New member, Old owner, Actual AFST Certified Mechanic!

The problem is not keeping the shafts from turning, that can be dealt with by engaging any gear 1-4 and then also engaging 5th by sliding its collar down (as described in Steve H's 5-speed 101).

The problem is physically anchoring the trans on the bench while trying to crank in 87 ft lbs.

Since my garage bench has a double plywood top, I just drilled two holes in it--the two studs (1 big, 1 small) that stay in the case fit into the holes and it's pinned to the benchtop solid as a rock. :lol:

Glad to hear

your trans is together. I saw on another post it's all back together and you're trying to figure out what to paint it with. I'm waiting on a few more parts, then mine is going back together. What internal pieces did yours need? I discovered mine had previously been apart, but they had only replaced the 1st and 2nd gear synchros, not the gears that were really worn out. I had to replace 1st and 2nd gears and synchros, 1-2 sleeve, 3-4 fork, and 5th fork. Did you lighten the flywheel when you had the trans out?

Dave

I replaced the driven shaft, gears RI, 1, 2, 3, the 1-2 and 3-4 sliders & forks, all 5 synchros, all 6 bearings, 5 bushings, and the case (which I accidentally damaged:mad4: while it was apart). Other than the case, all repair parts were new parts. Oh, clutch, PP, and TO bearing are new, too.

The diff bearings were done, and the gears were just barely on the good side of serviceable except for 1st, its synchro cone area was done. Synchros 1 & 2 were done. The rest of the parts mentioned were worn but still serviceable, but were replaced to make it a top-shelf job. It was leaking, too. The car has lo miles but by the smell of the gear oil they probably were using GL5 for a long time which might have something to do with the synchro and gear cone wear.

My machine shop checked the flywheel for surface condition and trueness and it was fine. Even though many here have extolled the virtues of doing so, I did not want to lighten the flywheel, I prefer the higher degree of smoothness the stock flywheel provides.

Welcome to the forum. I also lived in Philly for several years - in Merion, just across from the train station. Also a retired Army Reservist, but I was with a unit at Ft. Bragg during the time that I lived in Philly (don't ask - it is a long story).

It is good to have you aboard. You will find a great group of men and women with a plethora of knowledge on Fiats - although it sounds like you will be able to contribute more than you will receive. If you have any questions, toss them out and you will receive a multitude of answers literally from around the world.

My best,
Allen Mandlebaum

Ft. Bragg

Spent many quality years there, and out at Camp Mackall (I think they renamed part of it Camp Rowe now, after COL Nick Rowe, a Vietnam POW and my School Commandant the first time I went thru the SFQC)...

Dave

Bragg

I knew Nick from our old 5th Grp days. I knew Nick and Danny Pitzer both. I saw Nick several times after he was recalled and am still not sure that I believe the report on his death. Nick would never have been that careless.

I started out with the 7th Grp doing TDYs in Laos in the very early 60s as an EM. Did one regular enlisted tour up in I Corp. Got a direct commission to 1LT, put in a brief stop in DomRep to insure that things went our way, then moved over to the 5th Grp did a couple of tours as an officer. Played a practical joke on the post commandant at Bragg, which found me VN bound in a MuMu (another story for another day) for a 4th tour. Came back to the 20th Grp as a reserve officer and ended up back at Bragg in the late 70s. Put in some DC time and retired after Desert Storm in 92.

I should have picked up on the HALO in your ID. Sometime, via PM, we can discuss the old days. I still jump on occasion, but the landings are not as kind to me as they once were. My last will be on Memorial Day of 2010 for my 50th high school class reunion, when several of us alums will jump into the football stadium. After that, I will have a much needed lower back surgery, which will probably preclude any more jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

Kindest regards,
Allen

Allen, De Oppresso Liber

Good to hear another SF guy likes a good X 1/9. Alot of my SF brothers consider it too much of a 'chick' car. I think they just have problems with their own sexuality! Nick Rowe was a great guy, and I only knew him as my School Commandant. Apparently, he made such a good impression on me that I forgot how tough the SFQC was and, after I went to OCS, they made me go back through the SFQC again as an officer! I'd enjoy talking to you sometime about the good old days of SF. It's changed some, but we're still training indigeneous personnel in foreign lands to fight their own wars. Check out my thread in the NFC section for some of the cool toys we get to play with. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Dave

Bragg baby too

I wasn't SF, but spent most of my 10 years at Bragg before I broke my hip and was medically retired in 2003. Was a scout with 4/325 82nd then went to do SatCom with 514th Sig Co, 35th Sig Bgd. I've heard that things have really changed down there in recent years. Wouldn't recognize the place.

You wouldn't recognize the place!

First of all, it's huge and getting larger every year. They are estimating by 2012, 25% of the Active Duty forces will be stationed at Bragg. Womack Hospital is just a smaller Clinical Facility! Also, while some of the classic questionable haunts are still along Bragg Blvd (like Rick's Place and The Bottoms Up), the really questionable places on Haye St are gone, leveled, replaced by (get this) the Special Operations and Airborne Museum. That's right, they built a museum right over the very ground where so many guys at Bragg found a little pleasure. How appropriate!

Dave

Back