modern x.. fixed headlights or flip up?

Should a new X have fixed headlights or flip up lights?

• Total voters
Pop ups are problematic, overweight, and aero inefficient.

well said...the extra weight and complications have been mentioned but the negative effect to aerodynamics has to be significant at speed, especially combined with the way the air that flows through the radiator and into (might as well be) a brick wall and under the car, fixed headlights could have quite a beneficial effect to fast travelling X1/9's.

I know I've seen many fixed headlight kits for corvettes, rx7's, 240sx's etc that list one of their main bennys as reduced drag...does anyone have any comparative info on pop-up's vs "aero fixed" in a wind tunnel??

that being said...I woldn't give a HOOT what they used I'd be so stoked they were making a new X1/9 it wouldn't matter!

For me, this whole vote was a mixed bag. I actually voted against the lights, but I love 'em. In many ways they're part of what makes the X what it is. BUT, I think there may be certain legalities at the present time, then there are the other issues brought up with weight and reliability.

As far as the aerodynamics, they DO make a difference. For better or worse and at what degree I have no idea. I have NO hard numbers to back it up, but I remember listening to the difference in the sound of the air coming over the nose at 70mph when the lights would come up. First time it happened, I had to drop the lights to make sure I wasn't hearing things. I ended up playing with the lights for about 5 or 10 minutes while going down the freeway at about 15 over the limit. That was back in the late '80s when there was almost no traffic on the south end of WA-167 - and no cops, either. I also remember a different difference (I can't think of a better way to put that) when cornering at speed with the lights up versus down. I didn't play with the lights then, but I did take that corner at the same speed (again about 70) multiple times with the lights up and then down and then up. And then I took my friend's X through there. We could get his to have one light up and one down (and then switch them) if we played with the high-beam lever when turning the lights on. The sound was different depending on which light was up.

I'm not saying that pop-ups on a new X (if we ever get one) would be bad, but I just don't see it happening...

If they were to remake the X1/9 it would have to have pop ups,
Now I think a good feature for recognition of the original would be to have an extra switch position where just one light pops up so you can feel a bit nostalgic!!
Always made me grumble as you only find out there is a problem at night when you can't see to fix it.....

Why did they make them pop up style in the first place? Surely it was vastly more expensive vs. fixed. I know headlight height is a legal issue. When they designed the Bugeye Sprite they were going for pop ups but scrapped it for cost savings, then had to mount them like they did so they were high enough, or so I read. I always assumed they did pop ups because at the time they provoked a sense of sports car coolness and to integrate fixed into the design was tough. Maybe that's not such the case anymore. Lots of low cost cars had them in the past too. Miatas and Fieros and so forth. Why did Mazda revert to fixed in '99 on the Miata?
1959bugeyesprite082106.jpg

Pop ups were a great way to maintain a car's shape since designers were limited to primarily large round lights. And it was illegal in many places to cover the light with glass or plastic.

what do you think? if a new x was build would you like to see fixed headlights or flip up lights?

in the spirit of the x, i think it should have fixed lights because it will be lighter, and less hassle to troubleshoot

however it wouldnt quite look like an x without the flat slant nose look

I love pop-up headlights. I think it is a shame that these have all but disappeared.

Back