My "New" 74' exxe

Way too nice to modify

That's a real beauty from what I see in the photos.
Simply needs rejuvenation. I'd keep the motor, the 4-speed, everything. If it were me, I'd change out the ignition to electronic, but that's the extent. What a beautiful car! Lucky lady....

I see the clear plastic plate is missing from your gauge cluster. An easy fix.

Congrat's Bernice!

Wonderful

Great looking car.

Why not make conservative modifications to maintain the original look but still do all the cool stuff you'll be tempted to do anyway. Nothing wrong with an almost time capsule that performs better than stock. Probably more enjoyable that way.

As Papa would say...

...your car, your call.

But since opinion was requested,
I'd have to hop it up just a little.
Having owned about 20 Xs of all persuasions,
IMHO, a stock 1300 is sorta doggy.

Having also daily driven a lotta miles
in variety of tuned 1500s and suspension setups,
taught me some is good, but more isn't always better.
A tuned motor/suspension is great when feelin' frisky.
But a person just wants get to destination,
less obtrusive is more pleasant. IMHO

Ulix and I once drag raced his high winding hotrod 1300
against my mildly tweeked 1500.
Dead nuts on from a rolling start.
Ulix car was perfect for being frisky.
My car more sedate.

So...to make informed decision, one has to ask oneself:
"Am I most often frisky, or sedate?"
Answer that, and ye shall find your personal truth.

B, I'm glad you got it!....

Congratulations. I know you have been "negotiating" for the car for some time. And it sounds like you are expected to give a good stewardship to the car.

So, time capsule or mod? :hmm: A 1300 is definitely a different animal than a 1500. The last time we visited, we talked about how the "ultimate" X1/9 to a variety of people sort of distills down in to the same list of elements. That's why I chose a different path, just because I am a contrarian :wacko: and do not follow the crowd. And, I know that you definitely know how to make a 1300 motor sing.

My 74 is one of a kind and I revel in that fact. Have fun!

Ciao,

Thanks Mark..

The engine and transaxle form the yellow 88' will still be with me as the yellow X will get a different engine and transaxle in the process of becoming a track day car. At this point, that 1500 and transaxle is destined for this 74'.... But, the idea of building up a 1600cc "stroker motor" appeals to me since I have never done one and it would be an interesting thing to do.

What is curious, many of us who have owned X1/9 for years seem to have a 74' in their life.

It would be curious to see who here has a 74'

:thumbsup:
Bernice

Congratulations. I know you have been "negotiating" for the car for some time. And it sounds like you are expected to give a good stewardship to the car.

So, time capsule or mod? :hmm: A 1300 is definitely a different animal than a 1500. The last time we visited, we talked about how the "ultimate" X1/9 to a variety of people sort of distills down in to the same list of elements. That's why I chose a different path, just because I am a contrarian :wacko: and do not follow the crowd. And, I know that you definitely know how to make a 1300 motor sing.

My 74 is one of a kind and I revel in that fact. Have fun!

Ciao,

Let me think...

You said... "Overall the car is very much a time capsule, original in every detail."

Original, unmolested '74, complete, great condition and all it needs to be completely original is rims and tires...

I can't ever remember seeing that color RED on a stock '74... but assuming it is indeed correct... it would be a SACRILEGE to modify it in any way.

There are plenty of projects out there that you can modify and have fun with...

Frankly, STOCK and UNMOLESTED is NOT for me... and that is why I stay away from cars like this. I've turned down many before and pointed the seller in the direction of someone that appreciates cars like this.

Please don't mod this car... Sell it to Bob Brown so he can keep it all original and find another if ya have to...

Almost forgot... Congratulations on finally bringing this car home.

Congrats!

Great color! I just love the rear chrome on the taillights and the crescent instruments. I do so wish I never sold my white '74.:cry:
Rolf.

Awesome

Congrats Bernice!

I love the car, but I would agree with Tony in that AFAIK, metallic colors weren't available on the X until 1976. I am only aware of the bright red color on 74s. Any more info on that?

Anyhow, I totally understand your dilemma.
I, too, bought a very original 74 and had to decide what to do with it. I think I ended up with a good compromise, modifying the car heavily in some key areas, but leaving most others very stock.

My interior, for instance, is absolutely stock and I love it that way.
This is the hardest way, however. Constantly compromising, trying to improve performance while keeping originality and streetablility. My suspension, for example, is not a very good compromise. Looks good, but MUCH less comfortable on the street than a stock suspension, and way too soft on the track.

If you swap in a 1500, the magic of the super short stroke 1300 is gone. Period. This engine is part of the original X1/9 feel.
Install a 5-speed? Much different shifter feel - some more character gone. Lowering springs? Out with the amazing comfort that was designed into the original concept, together with the almost unbelievable great handling (with 185/60) considering how much the car leans in corners.

What I've learned is, any modification is never just an improvement. It is always also a compromise. So when you move away from the original design, you give up something while you gain other aspects.

If I had an additional virgin 74, I would keep it stock other than maybe bring the engine to euro spec and optimize the breathing a little. I may even drive around on 145/80 tires, at least some of the time.
The philosophy there being, not trying to get the last bit out of the concept, but to enjoy the character of the X in its purest form.

Isn't it amazing so many 74's have survived?

As a percentage of 74's originally sold, I imagine it's very high in comparison to its contemporaries. Everybody here obviously loves them, congrats. I like Ulix's comments especially - the 1300 had that revvy character the 1500 didn't (and my carbed '80 had no more hp), and 'sport' springs can change your daily life considerably. My own preferences would be to put in an uprated Toyota 4ag and 6spd, get the big brake kit and find some Koni's and CD50's, and leave everything else stock.

As you know, I have a '74.

The high-compression, dual-carb 1500 engine I put in is very fun, but I wouldn't mind a little more power and torque. Perhaps a stroker motor would be enough of an improvement.

Regards,

Big congratulation with your new X Bernice.
Great great looking car.
As a spectator I always find it cool to see an original ’74…so much elegance, so many nice details.
Curious what you will do with it…not an easy decision.

I drove my stock 74 for a bit, then I put on twin webers. It was revey, but I wasnt really moving much. A 1500 with a 5 speed would have made it lot more fun. Either way its a fun car, one way is just more fun.

I would suggest BWM, headlight relay, and any maintenance that needs to be done so it can be a reliable car. Drive it for awhile and only make changes that can be easily returned back to stock. If you make major changes keep it from the same time period. My two cents. We all know what ever you do will be first rate.

Very clean looking X...congratulations.

How about "period mods"... like stroking the 1300 (63.9 or 67.4 crank into the 1300 block) and fitting five speed internals into the four speed casing.

SteveC

Nice find...

If I were you I would keep it original, but install a 1300 Euro cam / head / carb. That way you will have a nice 75 bhp which is usable right up to 7000 rpm (same hp as a US 1500 FI).

Also, you should loose that big antenna up the front.

Cheers,
Dom.

Hi Bernice;
Congratulations on this awesome 74 you just got.If it were me i`ll leave it as it is with its stock 1300.Only change would be to get some nice italian period correct wheels(Campys,CD`s etc)
I would only change the engine if it were to be a daily driver and you were gonna put lots of mileage on it.But you can still switch to the 1500 engine and tranny and keep its original 1300 just in case you wanna put it back together as it came from the factory.
Now go and start enjoying it!!!,.......nice!!:thumbsup:

Back