modern x.. fixed headlights or flip up?

Should a new X have fixed headlights or flip up lights?

• Total voters

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
what do you think? if a new x was build would you like to see fixed headlights or flip up lights?

in the spirit of the x, i think it should have fixed lights because it will be lighter, and less hassle to troubleshoot

however it wouldnt quite look like an x without the flat slant nose look

I don't know if fixed lights would be the modern way to go but I know that if I was to design the X I would not do pop-ups. My 75 will have fixed lights like the prototipo or dallara. I just think they look better.

An X is not an X without Pop-ups

In my opinion anyway.
Part of the character that makes up an X1/9 is the pop-up headlights, the rear (mid) engine and wedge profile.
Anything else isn't an X.

No pop up lights...

This was a solution to a vintage problem; one of how to have good headlights and the wedge nose profile. Another problem they addressed was headlight height.

Today's technology provides many solutions for this that do away with pop up lights, and for many good reasons. Many areas now require DRL or daytime running lamps, which headlights can act as.

I can picture many modern cars that have recessed or flush mounted lights that work as well if not better, and yes less motor actuation is probably better.

As a 'child of the 70's and 80's' all the sporty cars had pop-up headlights so I'm totally down with them. It was basically a law, cool cars had to have pop-up headlights!!!! How did they make 911/930 Porsche Turbo even cooler back in the day? By whipping a 'slant nose' treatment on that mother!

Cool!

porsche930turbo_small.jpg

Cooler! (in fact it's so cool he doesn't even put on a front plate!)

4089099752_8504849a99.jpg

Of course from what I hear the safety-uber-lords in the Euro Common Market deemed pop-up headlights dangerous to pedestrians:rolleyes: and with the stroke of a pen auto companies world wide got rid of them. They're not coming back.

I generally don't like pop ups. I think they give most cars too much of a generic look. The X doesn't really suffer too much from this but pop ups are obsolete and never coming back so fixed its. Now what a modern X has to have is a targa. Unfortunately that seems to be a thing of the past as well.

In my opinion anyway.
Part of the character that makes up an X1/9 is the pop-up headlights, the rear (mid) engine and wedge profile.
Anything else isn't an X.
Ditto
Pop ups are cool, part of the X mystique. I like 'em.

Interesting Morph

Found this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxsWt0yuBoc"]YouTube - X1/9 Morph into the future[/ame]

I like the pop up lights, but this "future" X looks interesting also.

completly agree with you !

X would not be the same without any trouble-maker part.
what would be the fun in owning this car if all would work perfect ?
have you ever thinked that the imperfections makes the things perfect ?

I absolutely agree Bob

I'd add the the Targa roof and "slanted roolbar". (plus your the wedge look, mid-engine placement and engine cover, and pop-ups)

Those five design elements make an X an X to me

strange

Great video and thanks very much for posting. Unfortunately while I like YOU, I don't like the the dream car :)

The morphed X went from classy Italian styling to an over-styled Japanese Ricer.

I'd much prefer a Dallara (without the big arse-end wing) over this morph.

My ultimate hope for Fiat's return would be a modern 850/124/Barchetta/X1/9. Still hold out hope for a new Abarth Spider.

Exactly...

An Elise is a good example of what a more modern X could be. Or, look to what Ferrari is doing. I don't recall any pop-up lights in the F barn lately.

Greg, pop ups are the essense of X1/9

It is the spirit, THE BLING.
Without it the X will be just a Chevy...
They are sortof trademark, like the three portholes on Buick (used to be) like the cat on the Jag or the dog on Macks.
Don't drop the lights, please.
Enjoy

in the spirit of the x, i think it should have fixed lights because it will be lighter, and less hassle to troubleshoot

Haha I am almost in tears over this remark!:mallet: Already dreading issues of the modern X that isnt anywhere near existence!

I think that it would really really need flip up headlights.... and an awesome warranty to attract all of us again! Hahaha

I propose a compromise.

I've seen a couple of pictures of an X with rectangular headlights that pop-up about half of the stock amount. I thought it looked nice.

Regards,

Sorry, but the first porsche is way cooooler looking.

QFT

I've seen a couple of pictures of an X with rectangular headlights that pop-up about half of the stock amount. I thought it looked nice.

Regards,

I also like that look a lot.

I would expect a new X1/9 would have the front end almost identical to the new Stratos
Lancia-Stratos-10.jpg
Very much like a Dallara front end with headlights above instead of below the nose line. Although I don't care much for the headlight shape of that new stratos I do like them more then popups.

I Love everything about the X EXCEPT the pod lights.l I just "like" them. The car loses its lines (IMO) as soon those lights come up.

The Prototipo and Dallara fixed headlight setup is perfect.

QFTI also like that look a lot.I would expect a new X1/9 would have the front end almost identical to the new Stratos
Lancia-Stratos-10.jpg
Very much like a Dallara front end with headlights above instead of below the nose line. Although I don't care much for the headlight shape of that new stratos I do like them more then popups.

Exactly. The Stratos is an excellent example of a an update done correctly. It would be very easy to do the same to the X. Pop ups are problematic, overweight, and aero inefficient.

Back