New Member saying hi.

jrweikle

True Classic
Hi, joined xweb to day after checking out some of the post.
I was driving around the other day and discovered this 79 x19 sitting in the back of a car lot. I offered them 500 dollars and they took it. it has 79k miles on it. the back glass has been broken, the drivers seat will need repair (i will get them re covered when the time comes) and the carbs are missing ( i was told it had two but i think it was a single but i am not sure). As I get this car running and restored I will be asking quite a few question (after searching the forums first of course) and whish to say thanks in advance for any help that is offered me.
image-A2EB_4C0A260C.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jrweikle

I have rear window glass available if you can't find it locally. (cheap-cheap!)
Welcome to the parr-tee.
We'd like to see pictures of your ride when you get the chance.
Enjoy!

Hi new memeber

Welcome. As you probably already know that this forum is packed with alot of knowledgable people pertaining to x's .

Your x came stock with one carb. but it doesn't mean that someone had replaced it at one time with a dual set up.

When you get a chance take some pictures of it's state right now. I'm sure everyone would like to see how much of a project this is.

Welcome jr

Let's see some pics of the car and particularly the engine bay. Then we can try to figure out what the carb setup was by looking at the intake manifold. Of course, if the manifold is missing the car could have had dual carbs that were sold off. :(

Hickory? You're just down the road from me in Durham!

I have a good rear glass that is yours for the effort of pulling it off the parts car.

The stock carb for a '79 would be a single 28/30 DHTA, but the 32 DATRA from the earlier 1300 cars would be a better choice: same manifold bolt pattern, less strange weird emissions-motivated vacuum plumbing, way easier to set up, better power... I'm running 32 carbs on 1500 motors on two of my cars now.

If your car once had dual carbs, then someone dropped a non-trivial amount of money into it sometime in the past, and it wouldn't be surprising to find some other go-fast bits on it as well.

Welcome jrweikle

You are into a world of fun.
Don't hesitate to ask any question at all. We love questions and photos.
No question is too stupid to be asked...

Ok so I messed up adding the pictures. here they are now I hope.
I have not got it dragged home yet. and unfortunately fr me I have two other porjects to coplete before I can start on this one.
(my daughter really wants her Nissan truck on the road first she 16 and a half at that age ya gotta put the half) I figure I will get to stat on it at the end of summer and hopefully have it drivable by the time spring gets here next year. I believe your right about the carb the intake appaears to be fo a single and I have only located a single breather for it. I will getsome pictures of the interior and engine some time this week with a better camera (these were taken with my cell phone)
image-574F_4C0A260C.jpg

image-F9DD_4C0A260C.jpg

image-A2EB_4C0A260C.jpg

I would more than happy to drive to durham one saturday to remove a back glass. let me know how to get in touch with you and we can discusss when it be would be approprate time to do this.
and thanks a bunch.

Let me add my Welcome, Jr.

Looks like a fairly complete and solid car...

Do adjust the focus on your camera a little and we can help some more...

BTW... if your daughter is 16 she can work on her own car... Mine did at 15!

Now go drag that X1/9 home and get started on it NOW! Once you get it running your daughter will probably wanna claim it... but do NOT give into the temptation... Youngsters are not good for X1/9s!

HA!

Look forward to hearing more from you...

Just send me a private message...

I would more than happy to drive to durham one saturday to remove a back glass. let me know how to get in touch with you and we can discusss when it be would be approprate time to do this.
and thanks a bunch.

The forum has a private message facility... drop me a line and we can pick a Saturday that works.

Hi Jrweikle

You should come out to the Fiat Freak Out in Asheville in a few weeks (8-11 July) to get really inspired. Then we'll see who's car gets fixed first!

Dave

Yes I know I got her out early she was changing oil a 14 and did a brake job(with supervision) at 15 she's put in park plugs and changed tires. the truck we got her a 1990 nissan truck for $500 that has been sitting for ten years she helped put in the fuel tank last weekend. I will try to get to ashville that wek end to see that and as far as the pictures they were takenwith my cell I plan on going out and taking lots more pictures with m regular digital camera (they will be much better pics) these pictures were taken the day I paid for it and that is all I had with me.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a good one there.

Could be a twin! As you will find out, we have a lot of '79s on here and we can help sort things out as you get into things.Sometimes just a picture is helpful is figuring out what's missing. Here is the engine bay on the Crab, which should help you start assessing whats missing.
Stock '79 (more or less)
79.jpg

Good for her! Now as to Larry's foto...

... which would be a GOOD example to follow, BTW... is also of a car with A/C, a custom coolant reservoir, extra fuel filter and regulator... and probably a few other additional things I don't recognize.

So don't be too concerned about what yours might be missing... Mine runs extremely well with half of that stuff gone.

(I am a bit apprehensive about the missing carb on yours, though... I wonder what else may be gone. But do take fotos and and we can get ya patched up and going again... We'll be here.)

Jrweikle, don't let that photo intimidate you...

LarryC likes to show off (and I don't blame him - I'd be showing off that engine bay if I owned it! Keeping an unmolested '79 is something of an achievement)

In stock trim, the '79 has an amazing amount of stuff under the hood as Fiat struggled to clear emissions regulations with a carb. But underneath all that, there's an honest straightforward engine that runs just fine without all those strange weird WTF-is-that boxes and hoses and gizmos, and that can be tuned pretty well just by ear... Although I do suggest that because you'll be needing a carb, you go with a 32 DATRA from a 75-78 car because it is way simpler.

Ha!Ha!ha! My point being from past experience....

...that every time I picked up a car of unknown previous owner meddling:hmm2:, I would have given some coin if someone would have just shown me a clean example of what was suppose to be there (more or less as it were). That way I would have a baseline. And with this baseline then you can go from there and delete or mod with some idea what you are doing to the system as a whole.
Forums like this are pure gold compared to the old days when you were on your own.

A good source of originality

is the Brooklands Books "Gold Portfolio" series of magazine article compilations. I have one for my X, and in it you can find "original" images of engine bays from '74 through Bertone US and EU models.

I found this kind of journalism resource a necessity when I rebuilt the emissions system on my '75 Scirocco as required for WA state emissions testing back in the late 80's.

You'd be surprised what details you can spot.

But the full color, on demand pics of other forum members is better! :D

Back