My X1/9 ownership conundrum

I daily drove an x1/9 off and on for several years. The X is my all time favorite car... I recommend keeping it and work on getting a garage. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some beater for a second car, tho.

I daily drove an x1/9 off and on for several years. The X is my all time favorite car... I recommend keeping it and work on getting a garage. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some beater for a second car, tho.

Not to derail the topic, but I'm assuming that you have a 4C judging by your profile pic.

What's your honest opinion of it? How does it compare to the X (if at all?)

Not to derail the topic, but I'm assuming that you have a 4C judging by your profile pic.

What's your honest opinion of it? How does it compare to the X (if at all?)
Yep! It's loud, uncomfortable, poorly equipped, and amazing to drive. I love it!

In some aspects it is extremely modern and others it feels more like a 1980's supercar. I think it's the closest thing to a real sports car that you can buy off a showroom floor currently. Only thing it's lacking is a stick, but the DCT is great for performance.

Yep! It's loud, uncomfortable, poorly equipped, and amazing to drive. I love it!

In some aspects it is extremely modern and others it feels more like a 1980's supercar. I think it's the closest thing to a real sports car that you can buy off a showroom floor currently. Only thing it's lacking is a stick, but the DCT is great for performance.

How much different is the DCT than driving a stick? Do you find yourself annoyed at not being able to skip gears - or not being able to throw in the clutch and coast to a stop? I've been toying with the idea of buying a 4C, but this has been my largest reservation.

How much different is the DCT than driving a stick? Do you find yourself annoyed at not being able to skip gears - or not being able to throw in the clutch and coast to a stop?
For casual everyday driving it is a bit annoying to not be able to do that, but you get used to it. It's a lot of fun to hammer through the gears with the paddles.

I agree with "drive what you like".
Years ago I was struck by a car while standing on the side of a highway.
As I lay on my back, taking mental inventory of my injuries, and realizing I was still alive, I had two thoughts;
1) Why didn't I have that piece of pie with dinner?
2) I'm going to buy that 911 I was looking at.
I may be 20lbs heavier than I was on that evening, but I have never again compromised on anything I rode or drove if it were within my means.
Life's short. Drive to please yourself.

Last edited:
The X1/9 turns out to be one of the most stable, composed and comfortable rides at high speeds that I have ever driven if:
1) I didn’t need to wear earplugs
2) I could use the heater

I test drove a manual Honda Fit and a Fiat 500 Abarth. The Fit seems like a very good car and fun to zip around in but the seat is comfortable and there are weird blind spots from the front pillars. The Abarth was cool and sounded amazing but I felt like I was driving a weeble-wobble. The X1/9 is beginning to spoil me is surprising ways. Although not stoked on losing my hearing.

1) Not everyone likes to be chased by a large sewing machine (that's what an X sounds like at speed).
2) X heaters, like all Fiat heaters, work incredibly well so I'll assume his heater is not working.

The driving experience of any classic car is going to be different than that of a modern car. Might as well compare flying in a WW1 vintage biplane to a modern airliner, one is probably an amazing flying experience and the other gets you to where you want to go with minimal hassle.

it’s more of a drone frequency that resonates with the car shell that kills the eardrums. If I could solve that I would say it is the nicest ride I’ve had in terms of long distance highway cruising. After driving 4 hours my spine and legs felt great, only my ears didn’t.
Taking it all in, it isn’t comfortable but that is only because the strain on the ears and having to bundle up in the snowy regions because I need to fix a leak in the heating system. I was just surprised how nice the ride quality and spine comfort is.

Last edited:
I love the 4C. One of the selling points was it's low weight, with the carbon fiber chassis and minimal interior, but Alfa never listed it's official weight. When you try to Google it, you get conflicting numbers. I watched a 1 hour show about the 4C, I think it was on the Discovery Channel, and they said the weight was 2,600 lbs. (quite portly). Wikipedia has various listings:
895 kg (1,973 lb) (dry)
940 kg (2,072 lb) Spider (dry)
1,050 kg (2,315 lb) (dry) (USA)
1,060 kg (2,337 lb) Spider (dry) (USA)

The Car Guide lists the weight as 2,465 lbs.
Car and Driver lists the weight as 2,465 lbs. also.
Jalopnik lists the weight as 2,495.

I know the U.S. version is heavier with EPA mandated stuff. DanB, did you ever find out what the official weight is for the U.S. version?

it’s more of a drone frequency that resonates with the car shell that kills the eardrums. If I could solve that I would say it is the nicest ride I’ve had in terms of long distance highway cruising. After driving 4 hours my spine and legs felt great, only my ears didn’t.
Taking it all in, it isn’t comfortable but that is only because the strain on the ears and having to bundle up in the snowy regions because I need to fix a leak in the heating system. I was just surprised how nice the ride quality and spine comfort is.

Need to take care of the exhaust. The stock system has no drone. Someone has installed a (cheap) or oversize/straight through muffler that isn't doing it's job.

Need to take care of the exhaust. The stock system has no drone. Someone has installed a (cheap) or oversize/straight through muffler that isn't doing it's job.

I think it is a stock exhaust. The resonating frequency has been reduced some by tightening up the exhaust manifold (was missing a nut and a few were loose) as well as by welding the crack in the cat. The drone is most intense when I let my foot off the gas from anywhere around 3500-4200 rpms but it’s also there on acceleration.
I wonder if it is connected to a raspiness I hear when I am driving and I take my foot off the gas. Would that be a gear box or an engine noise?

I think it is a stock exhaust. The resonating frequency has been reduced some by tightening up the exhaust manifold (was missing a nut and a few were loose) as well as by welding the crack in the cat. The drone is most intense when I let my foot off the gas from anywhere around 3500-4200 rpms but it’s also there on acceleration.
I wonder if it is connected to a raspiness I hear when I am driving and I take my foot off the gas. Would that be a gear box or an engine noise?

Still shouldn't drone if it's the stock intact exhaust. Perhaps it has been hollowed out, or the baffles have just rotted away. Either way, a good working stock exhaust will not drone as you describe, that is indicative of a modified system.

Maybe you can take a short video so we can hear it. So much of this is subjective.

It may not be a classic exhaust drone. It may be related to an engine or transmission vibration for all I know. I found that it is hard to capture on video, I think it is a lower frequency than the phone mic can pick up and there is so much wind and road noise. I took a few videos on my trip but I was wearing acoustic ear plugs and wasn’t trying to zero in on it. Will take some more and figure out how to get them up here.
It is pretty clear when it hits the frequency because the cabin and roof seem to magnify it. Not nearly as bad when the roof is off.

Here is a link to a video I took a few weeks back. Wasn’t paying much attention to my lines because of holding the camera. Will try to get a video that better isolates the noise I’m talking about. A lower speed and smoother road.

Does sound odd and you have some unusual motion in the car as you go over bumps with some strange metallic noises you shouldn’t really have.

I suspect your exhaust has some adjustments to it by a past owner. Have you checked the offset of your rear motor mount to the cross member? Your right inner CV joint may be contacting the cross member, there should be about a pencil width from the CV to the crossmember surface. Is any other part of the exhaust system contacting the car structure?

There are lots of owners out in CA. Have you tried to get together with someone knowledgable to have another set of eyes on your X? That video may be misleading, but it seems your X may have lots of wear on it.

If I were there I would be examining the condition or your struts, strut top mounts, bearings, CV joints, etc etc etc

There are lots of owners out in CA. Have you tried to get together with someone knowledgable to have another set of eyes on your X? That video may be misleading, but it seems your X may have lots of wear on it.

If I were there I would be examining the condition or your struts, strut top mounts, bearings, CV joints, etc etc etc

I should really join the local club. I offer an open invitation for anybody in the area or anybody coming through to come by and help me sniff out any problem areas. The mechanic called the suspension “trick” and lowered. I think it might have KYB coilovers. Certainly feels planted and composed at speed. Glad I went out and looked just now, found this:
A928CA55-C40F-45B3-ACC6-FA74B95A1580.jpeg

As luck would have it I do have a couple boots and one cv joint.

Attachments

• C4F921A0-DFCC-40F2-A7A2-036C2917277E.jpeg
    C4F921A0-DFCC-40F2-A7A2-036C2917277E.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Does sound odd and you have some unusual motion in the car as you go over bumps with some strange metallic noises you shouldn’t really have.

I suspect your exhaust has some adjustments to it by a past owner. Have you checked the offset of your rear motor mount to the cross member? Your right inner CV joint may be contacting the cross member, there should be about a pencil width from the CV to the crossmember surface. Is any other part of the exhaust system contacting the car structure?

Thanks for the suggestion I will do my best to check.

Back