Midwest-Bayless - FAZA Flares Now Available

Hey everyone,

We've now have moulds to make full sets of Fiat X1/9 FAZA-Style fender flares.

As some of you know, Al offered several different flare styles in his catalog and on his personal cars.

He offered a set of exact copies of "Stradale-style" rear flares. These look similar to the Prototipo flares
with square box scoop inlet, but were not nearly as wide, and had recesses for mounting with screws.
They are visible in pictures of the "true" X1/9 Stradale that Al had in his collection:

Stradale205.jpg

Sorry, we are still looking to source accurate pieces to reproduce the Stradale-style Front Flares
(wrap-around w/lower driving light pods) and recessed screws mounting as shown.

FAZA however also offered a stylized front flare set, whose forward spats wrapped around and lined up directly
to a stock 74-78-style air dam. These do not have the same recessed screw mounts as the Stradale-style.

FAZA FRONT w/PBS REAR:
faza-front-flares.jpg

With these two FAZA flare designs, we now have Bayless, PBS, and FAZA style flare sets for the X1/9.

We offer all of our flares in complete sets of four, as well as in pairs if you want to mix-and-match styles.

PBS:
fiat-pbs-fender-flares4.jpg

BAYLESS:
bayless-flares.jpg

Flares are a very economical way to cosmetically rehab an X with rusted fender arches. For more information and pricing, click the following link:

See All Midwest-Bayless Fender Flares Here

Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
Trimming is requisite...

Fender flares don't look very nice with skinny tires left in their place. Chances are you're fitting wider wheels and tires to fill out these flares, in which case, the original fender arch needs to be trimmed or else the wider tire will hit the stock arch when the suspension deflects upwards.

We recommend cutting the complete fender arch out, where the contour of the arch begins from the stock body line, around the wheel well.

This is also why we think flares are a great way to rehab an X with rusty arches; - a lot of the sheet metal work is avoided.

For the front, this is simple as there is only a single layer of sheet metal, which is the fender itself.

In the rear, there is an outer fender and an inner liner, so you're cutting through two pieces. When complete, the pieces should be clamped together and seam welded to retain rigidity.

A sawzall and 18tpi metal cutting blade makes this quick work.

-Matt

Last edited:
"Sorry, we are still looking to source accurate pieces to reproduce the Stradale-style Front Flares
(wrap-around w/lower driving light pods) and recessed screws mounting as shown."

Any progress on making the reproduction wrap around with lights?

Also is the decklid spoiler on the red fiat (top Stradale flared) the one available on Midwest's site? The one on the site looks shorter to me.

Also is the decklid spoiler on the red fiat (top Stradale flared) the one available on Midwest's site? The one on the site looks shorter to me.

Not the same.
the FAZA kit decklid was for the trunk cover lid only.
True Stradale I believe used the entire engine/trunk panel lid similar to what is on the Prototipo.

Search Xweb forum with Faza, Prototipo or Stradale as we have posted many nice photos over the years :cool: :italia: :cool:

FAZA deck lid:

Last edited:
I took down the Belgium links the other day because maybe in bad taste since this was Matt's original thunder thread.

Rooster I'd help split the freight and just double up the order!
shouldn't be too heavy but bulky.

MM more info please :)

JJ you're on the left coast :fart:

Thats Messed up.... Buy them and they will come...:)

Seeing we got your attention...
And you have the power.
drill out those rivets on those Faza flares like on Bob T's babyblue photo above and send them to Matt like I did with my Faza kit.
Then he makes the molds and they live on forever in the community :cool:

you're prolly gonna repaint anyway, no?

I can do that. I didnt know he needed a mold no one ever approached me. Is it the front ones or the rear ones?

Someone must have a mold if Bobs car is just like mine...

I can do that. I didnt know he needed a mold no one ever approached me. Is it the front ones or the rear ones?

Someone must have a mold if Bobs car is just like mine...

You should email Matt if you are sincere.
I'm not even sure he still wants to do any more...might not be worth the effort or profitable...but maybe.
I'd be in for a set + think they would be the best seller :cool:

that Seattle Faza X had the early Gen 1 flare (slender) that wrap around to the front air dam. Also matched with the rear flares w/o the side-scoops.

Mine were a later Gen with the fronts that didn't extend out to the front dam + has the rear side-scoops.

I think the Seattle X + Bob's car has the original run Faza flares so there is no mold.
that babyblue was John Soman's before he passed and he had an orginal set.

maybe Albert's .2 will appear soon :)

Matt can chime in if he wants. Last he and I spoke about molds about a year ago he was harping on what a money pit it was. I am thinking of painting the FAZA car this winter. I also have a guy here in Socal that can make a mold but the mold itself can cost upwards of 700 since you need a left and right. It might take an order of 5 or more just to brake even on it. And I have heard that even if you have a mold it is not good for long. I am not sure how many sets you can get before you need another mold. I have the mold for the Street version of the Air damn that Matt sells.

This one.

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=192983&i=255143982

Midwest sells the Race version. Charlie at Serpent Auto owns the Street version. Between Charlie and myself we have 1000 bucks into that mold and have only sold one to LOOKFORJOE. :eyepop:

Not exactly a money maker...:cool:

New moulds....

While I am extremely proud of the glass that we have developed and provide to this point, not many additional new moulds are likely to be in the cards.

We have gotten torched on the whole "everyone is asking for [insert favorite piece here]", so we invest in a mould, announce it, and sell 2 pieces in a year. And all the while the design is nit-picked.

"What do you mean it doesn't have integral hinge points? I wanted reinforced sparring like the original metal version. I was hoping it would have a place to hang my tool belt. I'll buy one when you offer it in carbon fiber along with these other two pieces etc...".

Then there's the "well I can get a glass hood for a 1988 ricer-mobile on-line for $168 + free shipping on eBay, why are you asking $XXX?"

<SIGH>

The snorkel or snorkel/engine cover is a 3-piece mould due to its shape and contour, a bear to make correctly. The mould itself would take 2 months time to make, allowing for the week between layers to kick (cure) correctly and not warp. If it does come out warped, we start all over. And I'd bet we wouldn't sell 4 in a year at the price it would require.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but we will NOT be putting that into production. Ever.

However, period-correct Stradale Front flares, I might be convinced to invest in.

If anyone has a clean set they want to see live on, drop me a line.

-M

While I am extremely proud of the glass that we have developed and provide to this point, not many additional new moulds are likely to be in the cards.

We have gotten torched on the whole "everyone is asking for [insert favorite piece here]", so we invest in a mould, announce it, and sell 2 pieces in a year. And all the while the design is nit-picked.

"What do you mean it doesn't have integral hinge points? I wanted reinforced sparring like the original metal version. I was hoping it would have a place to hang my tool belt. I'll buy one when you offer it in carbon fiber along with these other two pieces etc...".

Then there's the "well I can get a glass hood for a 1988 ricer-mobile on-line for $168 + free shipping on eBay, why are you asking $XXX?"

<SIGH>

The snorkel or snorkel/engine cover is a 3-piece mould due to its shape and contour, a bear to make correctly. The mould itself would take 2 months time to make, allowing for the week between layers to kick (cure) correctly and not warp. If it does come out warped, we start all over. And I'd bet we wouldn't sell 4 in a year at the price it would require.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but we will NOT be putting that into production. Ever.

However, period-correct Stradale Front flares, I might be convinced to invest in.

If anyone has a clean set they want to see live on, drop me a line.

-M

All makes sense (and business sense). I think the functional & fashion is cool on the snorkel for Abarth however, I think its overkill and borderline gaudy on street cars. I think the side faza flares with the air intakes are also pushing it but I know from personal experience they DO increase air to the engine bay and help in keeping things cool.

Back