Need some "X" PR Help!

Good question...

Jim wrote:

"...and why would I want to 'swear at you'..?"

I dunno, Jim, maybe peer pressure? -Doug:)

Where in this article

do you get that it's a "hate piece"?
I'm asking not to defend, but I read it and can't see it. :mallet:

Oh...., ah..., yes... hmmmm?

You make a good point. I sorta skimmed it. Well...ah, maybe I was wrong. Can somebody give Tim back his free membership? I gotta go. :)-Doug

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thanks!

I'm here all week ladies and gentlemen, you've been fabulous! -Doug

Seriously, and all humor aside,

that's really my point Bob. A lot of concern has been expressed here about what CMS might do if they were to write an article on the "X"; here is one they wrote and it's really rather flattering, and pretty accurate, as well. I do wish they would provide an amount of coverage proportionate to our numbers, but I don't really think we have any reason to be concerned about their intentions if their coverage of the "X" should increase substantially. Of course, that is a very big "IF." :rolleyes2:-Doug

Soft Landings...

When the front or rear axles on your TR6 fails.

call me childish, arrogant, opinionated or........

The real "dummy" is one who ignores the warning of a designed in problem that will fail when aftermarket parts to properly correct this problem is easily and readily available from a number of TR6 parts suppliers.

Hello Doug,

A long time friend who graduated from Princeton, then became an editor/publisher and magazine empire builder once told me, "The truth is many times irrelevant, our readers just want a good read."

At the time I was totally shocked by what he said. Over the years, I started thinking about every published article I read with this in mind. It's shocking to discover what he said was true many times what was published.

Gone are the automotive writers like Phil Hill, Paul Frere and others whom I respect due to their history and accomplishments before becoming a writer.

that's really my point Bob. A lot of concern has been expressed here about what CMS might do if they were to write an article on the "X"; here is one they wrote and it's really rather flattering, and pretty accurate, as well. I do wish they would provide an amount of coverage proportionate to our numbers, but I don't really think we have any reason to be concerned about their intentions if their coverage of the "X" should increase substantially. Of course, that is a very big "IF." :rolleyes2:-Doug

Yup...

...that does happen... but not that often. Particularly with a stock car. Now if one does significant power increases without beefing up the rear... shame on them. And... as the "newest" TR6 is now ~35 years old, if one isn't checking "hub end float" on an annual basis... shame on them again.

This kind of stuff happens about as often as catastrophic ball joint failure and/or front cross member failure on a Fiat 124 (just ask me :))...

Bernice, off topic

but I'm curious... whatever happened to that '88 X that had at one time been owned by my now "late" neighbor? I think you'd purchased it from a fellow in Modesto.

Hi Bernice! And okay...

I'm sure you're right. From a business perspective, they want to please and hold the interest of their audience more than the want to be factual, though I think they'd be happy if they could do both. But we ARE part of the audience they are trying to please. My only real point in the quote you captured above was that they have never seemed to be interested in putting down the Fiat marque or the "X", so much as they just haven't bothered with them. When they do pay attention to us, the coverage is almost always reasonably accurate, positive, and interesting. Now granted, they could decide they hate Fiats because of our (my?) badgering, and then do a whole nasty article that ends with an explanation that the name "FIAT" is really just an acronym, but I doubt it; personally, I think that's just a bit of barking at the moon. And now that we have that out of the way, what on earth happened to that generally well engineered, reliable, and carefully crafted TR6?!? :wink2: :)-Doug

Last edited:
It's a pretty happy rolling restoration. All the mechanical stuff is new is some way or another, plus a few performance mods and a turn key, starts every time, fine for a daily driver car.

Next is fix the body and new paint.

I'll post some photos of this Yellow X at some point.

:)
Bernice

but I'm curious... whatever happened to that '88 X that had at one time been owned by my now "late" neighbor? I think you'd purchased it from a fellow in Modesto.

I just want to make darn sure anyone in the media is being honest, and complete truthful with ANYTHING they write about the X. If not, I'm not going to shut up and put up about it.

When Craig F at Hemmings published a short on the X1/9 that had a number of factual errors, I took him to task on it and would not let him off the hook which I suspect, resulted in the X1/9 article Hemmings published later.

As for the TR6 project, It's still in process, Mark P recently saw it live and in person recently. I'll put something together about this project later and put it up some where on the web as time permits.

As much as I have been critical of this car, it has been a FUN and challenging project for me to re-design and make stuff for it. In the end, the TR6 community might benefit from this project too.

"Happiness comes from finding ways to help others and not always trying to focus your own desires"

I'm sure you're right. From a business perspective, they want to please and hold the interest of their audience more than the want to be factual, though I think they'd be happy if they could do both. But we ARE part of the audience they are trying to please. My only real point in the quote you captured above was that they have never seemed to be interested in putting down the Fiat marque or the "X", so much as they just haven't bothered with them. When they do pay attention to us, the coverage is almost always reasonably accurate, positive, and interesting. Now granted, they could decide they hate Fiats because of our (my?) badgering, and then do a whole nasty article that ends with an explanation that the name "FIAT" is really just an acronym, but I doubt it; personally, I think that's just a bit of barking at the moon. And now that we have that out of the way, what on earth happened to that generally well engineered, reliable, and carefully crafted TR6?!? :)-Doug

I'm glad you're going to post the TR-Fix.

Hi Bernice,

Believe it or not, before all of your discussion about what a design/engineering nightmare the TR6 is, I was considering one for my next toy if I couldn't find a less spiffy late model X companion for my 78' X garage-queen. I was tempted because though the prices of "X"s have come down a little bit with the economy, I've been noticing that for some reason, the TR6 market has totally collapsed; what was a 20k TR6 two years ago is now a 12k TR6, and there are now nice, driveable TR6s everywhere for 6 to 7k!!! Your discussion of TR6 problem areas has made me have second thoughts. Maybe all these sellers have discovered what you already know? I also can't help but notice that many of the these TR6 ads for the 12k cars claim that the owners just spent 15 to 25k on a restoration! Hmmm.:wacko: -Doug

Groooaan.....

This is the stuff *we* whine about when non-FIAT people drone on with the "Fix It Again Tony" annoyance... exaggerating and perpetuating automotive folklore and myth.

I have a TR6... never lost a hub... I have a Stag with the same hubs as a TR6... 40 years old... with an engine that has 30% more torque. Haven't lost a hub. I know several other people with TR6s and they've never lost a hub. Does it happen? yes. Often?... no.

Jeez...

Hi Jim...

Sorry about bringing up a sore subject, it was not intentional, and it's mostly Bernice's fault anyway.

Three questions:

1) Have you sold the 124 to Bob yet?

2) Did you really like the Moxie, or did you just drink it for the pictures?

3) When do I get to see your complete toy collection?

Doug...

Not a sore subject... just having fun here (hope everyone paying attention realizes that). But as a fan of of both Brits and Italians, on this forum I find myself having to come to the defense of God, Queen and Empire... :)

And to answer your questions...

1. I have not sold my 124 to anyone... In fact, today I was preparing to put it on the road for the summer... if it ever stops raining.

2. My story with Moxie goes back quite some time... but before I tell you the story, you have to understand that the Moxie of today is in no way like the Moxie of 40 years ago... Back when I was a kid, my parents never liked the fact that any soda drink they bought disappeared almost immediately from the frig (I'm #4 of 5 brothers). So my Dad would buy Moxie, which back in those days was pretty hideous stuff (at least to a 10 year old)... his plan being that none of us brothers would drink it and he'd always have something. Well, to make a long story short, I just developed a taste for it...

3. You can come to my place anytime you want... I'm all of 30-40 minutes from you...

Cool!

Need some help getting the 124 out of hibernation? It's sunny out at the moment, Jean is in the on a basement organising rampage, and I'm looking for a reason to go on a bike ride! PM me the address if you feel like some help. I've been wanting to see your famous toy collection! :):):)-Doug

Back