New Member saying hi.

Hi

Welcome, I live just up the road from you in Wilkesboro. I dont have a lot of mechanical experience but I'd be happy to help with anything I can. There is a lot of great info and people on here to help you. I have some extra parts if you need something let me know and I'll see if I can help. I have a stock carb for that model if you want it. I bought it as an extra just in case, but now I am going to switch to a 34 DAT and remove my emissions crap. I also have all the bumper spoiler bits if you need them...I just took them all off my 1980 and am going with euro bumpers. Glad to see a "local" with a X!

Take care,
Michael

Seems to be a lot of nice people on here and thanks for all the great welcomes to the forum. I need to say that this is not my first x I had one when I was 19 (I am currently 47) I had it for 4 months and it was a great little car right up until that van ran over the front end. I could not find another in the area then so I had to buy a celica. I have some descent machanical ablity that I have developed over the years. The car lot manager told me that one of his mechanics said the carburator needed rebuilt and was giving the ok to do that. he quit several years ago and never rebuilt the carb. and the carb was tossed out when they did a bunch of cleaning up. I will take my camera and take some pics tomorrow and try to post them tomorrow evening. I know that the x has a timing belt and as it has sit that long it will need to be replaced. I am sure that I will need to drop and examine the fuel tank and probaly need to clean it out. must rubber parts will need to be examined closly. I assume (I know what that word means) that I can still get brake pads points and minor parts at my local Advance Auto Parts or other.

Advance Auto and the like

I assume (I know what that word means) that I can still get brake pads points and minor parts at my local Advance Auto Parts or other.

A surprising number of parts are still available from Advance Auto, AutoZone, and the like, especially if you're willing to wait a day or so. But if they don't have it, your best bet is one of the vendors. for someone living in North Carolina, it's always worth checking with IAP at http://www.international-auto.com/ because they're so close that orders to them arrive a day or so sooner than any of the others.

before I post more pictures

ShouldI start a new thread somewhere else or will it be ok to continue here?

latest pics

Here is the Pics I took of My X
after looking at the Pics on here and comparing with mine I have come to the conclusion that it did not have dual carbs. It appears that the only thing missing is the carb and it looks to have a stock set up. I hope to be moving it this week end and will start the clean up
33jqzyh.jpg

This picture is from the passenger side (as if i need to tell you that)

2zs730x.jpg

sorry about the sun in this one
the next picture is of driver side door it will need some tlc

2mf0lzn.jpg

as will the front

23maa1j.jpg

I would however like to know what this is and how difficult it will be to find a replacement (part circled in red)

osu4w5.jpg

here is a picture of the breather as well as a shot of part of the interior

zxjyva.jpg

here is one of the storage area
24dm2ic.jpg

I have more pics and can get more if something sticks out as needing to be seen closer

The thing circled in red

I would however like to know what this is and how difficult it will be to find a replacement (part circled in red)

osu4w5.jpg

I am pretty sure that is some type of relay for an AC system. Does the car have AC controls in the center of the dash? If not, I am obviously wrong! :)

Looks like you have quite a project coming up. Keep posting and we will do our best to help.

litte thing in red

yes it does have ac controls on the dash
so that should be easy to replace correct (even if i have to manufacture a sutible replacement as I do have an electronics back ground)

Fan resistor?

I think that's the resistor for the heater fan, it creates the 3 speeds. I think it normally would be located in the heater box, but with A/C cars they stick it in there. On a late model Bertone it's on the other side.

Certainly looks like a project, but not as bad as many that have been brought back.

Congrats!

welcome

the best part about that car...it was originally red! no need to mickey mouse with a color change when you repaint :grin:

The obligatory next step after seeing the better pics (and moving the car to a clean/well lit place) is to do the full inspection. Rust inspection more specifically. The surface rust on the body had me worried! But the shock towers appear solid. That's what usually separates the restorables from the parts cars. And although there's some big rust patches, I don't see any perforation. Looks like you found it just in time!

Have fun, good luck, and lean on us here at the forum we love to help and it'll make your life a HECK of a lot easier.

Pm me

With what you want for the carb. After looking on here and checking out all the other info I could find I believe I am on the right track.

My plan

is to get it cleaned up first, then running second (fixing the rusted sections first of course at least well enuff the rust gets no worse)
then I will look at modding the engine later. I am not looking for HP as I will hop into my 92 Camaro z28 if I wish to lay rubber so to speak (really can't be wasting money on Tires just to make some smoke). I am really looking for a nice little weekend driver to go and have fun with. If I get in in good shape might even take it to a few car shows around locally.

Lookng at the pics...

...hopefully no small animals hve taken up residence down that intake opening! Looks like some nesting materials atop the engine.

I thought it was for the wipers

I thought it was for the wipers, but I've always just thought "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and have never had to mess with it.

welcome to the X family.. Good to see another abandoned X being under go the process of getting back on the road.

Bernice

Hi, joined xweb to day after checking out some of the post.
I was driving around the other day and discovered this 79 x19 sitting in the back of a car lot. I offered them 500 dollars and they took it. it has 79k miles on it. the back glass has been broken, the drivers seat will need repair (i will get them re covered when the time comes) and the carbs are missing ( i was told it had two but i think it was a single but i am not sure). As I get this car running and restored I will be asking quite a few question (after searching the forums first of course) and whish to say thanks in advance for any help that is offered me.

Working on my X

Went today and pumped up the tires on my X and pulled it out of the weeds. cleaned out the dead brush that was in the engine bay. jacked it up and checked the under side and took these pictures.
2a8iann.jpg

i was a little too close on the gas tank

2guk1tw.jpg

2hmir15.jpg

looks like it had a slight oil leak when it was running

2a3y2p.jpg

21jbxxu.jpg

I put a battery in her and the head lights came up (they would not go back down but I did not check in on it yet)
29vmjxz.jpg

the front two tires would not hold air actually passenger side blew out while I was standing there oh well gonna need tires any how
I slipped the used Carb on that EricH gave me yesterday (thanks Eric)
gave it a shot of starter fluid and guess what it ran (only ran it for a minute or so) I was so pleased to hear the sound of the engine

24xf81i.jpg

WOW... you even have the original 13"...

... beauty rims!

If ya repaint the wheels ALL Silver and polish these up you'll have a now UNIQUE set of wheels and and I think you'll like the look.

Conats... order a set of Sumitomos all around and I guarantee you'll be happy with those also.

So it RAN! Good electronics then... Sounds like a fuel issue... pump or tank or filter or probably all three...

We're here cheering you on... keep in touch... we'll help!

i actually had disconnected the fuel line and this was a used carb i did not have all the vacuum lines connected as i did not wish to actually run the engine much as i know i need to replace timing belt and radiator hoses and do a full check of the fuel system before running it long term

Back