Mac's X...

Leslie, if this materializes,

and I truly hope it does, I would like to put the "SEA X19" plate on, exactly as Mac had it. Like his signature, that was his trademark.
Though I would have to register it in NH, I would get the same plate name, but for showing it would be really nice to have the actual plate if that is a possibility.

Also, as mentioned earlier, I would have the car painted the same sunset orange. With that, I would have Mac's signature (that Ricardo has duplicated to sticker form) put onto the front left corner of the hood and directly underneath, words that read (Mac's own words) "The one that started it all" This is 1 part of my vision for restoration.
I also want to put a SEA-X club sticker and a Boeing sticker on the back window in 1 corner. I'm not a fan of stickers but it seems to fit in this case.

As for the donated funds, I personally feel it inappropriate that those funds go into the car. The car I can handle on my own. You and Rose mentioned a worthy cause for the donations and I'd feel a lot better if you two decided something in that direction rather than putting it into the car. It's ultimately your decision but I would not feel right taking any part of those donations.

Greg S please PM me if the decision is made to allow me to purchase and pursue this restoration.

Everyone else who has posted in this thread, thank you so much for your support on this. I really didn't expect such a positive reaction with shipping Mac's car to the east coast, etc.

I'll contact "Transporter Bob" to see if he can transport Mac's X to Bob.
Bob has transported more than one FIAT before. Same guy that transported a 124 Spider to the "Best FIAT Spider" contest some years ago.

Suggestion, since some of the smaller sub-assemblies can be re-built and shipped. What are the possibilities for other Xweb members to help on this project via remote..

Bernice

if Bob can start project NOT buried in cross-country transpo cost,
that would be nice.

Possibilities would be excellent Bernice

This IS a little pre-mature planning of course, as I've not got confirmation from Greg yet and I believe he's still up for making a decision on all of this. He wants to be fair regarding all of this and I'm behind his final decision 100 percent.

I currently have a 21K mile, 1.5L engine in dis-assembled but very good shape.
I'm planning on getting a performance head from Matt Brannon or having a clean stock head "performance built". I would also take a poll of what to put in for fuel delivery. (carb or EFI) Again, all early but I would definitely encourage our XWeb family to participate in any capacity that would make it fun and special. Speaking to you directly, it'd be an honor to have your involvement.

I have most of the parts already. (engine, 5-speed trans, A-arms for the 1500, struts, seats, black carpet, late model wire harness, etc. etc. All in rebuilt condition. Even have a set of 1974 bumpers bought from JJ about 5 years ago. :) Missing are door cards, things like that.
I was looking at the wheels Mac had on the car 15 years ago that I'd like to find, but more on this as and if this project moves forward.

Thanks for asking!

In the mean time, I'll contact Bob S. to inquire about possibilities and cost of transport.

In the X parts bin is a 88' 1500 engine complete and ready for rebuild to ? There are several 5 speed transaxles that are in similar condition. Only time, direction and some resources are required to make then into what is desired. It is possible for me to contribute an entire engine/transaxle to this project. The problem again, would be transporting it to NH.

If we do this, It would be best to have a final goal for Mac's X.. this way, we can focus on where and how to get this done.

Bernice

This IS a little pre-mature planning of course, as I've not got confirmation from Greg yet and I believe he's still up for making a decision on all of this. He wants to be fair regarding all of this and I'm behind his final decision 100 percent.

I currently have a 21K mile, 1.5L engine in dis-assembled but very good shape.
I'm planning on getting a performance head from Matt Brannon or having a clean stock head "performance built". I would also take a poll of what to put in for fuel delivery. (carb or EFI) Again, all early but I would definitely encourage our XWeb family to participate in any capacity that would make it fun and special. Speaking to you directly, it'd be an honor to have your involvement.

I have most of the parts already. (engine, 5-speed trans, A-arms for the 1500, struts, seats, black carpet, late model wire harness, etc. etc. All in rebuilt condition. Even have a set of 1974 bumpers bought from JJ about 5 years ago. :) Missing are door cards, things like that.
I was looking at the wheels Mac had on the car 15 years ago that I'd like to find, but more on this as and if this project moves forward.

Thanks for asking!

Considering Gregory wants this to be a consensus - can we get a poll on this thread? Or do we have to start a new thread to get a poll going?

I am so touched

It is with tearing eyes I read of the birth of this amazing project.
It is so great that a person like Bob Brown would rebuild such a special car. The idea of other members taking it upon themselves to restore various components too is great.
I wonder what can I contribute, considering the 10,000 miles shipment involved.
Needless to say, I support this project whole heartedly.

Enjoy -

Go for it Bob...

If anyone can fulfill his dream, I believe it's within your grasp. Please take this as my vote to have you carry on with the heart and soul of XWeb.

Regards,

Arman

+1 for shipping Mac's X to Bob

Way to go Bob! I'm really glad someone stepped up to the plate. It's just what the situation needed, and there are FEW candidates as worthy as Bob, who seems to have the best of intentions. He's a great representative of our community, and I think he'll realize the hopes of a great majority of us xwebbers with concern to how the resto will be done, and how Mac's dream X will be enjoyed in the future

Sounds so far like we have a fairly clear consensus..especially with Ian's mom's support. Still, we should wait to hear from the majority of of the regular members to help Greg make the decision.

Here Here

I fully agree that if Bob has a big enough heart to take on the MacX project car, all the funds that have been raised should go to transport it back to him, it has my blessing all the way, Leslie.

Leslie has spoken...

...and blesses the funds for XwebForum to cover transpo cost.
Result: Bob accepts no funds, as he wishes.
Result: funds are used as originally intended
to facilitate MacX Resurrection.
Win-win for all.
Perhaps another poll to show this also is Xweb consensus?
Bob, please excuse me if I speak out of turn.
Your preference is of course the deciding factor,
and I shall henceforth be still on the subject.

Mac X inventory (dial up warning)

Spent some time digging through the stuff that came with MacX. Click on pics for larger image.

Obviously the car parts should go with the car according to the new owner's wishes. Some of the memorabilia I'd be glad to hang on to; there are many books and such that I could scan and host over time. Since we don't have a "club house" I'm not sure what else to do with that type of stuff. I'd be happy to hang it in my garage for "safe keeping" without owning. There are 11 total SeaX1/9 stickers that could be auctioned off. The tools in particular I don't want or need, perhaps they could go to someone for a donation to the pancreatic cancer research or Thurston County Animal Services as suggested by Leslie.

Box 1:

Looks like 2 early side engine covers, 2 sets cowl grills, 2 sets side air grills, 2 side grill scoops.

Box 2:

Very good tail lights, 1 front light? and two front light rubbers?, e-brake handle, shifter, air duct, bag of little rubber clips.

Box 3:

Air horns & compressor, 2 unknown brackets, top latch bit, radiator cap, dist. hold-down, front jack point, large rubber wire end cover (starter?), 16 M12x35 wobbly bolts grade 10.9.

Box 4:

2 qts MTL, unknown gears, unknown engine tube, 6 wheel centers, jack strap, 5 new strut mounts, 1 pair Plaia Pivots.

Box 5:

Fiat tape deck, 3 pkgs wire, 3 boxes tab terminals, 6 misc bubble pack connectors, 2 blue side markers, unknown dome light reflector, odds & ends, E.T. nightlight., plastic frogs., bag-o-rags.

Memorabilia and manuals:

Window weatherstrip corners, ramed stuff, X1/9 skateboard, bound and CD manuals, pins, stickers, emblems, owner's manual, club magazines, UK trip memorabilia.
13x7 wheels:

Gauge cluster:

T-shirts and ball caps:
beige (2)XL, (1)M; heather grey (1)M
(1) each taupe and black caps, buckle adjust.

Tools:

SAE combo wrenches: 1, 15/16, 7/8, 13/16, 3/4, 11/16, 5/8, (2)9/16, 1/2, (2)7/16, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4, open 9/32.
SAE 3/8 drive sockets: (2)3/4, 11/16, 5/8, 1/2, 3/8.
SAE 1/2 drive ratchet: 10"
SAE 1/2 drive sockets: 1, 15/16, 7/8, 13/16, 3/4, 11/16, 5/8, 9/16, 1/2, 7/16.
Metric allen head sockets: 12, 6.
Allen key: 4mm.
Metric combos: 17, 15, 14, 13, (2)12, 11, 10.
(2) 8' 3/8 drive ratchets
3/8 extensions: 3", 6"
Crescent wrenches: 8", 6", 5".
Channel locks: 10".
Snips: 8", 4.5".
Vise Grips needle nose: 6.5".
Pipe wrench: 10"
Bronze-O-Matic torch handle, canister MAPP gas.
Magnetic pickup pen type tool.
(4) slotted, (1) phillips screwdrivers.
Scissors.
(1) box replacement utility blades.

I really like the idea of using the funds for the transportation, we'll get to be connected in some small way to the restoration effort.

If it just goes to charity, we'll basically be excluded from feeling we had any part in helping it along.

It's great that Bob is stepping up to do this, we should be allowed to help get the car to him.

...and blesses the funds for XwebForum to cover transpo cost.
Result: Bob accepts no funds, as he wishes.
Result: funds are used as originally intended
to facilitate MacX Resurrection.
Win-win for all.
Perhaps another poll to show this also is Xweb consensus?
Bob, please excuse me if I speak out of turn.
Your preference is of course the deciding factor,
and I shall henceforth be still on the subject.

13x7 steel wheels?

What's the story on those? They look awesome! Would love a set for myself! (or at least 2 for the rear)

Back in 2005...

A good friend of mine had contracted pancreatic cancer. He was on the same lines as Mac. Started a forum, was well loved and just an all around swell guy. He drove this POS light teal green Jeep. It was a real POS but it was his DD and he loved it as well as his kids loved that jeep. They went everywhere in it. As his health declined, we as an offroad group "stole" the jeep and everybody pitched in either monetarily or with sweat and blood to renew "The Egg". It was called that because of the teal body, yellow roll bar and other off color accessories. It looked like an easter egg basically. Anyways, back to the story. We completely restored this jeep to better than new and presented it to Shane. He was on his way out and did his best to seem cheerful. He drove it around the block and said it was his dream to fix it up but never got around to it. He said his time had come, and would ask that the group sell it and donate the proceeds to his wife and kids. Shane died on April 15th, 2006. The church that held his services seated about 500, their were 3x time that outside listening to the eulogies in the cold rain. The Jeep was raffled off and the proceeds of over $12k went to his widow and children.

I think that on the same lines, fixing up MacX would be a fitting tribute to Ian. I for one think Bob is the right guy for the job and I think that I have pretty much alot of the hardware from several stripped X's. I would like to help as well. Maybe make this a NEX mission to help Mac realize his dream.

Story on Mac's Plaia Pivots.....

The pivots in Mac's box are some from the original run of pivots way back when. Mac thought they were a great idea, but couldn't afford to buy a set. I gave them to him.

Ciao,

Yes, please restore Ian's car!

Bob,

I agree with Leslie. It has always been a dream of Ian's to restore his X to its former glory. I know he would be thrilled knowing his beloved car found a home. Would you mind posting pictures of the car as as you work your magic? I think it would be great if we could watch the transformation. I know it will truly be a labor of love, as it's in pretty bad shape. Also, please use the funds raised to transportation cost.

You have no idea how happy you've made me!

Rose

A clarification...

Folks have expressed concerns about donated funds and whether they can be used for shipping MacX to Bob if we proceed with his generous offer.

To make things easier, let's not use those fund for that, we can find other uses. Bob has agreed to this. :grouphug:

Back