My Fiberglass Project

fiberglass work

I have a friend working on a "tribute car" modeled after the Buggati 57SC Atlantic. He has a website up about the project with lots of in-progress photos showing his approach to the pattern-making/mold-making and laying up of the fiberglass parts. I expect you'll find a lot of interesting and potentially useful techniques and ideas, if you care to take a look. You'll find it here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~trumpetb/57SC/

Brian

It looks like this one could work fine, maybe covered with carpet/fabric cut square and over hanging a bit to fill gaps and mission accomplished….well, not quite, you'll have to knock out a couple dozen more as Christmas presents for your xweb brethren.:)

It's looking good. Maybe you can create a molded wire mush cover for the amp?

I wonder how hard it is to find matching "carpet." How will it be secured, or does it sort of fit in place without?

I have a friend working on a "tribute car" modeled after the Buggati 57SC Atlantic. He has a website up about the project with lots of in-progress photos showing his approach to the pattern-making/mold-making and laying up of the fiberglass parts. I expect you'll find a lot of interesting and potentially useful techniques and ideas, if you care to take a look. You'll find it here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~trumpetb/57SC/

Brian

That's amazing. I hope he gets it done. Let us know if he does!

It looks like this one could work fine, maybe covered with carpet/fabric cut square and over hanging a bit to fill gaps and mission accomplished….well, not quite, you'll have to knock out a couple dozen more as Christmas presents for your xweb brethren.:)

Sure, I could pop out a few. Easy enough to fill the hole for the amp for those who don't have one there...or to cut-to-fit for different sizes/placement. Not for Christmas though...I need a break from working with this material - toxic stuff! That and I'll be out of the country through mid-January.

It's looking good. Maybe you can create a molded wire mush cover for the amp?

I wonder how hard it is to find matching "carpet." How will it be secured, or does it sort of fit in place without?

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking of maybe a sheet of Lexan with holes drilled in it? Something along those lines...a nice tinted sheet would look really cool.

Ricardo gave me a great suggestion for fitting fabric on there, using a mat first, then putting the fabric on top. What I actually ended up doing was popping another one of these out using the initial product as the mold to get that smooth finish on the top. I'm going to try having one with a carpeted finish, and one a smooth matte black.

Brian

Incredible!!!

use plexi to cover the amp,, make some venting at the top of the fiberglass part to let out the amps heat. and attach the pleci with velcro from behind for easy removal.. place a colored led at the edge of the plexi,, Mask off a design on the plexi and sand / bead blast it to create that neat glowing design in the plexi.

thats my suggestion.

Back