My "New" 74' exxe

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
After years of hounding George (the original owner) about selling me his 1974 x1/9.. if finally happened today.

George is the original owner of this 74', took delivery in the port of Oakland in July 1974 and has owned it since today. His introduction to the X happened when he was working at Tektronix as a field engineer installing a test system for a customer in Milan. One of guys at that company in Milan had a 1973 x1/9 and they went for a "drive". This drive was what sold George on purchasing one back in 1974. The car was on a three month back order.. when the FIAT dealer contacted George they received a shipment of three x1/9, he went to the POE to have a look. All thee were red, two had black interior, one had a tan interior.. which was the X George purchased...

Some years ago, George had the car painted in the same OE color and re-built the interior and seats..

Overall the car is very much a time capsule, original in every detail.

I now have a bit of a delima... most here know my vigor for modifying x1/9 as a personalized statement.. with this X, I'm not so sure. This X is so well preserved and original that I'm have a difficult time thinking of modifying it. This X runs well, engine is tight, transaxle shifts good. but the suspension bushings are tired, needs brakes and most of the usual wear out items..

Do I drop in a new drive line or ??? I have some serious thinking to do on this.

As for the 88' it's going to one of our LeMons race team members where it will be turned into a track day car, nice track day car..

This is the first 74' that I have owned and in many ways most true to the original design and concept of the X by Bertone.

:huh:

sideviewq.jpg

lhfront.jpg

rearr.jpg

dashr.jpg

georgenici743182010sm.jpg

Bernice

Lucky Lady

Hi Bernice,

That is a very nice looking ride. No need to rush into a drive line swap, the car will be with you for a while I am sure. Freshen up the suspension, etc and see how it feels. If it leaves you wanting, go get a K20 and get crackin' on the swap. :)

Also, you might want to check out this thread on some problem with the 74 rear structure.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/7475/

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I figure you will understand what they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernice,

I know the perfect way to end your dilema :) but I don't think you will be handing over the keys anytime soon... :(

The car looks even better than you described! Good stuff.

Hi Bernice, what a lovely car! If it were me, I wouldn't touch a thing other than repair the faulty items.

My moto is, it you have to cut, bend or mangle it will not be original anymore.

It's a lovely, unmolested original car. If it was mine I would fix what's wrong and not mess with it otherwise. I think it would be a nice contrast to have both a highly modified car and an original. It's a real peach, just perfect for a sunny Sunday - let it be!

There is no Honda K20 for this car....ever.....

I might install the 1500cc/5speed from the yellow 88' in this X, up grade the brakes and fix all the usual problem areas, and that would be it.. This X is simply too nice to do anything more..

This 74' has not developed cracks in the upper cross member...yet. Regardless, I know this is a problem and will address it in some way in the near future. 74's can also develop cracks in the lower cross member too.

Hi Bernice,

That is a very nice looking ride. No need to rush into a drive line swap, the car will be with you for a while I am sure. Freshen up the suspension, etc and see how it feels. If it leaves you wanting, go get a K20 and get crackin' on the swap. :)

Also, you might want to check out this thread on some problem with the 74 rear structure.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/7475/

I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I figure you will understand what they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

That truly is a gorgeous X Bernice. I'm happy for you, that is quite the find. I agree with the others, I'd keep it as original as possible. I hope you have many years of enjoyment together.

Michael

Simply awesome!

dash looks amazing :)

Whatever you decide that Exxie couldn't be in better hands that's for sure!

Good to be you Bernice~! Congrats on the score :thumbsup:

I too

think it should be left alone other than fix bad broken or warn parts.that is one beautiful car.

Over the years, many others had tried to talk George to sell them this 74' X...

I suspect George was only willing to sell this X to a specific owner who not only appreciated it, but was able to care for it properly. For what ever reason, he decided I was the one..

Spent a little time driving the X after picking it up and this X seems to really fit me or maybe this X is saying thank you for becoming my next care taker... Of the many x1/9s I have owned over the years, this one seems "special".

Bernice

dash looks amazing :)

Whatever you decide that Exxie couldn't be in better hands that's for sure!

Good to be you Bernice~! Congrats on the score :thumbsup:

I dont see the harm of dropping in a 5 speed and 1500. I drove my 74 bone stock, then i drove my 87. Like night and day. the 87 felt so much more modern. Either way enjoy.

You own it, you should do what you want.

I would get proper wheels, those have the wrong offset and give the car an odd look.

Having said that, I would have no problem with updating to a 1500 and the 5 speed. I would leave the rest of the car as original as possible beyond the maintenance items.

Enjoy it and make the best of it.

A very nice car indeed. Congrats you are very lucky, but you knew that.

That is a very well-preserved '74!

Because it is a "survivor", I agree that extensive modifications would be a real shame. There are plenty of Xs out there in need of being brought back to life. It appears to me that this X already has a life. I would cherish it as it is.

wow, I would look so good going down the road in that color, nice car!

Is that the original style dash, looks more modern than mine?

Ooops.. You threw me off with the line

"Do I drop in a new drive line or ???"

I figured you meant a NEW drive line, since you are always telling how much potential the X chassis has. :)

Heck, dropping in a 1500 or even a 1500/5spd is hardly tampering with the heritage of the car.

There is no Honda K20 for this car....ever.....

I agree, and I would install the later hubs all the way around. It would still look original. Definatly keep the interior all original. I need to get my dash rebuilt, its not bad, just not perfect. I just love the look of the 74 dash and seats. Would be nice to find some original orange carpet.

Hmmmm

Sounds like you've already connected with it's soul. Congrats Bernice:clap: and it's good to know it's with a very appreciative owner. It can always be put back to original any way,, but a good idea to get fully acquainted with it first. :thumbsup:

Back