My turn for a little show-off. New Interior & engine area upgradees

ChrisInAk

Waiting for spring
Cleaned up the engine compartment, added a K&N filter, stainless coolant tank, a replacement plenum shield from Matt and general cleanup...

Engine.jpg

And the big one- picked up a set of Henk's leather seats and door panels...

The original vinyl and cloth seats...
Old.jpg

And the new leather...
New.jpg

NewWide.jpg

Took a little getting them fitted and replaced, but I'm plenty happy with the results. Feels great sliding into these seats!

I took a bunch of shots during the re-fit, but we'll save those for another post. :wink2:

Now, if I can get a shifter gaitor, I'd be all sorts of happy! :laugh:

Very nice Chris!

Those are tasteful enhancements that really upgrade the look of the interior. Nice job.

BTW, if you're wanting some warm weather I'll trade you for some cool. 94F here the other day.

///Mike

Lookin' good

Looking very good Chris. :woot:

That is a real big improvement on the seats. Did you do anything to direct the water drainage away from your K&N? IIRC, the rain tray has an output hole right in that area.

Did you do anything to direct the water drainage away from your K&N? IIRC, the rain tray has an output hole right in that area.

Good catch Jim. The drain hole is visible in the pic.

I like how Rudy used an elbow and mounted his vertically. Probably helped keep it dryer and got it closer to the side vent.

I'm not usually a fan of K&N filters but I gotta say I'm contemplating one to replace the stock canister with the intake on the engine (hot air) side.

///Mike

Thanks for the nods, guys. I preferred the less flashy changes myself, just for my own tastes.

Looking very good Chris. :woot:

That is a real big improvement on the seats. Did you do anything to direct the water drainage away from your K&N? IIRC, the rain tray has an output hole right in that area.

Umm, nope.
Looking at it, yeah, there is a big old drain hole there I never noticed before. Hmm. :hmm: I'm open for ideas, but since I don't run her in the rain, I'm not too worried about it.

Mike- Anytime you wanna make a temp swap, I'm all in !:laugh:

Using an elbow also lets you hear the intake roar!
I have driven a car so equipped and it was a nice touch!

Very nice done!

Maybe if you attach a little square of aluminum sheet on the rain tray, paint it on black and
fold down a little bit on both sides maybe can help.

very nice!

extrasmallrbrbadgezv7.jpg

Ricardo
X19/79

Hey Ulix...

Why does the elbow make the intake noise more audible?

I see from your sig line that you got your 1600 together. Have you posted details somewhere? How do you like it?

///Mike

Oh ///Mike...

Yur not gonna BELIEVE the IMPROVEMENT that you can actually FEEL with a K&N.

If you keep the stock cannister... do drill several large holes around the perimeter so that air can freely enter. We keep the stock cans in CA because of Smog Laws and the inspector is unlikely to note the holes... but can and will fail the car with a K&N exposed.

If this is not a problem for you... then ditch the can and if you want to keep the elbow, then just add a cone filter. My preference is to NOT add the restriction of another turn...

You may not run in the rain,

but I bet you wash the car occassionally. :)

I have that same K&N and never mounted it because I have been too lazy to figure out what to do. You were supposed to give me the answer!!

Maybe the maintaining the elbow is the answer.

Nice work Chris,

Feels good, doesn't it? :dance: Adding the personal touch to your ride...
Always a good feeling, both inside and out. Looks like an Art M. custom shift knob too. (?)

I still run a stock air canister with the elbows and all, but I use KN filter inside for a bit free'r air flow. I prefer the quiet over the power, but to a point.

She looks good!

Actually, it's one of Ed's shifters, and I'm still loving it! -

shifter2.jpg

but I bet you wash the car occassionally. :)

Well that arguement went straight out the window! :laugh:

I'm thinking Ricardo's idea about mounting a divert plate on the bottom of the rain tray has some merit. Think I may try that.

looks great

The interior black is an excellent compliment to your x exterior colour, which I love :shock2:

Air temperature?

... then ditch the can and if you want to keep the elbow, then just add a cone filter. My preference is to NOT add the restriction of another turn...

A big drawback of the exposed K&N is always the air temperature of the intake air. How does the temperature compare between a filter at the AFM and one lower with an elbow? Leaving the elbow in puts the filter closer to the side intake, so I'd think you'd get cooler air. Maybe even add a piece of tube to bring it even lower? What's better straighter tubes or colder air? Does it even matter?:hmm:

Last edited:
Beautiful car!

Those seats look wonderful and look more comfortable than X seats normally do. Dare I say, sexy? Was the camera lens coated in vaseline like they do for Olivia Newton-John?

Great

The overall color and finish of the car are very good in the modern context. Really good example of the timelessness of this design. Love the seats, great job. The plenum cover is likely "Fiat Suppression" even though your block likely says "Lancia" on it as my 86' did looking in at it from the rear boot.

Hope the K & N works well with the increased breathing, should give you more 'bwah' in your engine note anyway.

Back