car for its actual value: $1
3) include any parts that go with the car
5) the choice of how to restore the car goes to the new owner, Xwebbers have no further say in what happens to the car
6) sell the rest of the parts/books/tools and donate the money as discussed

Excellent Bob

I think this is a wonderful offer from Bob. I know he will bring the car back to a condition that would make Mac proud.

Excellent Bob!

I support anyone who wishes to do this with Mac's car, and I think you would be an excellent choice to do the restore.

I have a bunch of parts squirrelled away so if you need anything, I would be proud to ship it to you at no cost so that I would have a part in this project. I'm sure other x-webbers would do the same.

Pete

DREAM REALIZED

Oh Bob, if you could take the "MacX" and restore it to Ian's dream come true, I would be right on cloud 9 with him! This is such wonderful news, and I hope the others in the group will agree to let you have the car, I think it would be in the best hands possible to realize his dream for it, and also you truly feel the touching sentiment that it means for everyone. I do wish you would accept the funds raised for this project, it would be the right thing to do. I'm just so delighted at the prospect that you can restore the poor little car and will be a happy mom to see the finished product some day, love to you all, Leslie.

I like it

It sounds like a fantastic opportunity for Mac's dream to become reality!

I purchased 3 "Mac" stickers whos extra proceeds were to have gone toward the restoration. I think they should be used to help cover the shipping cost of MacX to Bob. That's just my opinion.

"MacX"

Sounds like a subliminal message for a licence plate suggestion. :wink2: Or Macs X ... I'ans X Etc. (Paid by members) Nice that your checking in Leslie and can see the interest and comraderie this site has evolved into. :grouphug:

plate..

Yes, MacX, Mac'sX or Ian'sX all sound like great choices, I guess the final say would be with Bob if it's his car by that time, but love 'em all! :wink2:

If Bob would like...

...official State of Washington "SEA X19" plate from BlackMacX,
I can send one.
Want to keep the other plate for my tribute to Mac/Xweb.
Which is painting my RaceX project Sunset Orange.

Regarding funds raised, since Leslie encourages Bob to accept,
and since Bob will spend thousands of dollars and hours to
fulfill Mac's dream and the dream of all Xweb,
if Bob can start project NOT buried in cross-country transpo cost,
that would be nice.

Back