My Vdub radiator install

I got that, I was just hoping to buy it locally rather than online. I get all my parts * wholesale. The Advance Auto PN doesn't correspond to any of the vendor #'s, which is why I was hoping you might know what it was actually intended for. :sigh:

Rad & bleed valve are already on the way :grin:

Dang, why didn't I find that?

Many thanks, that'll do the trick! :grin:

for future reference..

":I used a 1990 Dodge Daytona non-turbo 2.5L lower radiator hose for a reference.
The part numbers are:
NAPA NBH 7974
Gates 21263
Dayco 71075 (same as advance auto or Autozone)
Good Year 61143
AC Delco 26077X"

Another question - in the list you describe a 1.25" & 1.5" coupler, but in the body of the test you said you used a 2.5x5" coupler for the rear hose?

Also, if I cut out the "wiggle" in the hose, I will lose about 3" overall length, is that correct?

nice catch

it should say 1.50x5
on the long hose in pitcher 10 don't cut out all of the "wiggle" only 2 inches if your still not sure wait till the new radiator is installed in the car cut the hose in half put one on end the radiator one end on the tube coming from under the car they will over lap trim a little off each hose until the two ends meet.

another quick Q

Did you note the dimensions of the L bracket? Just trying to save going back & forth to the hardware store.. :grin:

sorry

they are 5/8 x 2 and you will need do some trimming and re drill new holes there is no measuring for that just line it up make a mark and go for it.

Thanks!

Took it apart this afternoon - and noted a couple of issues...

1) I have to fabricate supports for the AC condensor.

2) The AC lines interfere with the RAD fitment due to the additional width.

3)Rad didn't seem to want to fit up into the space between the frame rails - the bolt head from the drilled & tapped original vent sticks out too far. I'll have to try in the AM when I have more time & light.

4) Rad ports are smaller than the Fiat ones - the hoses are loose probably 1.25" instead of 1.5".

IMG_7303.jpg
X19_0834.jpg

The core of the old one really doesn't look bad, but it's so heavy!

X19_0832.jpg

The fan I had around which I thought was 12", is actually 14" - I'll have to see if I can still fit it OK with a little overlap.

X19_0846.jpg

Last edited:
Radiator performance

OK - so now that we've got the how-to out of the way - Great job everybody! I've got a story to tell...

I put the smaller version of the VW radiator in my 1300 racecar without a fan and I changed the plumbing to PBS style but w/o a thermostat. Basically, since I don't have a heater core, I added a header tank and fill the radiator from the bottom.

I'm in Phoenix AZ so we are at the end of our racing season. I ran the last two dates in May with the new radiator. The last time was Memorial Day in Willcox, AZ (Inde Motorsports Ranch - cool.)

After the radiator change, I idled the car on the grid for about 15 minutes in 80 degree weather and got to about 140 - as soon as we started to move, the temperature dropped to 110! I pulled in the pits and could lay my hand on the motor! I had to verify that temp with my infrared thermometer because I didn't trust my gauge. So I started taping the grill trying to get the temps up.

Long story short? In Willcox at about 90 degrees, I ran 7 times - 20 minutes each session - and never touched 180 with the grill completely covered with tape! I do have about 1.5 inches of radiator exposed below the grill and an enhanced front spoiler but, still...

The cooling capacity of these radiators is remarkable - now I can think about one of those sexy new oil/water heat exchangers.

Vdub rad testimonial

WOW Dale that's impressive

well let me tell you about my experience before the vdub rad mod I performed some other mods in effort to remove heat from both the radiator and the engine bay first I did the rain tray removal mod on the engine cover what I don't like about that mod is not only did it not help much any time it rains I was taking a chance of ruining electrical components . the other mod I had done was front hood grill cut outs ( Abarth style ) I like the look but I wanted to vent heat from the radiator compartment so I cut hols in the radiator box too .it worked ok but if I stowed the top in the frunk the hols got covered. so I got tired of it these mods not helping much and I want my cooling temps down so I went for it and changed the stock rad to the vdub rad .the first 90 plus degree day in Chicago was my test. for this test I put the rain tray back on the engine cover and covered up the hols I had made in the rad box I drove my car for thee hours in 96 degree out side air temp my cars engine temp barely got over 200 even in heavy traffic. wear before the mod in traffic even on an 80 degree day the cars temp would go up to 220 the fan's I used to have two would kick on and bring it down but not for long.I love this mod and I'm glade I did it.:dance2:

Cross linking from another, more recent thread on this subject.

Brody's old VW Scirocco radiator thread from the Xweb 1.0 archives

Some possible hoses for at least one version of the mod (from the FFcars forum):
Upper Radiator Hose Update
After doing some research (Thanks Greg M) I came up with the following part numbers for the E71075 Advance Auto hose.
I used a 1990 Dodge Daytona non-turbo 2.5L lower radiator hose for a reference.
The part numbers are:
NAPA NBH 7974
Gates 21263
Dayco 71075 (same as advance auto or Autozone)
Good Year 61143
AC Delco 26077X
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=E71075

And a PDF of the requisite parts of the thread lest the pics disappear

Attachments

• Scirocco Radiator Mod.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
Back