New Gas Tank Won't Fit

I find it odd the vendor didn’t say ‘hey we have some right here that are the right size, I will get one out to you right away’ Or this is how we find we have to modify them…

If the current batch of new tanks won't fit because they were made too wide then I would rather the vendor do whatever mod needs to be done before selling them or clearly state in the ad that they don't fit and will need modification. And then they will say that once modified by the owner they cannot be returned.

I suppose I will ask, what is wrong with the old tank? I have found that normally there will be a few bad spots and all I do is weld in a patch and pressure test and paint. The tank is out any way.

TonyK.
One of mine was that bad as well. That goo is very difficult to remove. To get the tank clean, rust free, and ready to use again was a LOT of work, time and material expense. Mine happened to be solid overall and I did not realize going in how difficult it would be; I've cleaned and reused many tanks from other vintage vehicles and never had this sort of problem. So in hindsight I can see that buying a new tank could be a good idea....that is if it fit. I'm with Karl and Carl about the seller's response. This is beginning to sound like their poor fitting adjustable cam sprocket, leaking radiator, and several other examples. :(

One of mine was that bad as well. That goo is very difficult to remove. To get the tank clean, rust free, and ready to use again was a LOT of work, time and material expense. Mine happened to be solid overall and I did not realize going in how difficult it would be; I've cleaned and reused many tanks from other vintage vehicles and never had this sort of problem.
I had a company strip and re-coat my Scorpion's gas tank and it was apparently quite the process. It did come with a lifetime corrosion warranty though (they put a metal tag on the tank to confirm it as their work). I can try to find the name of the company if anyone wants it, it was in WA state.

Back