New member, Old owner, Actual AFST Certified Mechanic!

halojm

True Classic
Just a quick introduction. I just picked up an early 1980 carburated X 1/9 from the original owner with 40000 original miles. They stopped driving it and it sat outside since 1987, so it has some surface rust and the (Bordeaux) paint is incredibly faded. However, back in the late 1970s to early 1980s, I was a Certified AFST mechanic (What, you didn't know what a Association of Fiat Service Technicians was called!) and I raced a 1974 X 1/9 (and won locally) in D-Stock. So it all came flooding back to me. It took a week to get it running and another week to get it roadworthy (It helped that I still had all my old manuals and service letters.). I've been looking thru the threads on this forum and they're great! I wish I had this info back when I used to work (for a living) on these cars - it would have saved me all sorts of time.

Welcome

Halo....welcome. I never knew there were certified Fiat mechanics in the US. Congratulations on your car, welcome BACK to Fiats. There's no doubt that you will quickly become a resource here due to your knowledge. Please post pictures of your work and progress, and please hang out and banter with us. Thanks for dropping by!!

PixPixPix

Everything you say is no more than :read: words on a screen until you post the pix!

We :love: to see Pix on our :pc:

:laugh:But seriously, welcome aboard! And x2 what Duane wrote...

PIX PIX PIX

FiatX19Before2-1.jpg
FiatX19During1.jpg
SCCA1983.jpg
AFSTCertification.jpg

Wow...

There you have it.....a CERTIFIED Fiat Mechanic. I love it, thanks for posting Dave, looks like you're journey is beginning anew, best wishes. I expect that you will quickly assimilate this information here and become a helper to those needing help. The cumulative wisdom and experience here with X's is truly staggering and there is absolutely none other like it on the web. You, oh Certified Fiat Mechanic, have arrived at the Mother Ship!! Please stick with us!

Hey, since you are in Philly, you may want to join us at this year's Freak Out in Valley Forge!

Going to miss the Freak Out

I believe the Freak Out is in August and, unfortunately, I'll be in Korea with the Army for the month of August, but my daughter might bring the car to the Freak Out.

Thank God for you! Now we have ONE man we can ask...

... all our questions...

Please list your 24 hour telephone number here...

HAHAHA!

Hey...congrats and welcome... lots of experience here with the carbed 1500s and a few tricks you still might not know and will want to know.

Do ASK HERE FIRST before doing anything... as many here have "been there, done that"... and there may be some easier, cheaper, better ways NOW to do things ya once did.

Again... welcome back. (I think it would more accurately be defined as a RELAPSE!)

Welcome To The X Family

Thanks for sharing the images and certs.

Curious, what was required to be certified by FIAT North America back in the day?

Fiat certificate

Dave,
Who was running the technical department back when you got certified? My memory has forgotten those names...

AFST Certification

If I remember correctly (and my memory might be a little foggy after 25-30 years), some of the certification was done in house at the Fiat dealership I worked at on customer's and delership Fiats, while some classroom work was provided at nearby schools by Fiat Technical Advisors who traveled around the country providing the training. The testing was similar to the NIASE (now ASE) testing, just purely for Fiats.

Fiat Technical Service Advisors

Chris, I've also forgotten those names, but I'm still good friends with the Fiat dealership owner's son, and he is the ultimate pack-rat. I'm sure he has that stuff laying around and I'll see him when I return from Korea. We're going to root around the old Fiat dealership and see what goodies we can find. (He already 'reminded me' that I left a 1971 Fiat 850 Racer there and he's been storing it for me for over 2 decades!) I'll let you know. Dave
Fiat850Racer1.jpg

Last edited:
What's the location of the old FIAT dealership? I bought my first new car, an X1/9, at a FIAT dealership that was right along (City [Line] Avenue, IIRC not too far from the Bala Cynwyd SEPTA station.

Harrisburg

Dan, I'll be in NE Philly tomorrow (Sunday) working and might get a chance to stop by to see your project. I'd especially like to see it since it sounds like you're just about done with your tranny and I just yanked mine out and tore it down today. you can contact me at david.t.may*comcast.net or 215-776-2082.

Thanks,
Dave

Sunday's Kinda Tight.....

....I also have a work commitment for late morning, then I will be helping my brother with a home repair tomorrow afternoon.

My trans is almost all back together. I was struggling with the task of applying 87 ft-lbs of torque to the two shaft nuts, couldn't seem to get the trans to stay :mallet: put while simultaneously cranking on the torque wrench:dunce:!! Must have looked like a monkey ******* a football, as we used to say in the Army!

But I have an idea........:)

Torque those nuts!

Dan,

You can put a rag between the gears to keep the shafts from turning while you torque the nuts or, if you have a calibrated impact wrench, that's even easier. Sorry I'll miss you today, I'm about 10 minutes away, near Rhawn and Bustleton.

Dave

Fiat Service/Sales Reps

I talked with my former brother in law and dug through some old Service Department paperwork and we came up with 3 names from the late 70s to early 80s who were Fiat Service /Sales Reps:

Fabrio Fausto
Ed Brinko
Al Capatano

Unfortunately, all of them were well into their 50s so it's doubtfull they are still with us.

Dave

Back