My New project - 76 128

IMG_5920.jpeg
IMG_5919.jpeg
IMG_5918.jpeg
One more coat and time to put this thing back together

Looking good! Just a note about color though, I like to avoid gloss black in the engine bay as it makes it hard to see when something's leaking...😧

I have gone through several iterations of colors for engine bays....all of them from Rustoleum. As noted, gloss black makes it hard to actually see what's happening in the engine bay. Semi gloss works better but if you really want to check for leaks and find the odd bolt or nut you dropped, then gray is the best way to go.

Pea soup green was obviously a very popular color for Fiat back in the day but I'm not a fan of it and thankfully they never painted their sports cars that color except for the 124 coupe. I have seen Ralph's car and the blue is actually quite pleasing but he will have a hard time matching it when he has to paint the giant wheel flares he will eventually put on it.

Really not too bad, I removed all the old tar and the stuff is pretty thin, 80mil. I used one box of
KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening and I have one sheet left over.

Don't forget the rear deck behind the top of the rear seat. This will be the quietest 128 on the planet. Don't forget to put open stack dual carbs and a loud exhaust on it.

Really not too bad, I removed all the old tar and the stuff is pretty thin, 80mil. I used one box of
KILMAT 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening and I have one sheet left over.
Nice work! When I stripped the insulation out of my Rally I weighed 26.0 lbs for insulation (upper firewall 1.6 lbs, lower firewall 7.8 lbs, front floor 10.0 lbs, rear floor 6.6 lbs). There were two types of insulation, the "waffle" pattern tar-backed stuff on the dash and floor, which rough area measurements gave an average of 0.96 lb/ft^2 and the smooth tar-backed stuff on the firewall was about 0.62 lb/ft^2.

The tar sound deadening on the floor was another 7.3 lbs. I didn't think to measure it before chipping it out to calc an areal density on that stuff.

I templated and recreated all the firewall & dash insulation and heater foam seals. I held off on the sound deadening until I deal with the rusty floors. The best part is having a usable glovebox area again - no more insulation sagging into the compartment!

2016-08-01 128 Rally Firewall Insulation 009.JPG

Back