New reproduction intake manifolds, single DCNF

I can give you street driving report but taking each setup to my dyno shop would get expensive. Maybe some sort of street app for my phone?
Seems you could combine a smart phone app (e.g. something like what Pete listed) with a little scientific research methodology to achieve some sort of testing routine. Try to use multiple tests that show a variety of performance aspects; acceleration from a stand still, top speed, acceleration at different speed ranges and with each gear, etc. For the methodology concerns, try to eliminate as many non-relevant variables as possible so you are focusing on the differences due to the induction only, and not unrelated things (as much as is practical). For example, find a good place to do your testing with no traffic and establish a driving pattern that you can repeat each time. Make a check-list of things to do as you perform the test and follow the same procedure each time. If possible do all tests under similar weather conditions, road conditions, vehicle condition, etc. Don't make any other changes to your engine beyond the induction set-ups, use the same fuel, cargo load, etc, etc...you get the idea. Have a record-log to record the results and repeat each test 3 or 4 times to obtain an average for each one. It won't be perfect but the more objective you can be about it the better the findings. It should show if there's any significant differences between the carbs. Then you can add your subjective findings as well; were there any obvious driveability issues, did the engine stumble or die, etc. This will be a lot of work to get each set-up jetted properly and dialed-in, but it would be very interesting to see the results.

Last edited:
Finish.

Attachments

• 20180129_181633.jpg
    20180129_181633.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180129_181641.jpg
    20180129_181641.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180129_181651.jpg
    20180129_181651.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 58
Carl, I can supply you with all of the stuff I listed. I have quite a collection of carbs. I also have some gaskets. If you have a 34 DMTR you should probably use it but there were different versions of that carb so it would be good to figure out which 34 DMTR is best to test. Same for the intakes, but I would think the '74 would be the best one to use as it's a common upgrade.
I think you're going to have to change the intake manifold 3 or 4 times.
1 - change from the DCOEs to stock manifold to test the 32 DMTR, and 34 DMTR. Next change the stock manifold out to the manifold modified to use DCNF carbs to test the 36 DCNF and 40 DCNF. Then of course you'll want to put your DCOEs back on - right?
Any interest in testing dual 36 DCNFs and 40 DCNFs too? How about 45 DCOEs?
Perhaps we should start a new thread and put together a plan?
Are you planning on testing with a stock cam or something more aggressive or both. I think that could change the results quite a bit, not to mention other engine tweaks.

Ya, what ever happened with these comparison tests?
I did not notice how old this post was when I responded. I was going through the new unread stuff and somehow landed on it. But, I'll second what Jeff said - Any test results?

If someone sends me the manifold and carb I would be happy to test it. I'll even do a before and after dyno test comparing to the 34 DATRA I have on the car now. Internally my 1500 is stock, just a header and turbo muffler.

Back