Need some "X" PR Help!

I tink they got the point!

NICE :cool: Sunbeam :laugh:

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Okay, votes have been heard.

David S. Wallens wrote: Okay, votes have been heard = "We are not interested, go away."

Honestly folks, better to leave CMS alone, they have their audience and are less than interested in the X. There really is no point to pester them as their mind is made up and you're only going to cause bad vibes by pursuing this further with them. :mallet:

They have every right do as their editorial staff chooses.

It's like food, different food for differnt folks. If the folks at CMS likes warm beer, beef wellington and semi-raw bacon, they might not like pasta, Chianti or gelato... it's that simple. :gong:

NICE :cool: Sunbeam :laugh:

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
Okay, votes have been heard.

Give it six months...

and I'm betting we at least wind up with some spagetti, if not actual tortellini. My guess is that within the next half year we'll see a Fiat project of some kind. I do HOPE it will be an X though. I just don't think he'd say "Votes have been heard" if he didn't intend to respond in some affirmative way to the request. He could have just as easily said "I'll take it under advisement..." or "You've made your point, and we'll certainly keep it in mind," or, if he wanted to be humorous while telling us to go away: "It sounds like you guys should start your own magazine." In the end, he knows we're all paid subscribers and he has every reason to want to cover a topic/brand that a meaningful minority of his readership enjoy. -Doug

and I'm betting we at least wind up with some spagetti, if not actual tortellini. My guess is that within the next half year we'll see a Fiat project of some kind. I do HOPE it will be an X though. I just don't think he'd say "Votes have been heard" if he didn't intend to respond in some affirmative way to the request. He could have just as easily said "I'll take it under advisement..." or "You've made your point, and we'll certainly keep it in mind," or, if he wanted to be humorous while telling us to go away: "It sounds like you guys should start your own magazine." In the end, he knows we're all paid subscribers and he has every reason to want to cover a topic/brand that a meaningful minority of his readership enjoy. -Doug

Now that I've thought it over, I hope they dont do an X. I mean, how good of a job would they do? A.) they'd probably not do an X justice and B.) they'd probably just nit pic the car anyways.

You're overthinking this!

They love fun thrashable little buggers, just like we do. If they proceed with something, it will be a nod towards our interest and enthusiasm. As far as telling us to go away, he doesn't want that. I guaranty it. He's a businessman, as well as an editor. He might prefer we didn't clog his website with pictures of our cars, but we have a energy and a level of enthusiasm for fun cars that are an important part of his business. Why would CMS or GRMS bother to do a project on a fun car just to trash it? They would have nothing to gain by indulging us, putting a spotlight on our prefered subject, then making fun of it. If anything, I bet they'd bend over backwards to give the Fiat a fair shot. If they do that, I trust that the X can handle things just fine on its own from there. -Doug

I can see GRMS doing an article, but wasn't CMS originally an english car rag? They'd rather sell their soul to the devil before working on a Fiat.

After watching GRMS and CMS doing a number of their "project cars", it would be best for them to NOT do an X. I'm not convinced they understand what the X is all about or it's hidden abilities, have enough technical expertise, willingness to seek and listen to experts on the X and in the end, they would end up with a flop like the Berkeley FWD "autocross" car.

If they were to do any FIAT, it would likely be a Spyder or similar front engine car.

If they were to take a performance X1/9 challenge seriously, the goal would be to produce a car that out performs a current Lotus Exige (0-60 Mph under 5 seconds, 1.3G+ skid pad on street tires and under 2000 pounds) . Its do-able, but not without help from the X-perts.

Or do a very nice original X1/9 as delivered.

Keep in mind these folks are basically automotive journalist looking to please an audience, not real car designers that do this for a real daily living.

Now that I've thought it over, I hope they dont do an X. I mean, how good of a job would they do? A.) they'd probably not do an X justice and B.) they'd probably just nit pic the car anyways.

Not a chance...

I personally do not plan to let them rest. I think it is a fun rivalry that keeps things exciting. I will put my X up against any British car and in most cases, not be disappointed. If we do not promote our cars, who will. I would like to see them at least give us the respect we deserve and NOT rely on the false stereotype that exists about X1/9s and Fiats. I am so sick of hearing Fix it again tony that I might punch the next guy who says it if I can reach him. :excited:

Anyway, controversy sells and I think the guys over there know this. As long as we don't become unreasonable, I think it is cool.

And I was actually thinking

about subscribing to CMS. I guess my mind's made up on that one. They can keep it.

Re: "We are not interested, go away."
OK, I will. Have a nice life.

Wow

There appears to be a lot of misinformation or miscommunication here.

First, when David says, "Okay, votes have been heard", that does NOT equal "We are not interested, go away."

I can tell you without a doubt that David is VERY interested in what you have to say, and has filed away notes to himself to get more Fiat coverage in the magazine. In fact, without even looking at the editorial calendar I'd bet he has more Fiat coverage planned already.

Rapunzell said: "Honestly folks, better to leave CMS alone, they have their audience and are less than interested in the X.

That's just ridiculous. Our audience is ALL classic car lovers, and that obviously includes the vibrant X community.

Rapunzell said: "They have every right do as their editorial staff chooses.

That's very true. Our editorial staff chooses to make the best magazine we can, and make it appeal to a broad range of classic car fans. We're interested in inclusion, not exclusion.

Doug wrote: My guess is that within the next half year we'll see a Fiat project of some kind. ... In the end, he knows we're all paid subscribers and he has every reason to want to cover a topic/brand that a meaningful minority of his readership enjoy

I don't know if a Fiat project will turn up or not -- you never can tell what will be next -- but I do know two Alfas were recently added to the staff stables. We like Italian cars. We like British cars. We like Swedish and German and Japanese and American cars. We like cars.
We like the communities that spring up around them, too, and we DO listen to you.

Rooster wrote: I mean, how good of a job would they do? A.) they'd probably not do an X justice and B.) they'd probably just nit pic the car anyways.

As good a job as we know how to do (which is usually pretty damn good) and why would we want to nitpick our own project car? Remember, we own and drive our project cars, and have to live with them every day. We have a personal interest in doing them well.

And I can see GRMS doing an article, but wasn't CMS originally an english car rag? They'd rather sell their soul to the devil before working on a Fiat.

Classic Motorsports was once British Car magazine (not British Motor Sport). When Tim Suddard (not Stoddard) bought it, he wanted to expand it beyond British cars. I wasn't there at the time, but I'm sure that was both a business decision and a reflection of Tim's wide and eclectic automotive tastes. Like the rest of the staff, Tim's a fan of British cars, but he loves Italian cars, and German cars, and... well, pretty much anything with wheels and and engine. In fact, when British Car magazine was reborn as Classic Motorsports, one of the very first project cars was an Italian car--an Alfa Romeo.

Anyway, that was all a very long way of saying don't think we don't love ya, 'cause we do, and we are listening.

There appears to be a lot of misinformation or miscommunication here.

First, when David says, "Okay, votes have been heard", that does NOT equal "We are not interested, go away."

I can tell you without a doubt that David is VERY interested in what you have to say, and has filed away notes to himself to get more Fiat coverage in the magazine. In fact, without even looking at the editorial calendar I'd bet he has more Fiat coverage planned already.

Rapunzell said: "Honestly folks, better to leave CMS alone, they have their audience and are less than interested in the X.

That's just ridiculous. Our audience is ALL classic car lovers, and that obviously includes the vibrant X community.

Rapunzell said: "They have every right do as their editorial staff chooses.

That's very true. Our editorial staff chooses to make the best magazine we can, and make it appeal to a broad range of classic car fans. We're interested in inclusion, not exclusion.

Doug wrote: My guess is that within the next half year we'll see a Fiat project of some kind. ... In the end, he knows we're all paid subscribers and he has every reason to want to cover a topic/brand that a meaningful minority of his readership enjoy

I don't know if a Fiat project will turn up or not -- you never can tell what will be next -- but I do know two Alfas were recently added to the staff stables. We like Italian cars. We like British cars. We like Swedish and German and Japanese and American cars. We like cars.
We like the communities that spring up around them, too, and we DO listen to you.

Rooster wrote: I mean, how good of a job would they do? A.) they'd probably not do an X justice and B.) they'd probably just nit pic the car anyways.

As good a job as we know how to do (which is usually pretty damn good) and why would we want to nitpick our own project car? Remember, we own and drive our project cars, and have to live with them every day. We have a personal interest in doing them well.

And I can see GRMS doing an article, but wasn't CMS originally an english car rag? They'd rather sell their soul to the devil before working on a Fiat.

Classic Motorsports was once British Car magazine (not British Motor Sport). When Tim Suddard (not Stoddard) bought it, he wanted to expand it beyond British cars. I wasn't there at the time, but I'm sure that was both a business decision and a reflection of Tim's wide and eclectic automotive tastes. Like the rest of the staff, Tim's a fan of British cars, but he loves Italian cars, and German cars, and... well, pretty much anything with wheels and and engine. In fact, when British Car magazine was reborn as Classic Motorsports, one of the very first project cars was an Italian car--an Alfa Romeo.

Anyway, that was all a very long way of saying don't think we don't love ya, 'cause we do, and we are listening.

LOL, I guess we're just an impatient bunch. Also, come on now, we deserve it, for years we have been enduring the whole "It's a Fiat, who make that?" or Oh, it's a Fix It Again Tony". We're really not conditioned for actual praise for our cars.

I think Baxter has valid points

It really isn't the editors or staff that have been dissing the X community. The issue I have seen is many of the readers seem to think we are invading their own personal little clubhouse....and they don't much like it. :D

It really isn't the editors or staff that have been dissing the X community. The issue I have seen is many of the readers seem to think we are invading their own personal little clubhouse....and they don't much like it. :D

They'll manage. Ya'll keep coming around (but maybe ease up on Readers' Rides a little, huh?)

The name change to "Classic Motor Sport" was their effort to increase their reader base. Focusing only on Brit cars will limit their readership, thus, the name change was most likely a strict business decision to widen their appeal and reader base.

Keep in mind, publications are there to please their readership and audience. If they did stuff to alienate their readers, their business will suffer...... which brings us back to the myth and reputation of what FIATs are back in the day when FIAT sold cars in the US.

If the car in question here is the X1/9, it's not really a FIAT.. is it?

If their readership believes FIATs are what they are, a publication who challenges this might not fair so well due to readership belief inertia and ingrained beliefs. The publication in question is not going to gain any "friends" and most lilkely going to make enemies by challangine these myths. It is easier to simply go along with the norm or what ever the readership wants to believe and build your business and infulence based on this.

It will be interesting to see how much of the FIAT myth continues on as FIAT/Chrysler starts to produce product in the US. There are daily media articles stating how crappy FIATs are to this day. This is another example of how once a reputation for a given brand is established in the market place, it is very, very difficult to change that perception.

Brett's got it. They will publish whatever sell isues, and a this vs. that series will sell more.....

Back